Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2015-06-11, 07:59 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWest15 View Post
Well we purchased our lot in April 2014 with a closing date of July 2015. Of course we weren't worried about delays either - they had over a year to build our house. Plus, we specifically asked if there would be delays multiple times and they emphatically said no. We figured even in the worst case scenario, if construction was held up, that we would at least be moving in by the end of the summer or early fall and that would be fine. But now all this has happened. They have yet to even break ground on our home. By the time we actually move in, it will be almost 2 years since we signed the agreement. Unacceptable. And that's of course assuming they make this new date of February 2016.

Every single customer that purchased here was duped. They were still signing purchase agreements with phony closing dates even after having sent out delay notices. They knew exactly what they were doing. I guess it was easier to sell lots with summer/fall closing dates so they lied to people??? We never would have purchased this lot if we knew we'd be closing in February. Who the heck wants to move in the middle of winter?? It is the worst time to move! It is going to be extremely difficult to sell our current home in the winter, that's for sure. Our children will have to transfer schools and daycare mid-year. This has added so much extra stress to our family. And again, they knew exactly what they were doing and don't care. The people that we've spoken to - they just brush us off with the attitude of "well, too bad for you." They have no intention of trying to make customers feel better over a situation they created. Given how horrible our dealings with this company have been so far and we have yet to even break ground, I am terrified of what horrors lie ahead once we actually get to the building phase. I can't say that I have much faith.

Anyways, let this be a cautionary tale to others. This isn't the first time they've done this and it's unlikely to be the last.
I HIGHLY recommend you put your house on the market sooner than later. Try to sell now or soonish, and then you can easily find a month-to-month rental in the meantime. As I've mentioned in other threads, it's possible to save several months of what you would be paying for utilities/mortgage/property taxes, to put towards your closing costs or things to buy for your new home.

I don't recommend you trying to sell in the Winter. As you said, this will be a tough time to do so, and you may not get the price you're looking for.

If I was in your position, I'd prefer to sell my current home and get it out of the way ahead of time, so you don't have to worry about it later.

Old 2015-06-11, 08:04 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkStnBerk2 View Post
I HIGHLY recommend you put your house on the market sooner than later. Try to sell now or soonish, and then you can easily find a month-to-month rental in the meantime. As I've mentioned in other threads, it's possible to save several months of what you would be paying for utilities/mortgage/property taxes, to put towards your closing costs or things to buy for your new home.

I don't recommend you trying to sell in the Winter. As you said, this will be a tough time to do so, and you may not get the price you're looking for.

If I was in your position, I'd prefer to sell my current home and get it out of the way ahead of time, so you don't have to worry about it later.
Plus, with the Ottawa market the way it is (SLOW) sooner is better. We just moved into a condo - houses on our street typically go within a couple of weeks, but ours took two months - two very nerve-wracking ones!
Old 2015-06-11, 08:55 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwgreen View Post
Plus, with the Ottawa market the way it is (SLOW) sooner is better. We just moved into a condo - houses on our street typically go within a couple of weeks, but ours took two months - two very nerve-wracking ones!
Very true. The market is flat or leaning towards a buyer's market really. There's a lot of inventory out there. Seems to be all about timing and pricing your home right.

So better to give more time, than try to do everything last minute.

Old 2015-06-11, 04:29 PM
Regular User

So does this mean that people that has gotten their Mattamy U invitation are still en route for their set closing dates?
Old 2015-06-11, 06:46 PM
Regular User

No it doesn't. A better chance but no certainty.
Old 2015-06-12, 08:24 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWest15 View Post
Well we purchased our lot in April 2014 with a closing date of July 2015. Of course we weren't worried about delays either - they had over a year to build our house. Plus, we specifically asked if there would be delays multiple times and they emphatically said no. We figured even in the worst case scenario, if construction was held up, that we would at least be moving in by the end of the summer or early fall and that would be fine. But now all this has happened. They have yet to even break ground on our home. By the time we actually move in, it will be almost 2 years since we signed the agreement. Unacceptable. And that's of course assuming they make this new date of February 2016.

Every single customer that purchased here was duped. They were still signing purchase agreements with phony closing dates even after having sent out delay notices. They knew exactly what they were doing. I guess it was easier to sell lots with summer/fall closing dates so they lied to people??? We never would have purchased this lot if we knew we'd be closing in February. Who the heck wants to move in the middle of winter?? It is the worst time to move! It is going to be extremely difficult to sell our current home in the winter, that's for sure. Our children will have to transfer schools and daycare mid-year. This has added so much extra stress to our family. And again, they knew exactly what they were doing and don't care. The people that we've spoken to - they just brush us off with the attitude of "well, too bad for you." They have no intention of trying to make customers feel better over a situation they created. Given how horrible our dealings with this company have been so far and we have yet to even break ground, I am terrified of what horrors lie ahead once we actually get to the building phase. I can't say that I have much faith.

Anyways, let this be a cautionary tale to others. This isn't the first time they've done this and it's unlikely to be the last.
Any idea what the cause for the delay is?

From reading this board and other sites, it seems Mattamy had issues with building permits in certain phases of Fairwinds before but I thought that has all been resolved since...it will soon be 10 years when Mattamy first came to town (how time flies!) and you would think they are familiar with all the processess at the City by now...

If it is not a permit issue then I have a really hard time understanding how and why it will take them more than 1 year to build a home. Lack of qualified trades, perhaps? Maybe they are spreading too thin with Half Moon Bay in full swing and now Orleans?

Hope it all works out for you folks in the end and good luck with the sale!
Old 2015-06-12, 08:57 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chestnut_B View Post
Any idea what the cause for the delay is?

From reading this board and other sites, it seems Mattamy had issues with building permits in certain phases of Fairwinds before but I thought that has all been resolved since...it will soon be 10 years when Mattamy first came to town (how time flies!) and you would think they are familiar with all the processess at the City by now...

If it is not a permit issue then I have a really hard time understanding how and why it will take them more than 1 year to build a home. Lack of qualified trades, perhaps? Maybe they are spreading too thin with Half Moon Bay in full swing and now Orleans?

Hope it all works out for you folks in the end and good luck with the sale!
Fairwinds West is being built on a previously undeveloped piece of land. There are MANY steps, permits, approvals of work, etc, that go into developing land.

Mattamy, Tartan, and Tamarack were all selling closing dates well before a shovel even hit that ground. They had to blast rock to begin with before they could even install and underground systems.

So it has nothing to do with putting blame on the trades. Delays once the foundation is in the ground, can be attributed to trades, delays on delivery of materials, so on and so forth. But this case has nothing to do with any of the above.

Old 2015-06-12, 09:01 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkStnBerk2 View Post
Fairwinds West is being built on a previously undeveloped piece of land. There are MANY steps, permits, approvals of work, etc, that go into developing land.

Mattamy, Tartan, and Tamarack were all selling closing dates well before a shovel even hit that ground. They had to blast rock to begin with before they could even install and underground systems.

So it has nothing to do with putting blame on the trades. Delays once the foundation is in the ground, can be attributed to trades, delays on delivery of materials, so on and so forth. But this case has nothing to do with any of the above.
Is Poole Creek the community name where Tartan and Tamarack are/will be building?

From your post, it sounds like the folks buying in Poole Creek (if that is the right area we are talking about) should anticipate delays as well so I take that this is not a Mattamy's problem, per se?
Old 2015-06-12, 09:16 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chestnut_B View Post
Is Poole Creek the community name where Tartan and Tamarack are/will be building?

From your post, it sounds like the folks buying in Poole Creek (if that is the right area we are talking about) should anticipate delays as well so I take that this is not a Mattamy's problem, per se?
Yes, Poole Creek is right next to it.

I don't know about their closings. All I know is when I went into Tartan, they told me their first available closings were January of 2016. So it seems like they were a bit more realistic with the closing dates than Mattamy has been. I went in there when they only had one or two lots sold. I don't know about Tamarack though, but they normally partner up with Tartan for everything, so I can't see them selling closings well before Tartan.

Old 2015-06-12, 09:51 AM
Regular User

The current Poole Creek phase is a rectangular piece south of Maple Grove and between two Mattamy parcels.

Fair winds west is two parcels. One south of maple grove and east of johnwoods,just west of Poole creek. There is a second piece north of maple grove.

The land development work has been underway for months. Road bases are in, fire hydrants and the like. Not sure if Taggart is doing both areas. For sure the Tartan/Tamarack piece.

More work to do plus inspections etc before home builders can build anything. Early approvals on model homes are the exception.

No way to know what is holding things up. Could be a resources conflict - there are finite resources for road building and 'underground' services work, and lots of demand.