Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2016-03-01, 12:52 PM
Regular User

Thumbs up HN Homes in Riverside South

By popular request, splitting this off from the Bridlewood thread!
Old 2016-03-01, 03:08 PM
Regular User

I suppose I should start things off, since I started this thread!

We've just signed papers to purchase the Lynwood model from HN Homes. Since there were no townhouses built in Bridlewood, is anyone else on this thread buying a townhouse in Riverside South? If yes, what Phase and Model? Have you started going through the design centre appointments?

We're very excited because the townhomes, like the singles, by HN, stood out from the other builders in the area in both design and perceived quality (although I'm hoping there's also a difference in the actual quality). All of our family members commented on the bespoke feeling of the model homes. This is the first home and a first new build for us, although we've had friends and family go through the process and we're both excited and nervous to get started with picking what our future home will look like.
Old 2016-03-03, 08:56 PM
Regular User

Thanks TownHome4Me for creating the Riverside South Site. Hopefully there will be enough people on here to get a discussion going.

Last edited by SteveR; 2016-03-04 at 10:26 PM.
Old 2016-03-03, 09:03 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by caehlan View Post
Your thinking is very similar to mine. The price increase also has us reevaluating our options because the RSS location was going to be a compromise but the house was ideal. Also agree the current release didn't really have any quieter streets to choose from. The density in this area of RSS is crazy for an outer suburb. Lots of townhomes/stacked townhomes and small singles at 31' with very few 50' and no 60' like in Bridlewood. Guess this is the trade off to get various levels of government to commit to the BRT/LRT plans.

The proposed lot plan for phase 13 is here: http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Im...ion%20%232.PDF

You can't tell which lots go to Urbandale vs Richcraft vs HN but at least you can get a general idea of what's coming. North side of street 8 is singles backing on to townhomes.. probably something most people will want to avoid.

For fun, there is a custom home builder offering a variant on the Byron/Kenson and Elmhurst models (using the same architect) inside the greenbelt on McCarthy road. Starting at $900k. Makes RSS look like a bargain in comparison The walk in closet & master ensuite of the meadow model is very nice though.
http://rndconstruction.ca/residentia...verpark-green/
I didn't even think about the fact the transit is there which is probably why the area is so condensed. It's hard moving that far out though to live so congested when my current lot is about 82ft wide in the city.

Does anyone know what phase they are currently selling in? Is it phase 12? I'm hoping there may be a lot or two from phase 13 that works for us but I'm not holding my breath from what I can see. Maybe I'll have to start considering Bridlewood as an option but that is a difficult sell...

Thanks for sharing the plans to that company. Our biggest issue with the Kenson is the master bedrooms walk in closets. They are very small considering... The master bedroom from those plans Caehlan are amazing haha. Has anyone who has bought a Kenson changed the plans at all to increase the size of the walkins? If so I'd love to see the plans you did.

Last edited by SteveR; 2016-03-03 at 09:07 PM.
Old 2016-03-03, 10:47 PM
Regular User

I've been waiting a year for this thread so I'm thrilled to see it's finally here

We are the first to close in RSS, we moved into our Elmhurst at the end of January. We LOVE our house!! The entire process was amazing, we have zero complaints. They have built us an exceptional, quality home - we could not be happier. The service we're receiving after possession has been equally as good, they are prompt to take care of any issue (all minor little things) and to answer any questions we have.

I'd be happy to answer any questions
Old 2016-03-03, 11:01 PM
Regular User

Hi CobaltBlue,

My wife and I are also considering the Elmhurst in Riverside south. We had thought of adding the large front porch to the Kenson but it may be more worth it to just go with the Elmhurst. The only issue is that I can walk inside the Kenson while I can't see a Elmhurst. Is the kitchen area open like the Kenson or does that wall block a lot of the view to the family room? Congrats on the Elmhurst. It looks amazing!!!!

Again I hate to nag on this but I wish they didn't raise the prices so much. Elmhurst is so expensive now.
Old 2016-03-04, 04:18 PM
Regular User

We just signed the agreement, now let the waiting games begin!
Did everyone get a lawyer to go over the agreement?
Old 2016-03-04, 09:11 PM
Regular User

Congrats on your purchase Ducklings! What did you buy? Yes, we had a lawyer review the agreement.

What are the closing dates for the houses/towns right now anyway?

SteveR - yes, the wall blocks off much of the view from the kitchen to the great room. We like that but of separation though. We also debated between the Elmhurst and the Kenson and have a few reasons why we ultimately chose the Elmhurst. I can PM you details and some photos next week. Which lot are you looking at? Would you consider building on Daffodil? It's a great little court
Old 2016-03-04, 09:22 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobaltBlue View Post
I can PM you details and some photos next week. Which lot are you looking at? Would you consider building on Daffodil? It's a great little court

Ahhh pictures would be incredible!! Do I have to do anything to enable PM's? I have some questions I can ask via PM as well. My wife really wants the Elmhurst and that may help us decide.

We haven't decided on a lot. To be honest there aren't that many that we like in RSS. We thought about Dafodil crt but the lots aren't great that are left. Lot 5 has everyone looking into our backyard and the other lot borders kind of a busy road? and also has two homes looking out onto our backyard. I feel like if I'm spending this much money I don't want to sacrifice that.

Last edited by SteveR; 2016-03-04 at 09:26 PM.
Old 2016-03-04, 09:24 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobaltBlue View Post
Congrats on your purchase Ducklings! What did you buy? Yes, we had a lawyer review the agreement.

What are the closing dates for the houses/towns right now anyway?

SteveR - yes, the wall blocks off much of the view from the kitchen to the great room. We like that but of separation though. We also debated between the Elmhurst and the Kenson and have a few reasons why we ultimately chose the Elmhurst. I can PM you details and some photos next week. Which lot are you looking at? Would you consider building on Daffodil? It's a great little court
Thank you CobaltBlue, I believe we're going to be neighbors we picked the corner lot and building an Arlington. Did your lawyer find any issue with the agreement? My lawyer is taking her sweet time getting back to us, and our contract is officially set in stone on Monday