Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2010-10-11, 02:54 PM
Regular User

Default AC/Furnace/ERV Preventative Maintenance

We moved in last October and so we've had a full heating and cooling season. It's almost time that I'll be firing up the furnace and was looking for some advice in terms of preventative maintenance for the ERV, AC, and furnace.

Harding has been jerking me around quite a bit and so I don't trust them in terms of what I actually need to do and what is a cash grab. I've done some googling and there's a lot of tips for having things inspected to make sure there are no problems, but it's all pretty vague.

What have you guys done?
Old 2010-10-11, 04:51 PM
Regular User

I remove my ERV filters once a quarter and wash them and once per year remove the core and vacuum it. Do NOT wash the ERV core otherwise it will be damaged. The filters get quite dirty and do require quarterly cleaning.
Old 2010-10-11, 04:55 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark & Lynda View Post
I remove my ERV filters once a quarter and wash them and once per year remove the core and vacuum it. Do NOT wash the ERV core otherwise it will be damaged. The filters get quite dirty and do require quarterly cleaning.
Ahh, so that's the tip I was looking for about the ERV core. Thanks! I wash the filters on a similar schedule but was missing the bit about the core. I remember finding the ERV manual to be pretty terrible, but I'll take a look at it. I assume the core is easy enough to remove?

I took a look at the AC compressor and it's actually really clean, so I killed the breaker for it and I'll bungie a tarp over it. That's about the extent of what I know to do for the AC :P
Old 2010-10-11, 08:59 PM
Regular User

Have a licensed Gas fitter in to tune up the furnace.... Dont assume new furnaces are in good working order because they look new...

I serviced a 5 year old builder model amana last week.............. First time anyone looked at it, i found a hole in the heat exchanger.. could have been dangerous situation
Old 2010-10-11, 09:09 PM
Regular User

I'm not sure if the HRV core is the same as the ERV core but there is a label on my HRV core that advises what maintenance to do. In my case, soak the core for three hours in water (which I didn't do cause it didn't look that dirty) and rinse out the two filters. I just rinsed the core and it took almost four days for it to dry.

The AC unit has an emergency shut off latch on the outside. You don't have to do it but I pulled mine out and reinserted it upside down. This basically esnures that the AC compressor doesn't go on if someone accidentally flips the breaker back on.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2010-10-12, 12:32 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
I'm not sure if the HRV core is the same as the ERV core but there is a label on my HRV core that advises what maintenance to do. In my case, soak the core for three hours in water
They are different. AN ERV core is basically a paper core. Soaking it in water will ruin it.
Old 2010-10-13, 02:11 PM
Regular User

I have a HRV and did the reccomended cleaning as per the manual (vacuum core + let soak in water for 3 hours). I didn't realise how much water that thing holds until I left it to dry over night and picked it up only to have a gallon of water dump out on me!

I noticed a thick layer of dust/dirt built up on my HRV fan. We didn't have grass for approx 9 months, therefore the HRV sucked up quite a bit of dirt that's now pasted onto the fan blades. The manual recomends only qualified techs to clean the blades, so I'll have to get someone in to do this.
Old 2010-10-13, 02:26 PM
Regular User

to be honest if you have gotten that far now. You can handle cleaning the blades. Unplug the unit to ensure there is no power to the fan. And clean it...
Old 2010-10-13, 02:46 PM
Regular User

I tried for approx 30 seconds to clean them!

They seem to be pretty tightly sealed up in the fan assembly. I'll take a closer look again and see if I can take it apart... and more importantly put it back together.
Old 2010-10-13, 02:54 PM
Regular User

some of the blowers slide out in a rack after removing a few screws.

Here is what i typically see out there:

From here i would not take anything else apart. But using hot water and soap clean one side at at time. Basically i stand it up with the blower outlet pointing up and fill it with hot soapy water. use a small brush if needed and rince. Take care not get the actual motor wet. Wrap it in a bag if your worried.

AGAIN... power off.