Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2010-03-28, 09:25 PM
Regular User

Default Furnace Fun

My wife and I came home to a cold house after a weekend away, and found that our furnace wouldn't fire. After a few routine checks, I just called Harding's 24-hour support line. A service tech called me back within a few minutes and agreed to come out - he didn't sound too happy about it though :\

Good ol' f@cebook though... I posted a brief rant while I waited and within two minutes one of my new neighbours (an HVAC guy!) volunteered to come take a look A minute or two after that Harding showed up and the guy determined that my drainage hose was connected on the wrong side of the furnace. Apparently it needs to tap on the same side as the drain, so in my case the condensation kept accumulating and eventually it prevented combustion. Bleh.

Anyway, my neighbour quizzed him a bit on it and the Harding guy said that the install was just botched and it happens sometimes. Just something to keep in mind if your furnace won't fire and everything else "gas" works in your house, the furnace has electricity, and there's nothing else obviously wrong.
Old 2010-03-28, 09:53 PM
Regular User

What kills me is the c'est la vie attitude of the Harding tech! "install was just botched and it happens sometimes???" Thanks for the heads up Trepex.
Old 2010-03-28, 10:47 PM
Regular User

FYI: Anytime you do have a furnace problem. Do not "reset" the power or turn the thermostat on and off to try and get things running. All new furnaces have diagnostic codes that will flash. Some of them keep a running history while most don't. In other words if you reset the unit the codes are gone and a intermittent problem may not be present when a service tech shows up..

We have had some pressure switch issues on the Amana furnaces(thats the brand harding is installing) . Obviously the condensate hoses need to be installed correctly first

FYI:The harding techs dont work weekends, they are on call. not that its an excuse but that explains the joyful response you got.
Old 2010-03-29, 08:19 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKG26 View Post
FYI: Anytime you do have a furnace problem. Do not "reset" the power or turn the thermostat on and off to try and get things running. All new furnaces have diagnostic codes that will flash. Some of them keep a running history while most don't. In other words if you reset the unit the codes are gone and a intermittent problem may not be present when a service tech shows up..

We have had some pressure switch issues on the Amana furnaces(thats the brand harding is installing) . Obviously the condensate hoses need to be installed correctly first

FYI:The harding techs dont work weekends, they are on call. not that its an excuse but that explains the joyful response you got.
Haha that's funny because without asking me to look at anything, when the tech called, he told me to hit the kill switch and start it up again. It just so happened that I had already noted that the light was flashing "one". It was giving the error that it had tried three times to fire up and failed. The potential causes listed lazy burners, a malfunctioning pressure switch, and one or two other things. That's about as far as I got, then my neighbour showed up and Harding, shortly after that.

I know, you're right, working on-call isn't fun. Still though, when someone's furnace isn't working and the temperature is still pretty nippy out, it's safe to assume you can't just put things off? I didn't like being on call but at least you get compensated pretty well for it...
Old 2010-03-29, 09:00 AM
Regular User

We dont use on call to cover our weekends its scheduled work. I actually work a 3 day week through the weekend.. so a no heat call to me on a Saturday or Sunday is no different then a Monday

From Your list of possible causes you read off of the furnace door, confirms that condensate hose issue.

Never reset the power Especially when the guy is on call. If it had fired up for you he would not have come out only delaying the inevitable repeat call.
Old 2010-03-29, 09:18 AM
Regular User

Quote:
We dont use on call to cover our weekends its scheduled work. I actually work a 3 day week through the weekend.. so a no heat call to me on a Saturday or Sunday is no different then a Monday

From Your list of possible causes you read off of the furnace door, confirms that condensate hose issue.

Never reset the power Especially when the guy is on call. If it had fired up for you he would not have come out only delaying the inevitable repeat call.
Hmm, I don't understand what you mean about confirming that it was the condensate hose?

Thanks for the tips. I'm keeping all of this in mind for the next time something like this happens
Old 2010-03-29, 09:43 AM
Regular User

sorry, just saying that the error code that you found that suggested a pressure switch problem, makes sence. a condensate hose blockage or imcorrect install will cause a pressure switch to trip.

its all good
Old 2010-03-29, 09:48 AM
Regular User

Quote:
sorry, just saying that the error code that you found that suggested a pressure switch problem, makes sence. a condensate hose blockage or imcorrect install will cause a pressure switch to trip.

its all good
Ohhhh gotcha I'll remember that for next time, and actually I'll remember to call our neighbour and offer him beer to take a look, hehe.
Old 2010-03-29, 06:32 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepex View Post
My wife and I came home to a cold house after a weekend away, and found that our furnace wouldn't fire. After a few routine checks, I just called Harding's 24-hour support line. A service tech called me back within a few minutes and agreed to come out - he didn't sound too happy about it though :\

Good ol' f@cebook though... I posted a brief rant while I waited and within two minutes one of my new neighbours (an HVAC guy!) volunteered to come take a look A minute or two after that Harding showed up and the guy determined that my drainage hose was connected on the wrong side of the furnace. Apparently it needs to tap on the same side as the drain, so in my case the condensation kept accumulating and eventually it prevented combustion. Bleh.

Anyway, my neighbour quizzed him a bit on it and the Harding guy said that the install was just botched and it happens sometimes. Just something to keep in mind if your furnace won't fire and everything else "gas" works in your house, the furnace has electricity, and there's nothing else obviously wrong.
Hey- that happened to us earlier in the winter -nice - and we ended up being told to get the ice out of the outside vent located close to the snow line. We had had a storm. It worked, but I will check that connection and see if it is on the right side or not. Cool. Thanks for posting this D.
Old 2010-03-29, 07:34 PM
Regular User

please refure to the installation manual before you touch anything. if you dont understand how it works best to not touch it.... that is how you get charged for a warranty service call

just an FYI.. The worst calls i get is when the home owner tries to DIY there own furnace repairs... its under warranty so you dont have to F with it All DIY does for me is slow me down and cost the customer money or some dirty looks