Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2009-06-21, 11:45 PM
Regular User

Default Porch railings

One thing I just noticed about my porch railings. See how my front porch railings are on both sides. Does this look right? I would have thought I'd be able to walk straight into my house instead of having to go up my step, turn left and then right into the house. The way the stone is laid out just in front of the porch also makes it look like the railing starts at about the middle of the porch and then only attaches to the right side.

Thoughts?

Close date: July 16, 2009
Old 2009-06-22, 12:05 AM
Regular User

Nope, looking at the pics from your blog, it's definetely not right.

Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2009-06-22, 08:45 AM
Regular User

Looks like they messed up - should be fixed before you get the house. might want to bring it up with the HMB team.
Old 2009-06-22, 08:47 AM
Regular User

Definitely something to bring up with your builder. Makes you wonder if people actually think before they do something. I'm guessing they don't get paid to think, and it is a good thing your there to at least notice it before they hand you the keys!

[/url]
Old 2009-06-22, 09:34 AM
Regular User

Thanks all. That's what I thought too. Notice how the picture of the Fernwater from Fairwinds also has a post in the center too. I've sent an email to my customer care rep.

Old 2009-06-22, 09:57 AM
Regular User

So I heard back from Mattamy. Apparently the porch railings are correct according to the architect design drawings. My unit is Elev B and sure enough, the drawing in their product brochure shows it this way too. I never noticed that at all. And I prefer it the other way. Of course, Mattamy says they cannot accomodate my request to change it.

Old 2009-06-22, 10:42 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernwater@HMB View Post
So I heard back from Mattamy. Apparently the porch railings are correct according to the architect design drawings. My unit is Elev B and sure enough, the drawing in their product brochure shows it this way too. I never noticed that at all. And I prefer it the other way. Of course, Mattamy says they cannot accomodate my request to change it.
They should at least make sure thet the poured concrete step in in line with the opening between the railings rather than the front door as pictured above.

I wonder if it's easy to detach the railings. Even for simple things like moving stuff in and out (couch, boxsprings, etc....this setup makes it more of a pain in the a$$ rather than a cosmetic issue.

However, if it's any consolation, I think it looks pretty nice. Once it's finished it will look good...and I bet you'll see that your porch will look nicer (and larger) without a third post obstructing its view.

If you're really bummed, you can probably get a contractor to take the reailing from the left, rotate it 180 degrees and attach it to the other railing a(and concrete). You'd probably have to wait until after close to do it. It would also probably cost some $$ because you would have to move the concrete step as well...but probably wouldn't be too much (maybe a "home improvement for the tax credit?)
Old 2009-06-22, 11:31 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernwater@HMB View Post
wow...guess they weren't thinking on that one...Dave is right...moving will be a challenge.

[/url]
Old 2009-06-22, 12:26 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_B View Post
They should at least make sure thet the poured concrete step in in line with the opening between the railings rather than the front door as pictured above.

I wonder if it's easy to detach the railings. Even for simple things like moving stuff in and out (couch, boxsprings, etc....this setup makes it more of a pain in the a$$ rather than a cosmetic issue.

However, if it's any consolation, I think it looks pretty nice. Once it's finished it will look good...and I bet you'll see that your porch will look nicer (and larger) without a third post obstructing its view.

If you're really bummed, you can probably get a contractor to take the reailing from the left, rotate it 180 degrees and attach it to the other railing a(and concrete). You'd probably have to wait until after close to do it. It would also probably cost some $$ because you would have to move the concrete step as well...but probably wouldn't be too much (maybe a "home improvement for the tax credit?)
Your thinking is exactly the same as mine. Pain in the @ss to move stuff in. Also, I was thinking of creating a little sitting area on the right side. But now the walkup is in the middle, don't think it would be so nice. But I agree that I do prefer it without the center post. I just would have preferred a longer railing attached to the rightside. I guess I can inquire after I move in how much it would cost to change it to the way I had originally imagined. But probably will just leave it the way it is.

Old 2009-06-22, 12:32 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_B View Post
I believe you are mistaking large patio stones for a poured concrete step.