Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2008-03-20, 03:33 PM
Regular User

Default Interlock Driveway

Hi everyone,
Just was wondering if anyone has ever had their driveways done with interlock? Did it cost you a lot? Is it worth doing? What tips would you give to somelooking to get this done?

At it stands I have a shared gravel driveway with a neighbour. Before it gets paved I'm thinking of having interlock done. If my neigbour doesn't get it done this will at least distinguish between their side and ours. So I'm looking at a small single driveway of about 2 meters by 4 meters or there abouts.
Thanks again.
Old 2008-03-20, 04:29 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalearm View Post
Hi everyone,
Just was wondering if anyone has ever had their driveways done with interlock? Did it cost you a lot? Is it worth doing? What tips would you give to somelooking to get this done?

At it stands I have a shared gravel driveway with a neighbour. Before it gets paved I'm thinking of having interlock done. If my neigbour doesn't get it done this will at least distinguish between their side and ours. So I'm looking at a small single driveway of about 2 meters by 4 meters or there abouts.
Thanks again.
It is a lot more expensive than getting it paved, that is for sure. I do not have the quotes for my single lane driveway, so I cannot tell you much more expensive (at least 2x, maybe 3x).

The key is to make sure they have a solid base. Otherwise you will end up with "ruts" where you park/drive up your driveway.

Whoever you ask to do the work, get some references. And get addresses of jobs they did 3-5 years ago, and then go see the driveways - it will tell you how well it was built.
Old 2008-03-20, 08:33 PM
Regular User

Get some quotes but keep in mind that if it's not done properly, it will look like crap in a year. I'm having Prebbel do my interlock patio this spring. They are not cheap but apparently do great work.
Old 2008-03-20, 09:14 PM
Regular User

I agree with the other posters we had interlock done last summer and the person we hired brought in some kids to "help" him. Well needless to say it looks like crap now that we've had this winter weather and it will have to be (partially) redone. Any idea how much it would cost to fix interlock that has come apart?
Old 2008-03-20, 09:54 PM
Regular User

You should have a one year warranty from your installer. I'd contact them and fight I bit. We've had a bad winter but if they installed it properly it should have made it or they shouold at least give you a deal on fixing it.

I wouldn't get a full driveway done because it costs a lot and you'll never get it back on resale. Walkways I think are a good investment but I don't think an interlock vs paved driveway is a make or break on deciding to buy a home and I wouldn't pay extra to buy a home with it.
Old 2008-03-20, 10:34 PM
Regular User

Haven't received any quotes yet but as soon as I do I will post them. Good to know about thinking about it long term, than just when it's done at that time. It might be worth just having it as a pathway, instead of a full driveway. As I guess most people don't make their decision to buy the house based on the driveway.
Old 2008-03-21, 02:29 PM
Regular User

I would highly recommend taking the pathway/walkway route. It looks quite snazzy to have some interlock around the outside, leading up into an interlock driveway.

Interlock for the whole driveway is, as others have mentioned, very expensive, and also likely to wear badly due to all the weight from cars driving on it. I would never to a full interlock driveway for that reason!
Old 2008-03-21, 06:43 PM
Regular User

Intelock is definatley worth it. It looks better, and adds value to your home. I personally like the look of an ashphalt driveway with a 'soldier course' pattern around the ashphalt that leads to an interlock walkway. If you are looking to have this done check out Comres Pavingstone in Ottawa, they have been in busines a long time and do great work.

http://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/Ontari...e/2867982.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalearm View Post
Hi everyone,

Thanks again.