Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2008-03-06, 02:29 PM
Regular User

Default Home inspector

Hi everyone,

Not sure if there is already a thread regarding this, but anyway...

Can anyone refer a Home Inspector? We would like to have one come and inspect the home before we send off our 30 day list.

How much did it cost you?

We are debating on getting one now or waiting until later this year so we've lived in the place a while. Whatever we find later on by the inspector can be put on the 1 year...what would you do?

Thanks!
Old 2008-03-06, 03:45 PM
Regular User

We'll be using Paul Wilson and he is charging us $450
Old 2008-03-06, 03:50 PM
Regular User

Paid 350$ for mine. George something, I've posted his contact info in the past. The reason I used him is that the purchaser of my house used him and boy did he look at everything. Lost of realtors use it all the time as well.
Old 2008-03-06, 04:41 PM
Regular User

Thanks guys.

Would it be a terrible idea to wait until later this year and have one come for the 1 year? I fugure this way the house would have settled etc. so we can put down some potential issues down the road...
Old 2008-03-06, 04:52 PM
Regular User

I spoke with an inspector several months ago & he was very open & up front with me. His thought was to get the biggest bang for our buck we should have him attend the 30-day rather than the PDI. The reason for that being the builder is often still finishing the home at the time of the PDI.....sound familiar?

Our PDI is next week. We've had a bit of a change in plans since there been issues in the news recently with roofing/vents & our builder! I called the inspector & he will join us for a short bit on our PDI, primarily to look at the attic/roof. He will then do a full inspection for the 30-day.

His name is Harry Bradford & he charges $350 for the full inspection.

At the Tarion seminar the guy raised a good point - if everything looks good with the house, do you really want a full written report, or just a verbal (& therefore less costly).
Old 2008-03-06, 09:25 PM
Regular User

I plan to get one for the 30 day. That way if something is wrong it will be found right away rather than a year later.

What if its insulation is not up to par in the attic? Then a year later you've paid how much extra for the heat loss? (or water damage from a leak?)

I like to see things get fixed right away. The inspector might even give you ideas of what to keep your eye on for the 1 yr when it comes.

Theresa Elliot (on Kohilio) I think it is used to work for one called PIN (used to be National Home Inspection) I think that could be the "George" mart242 mentioned...(?)

They are on Teron Rd in Kanata and I think its about $400 for each inspection.
(PIN= Property Inspection Network?)

Phil Bottriel is the owner and I've seen articles in the newspaper where they usually interview him for advice.

Here's the link

http://www.propertyinspection.ca/buy..._services.html

Moved in finally September 25th '08!!

Last edited by bmcnally; 2008-03-06 at 09:28 PM.
Old 2008-03-07, 12:12 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcnally View Post
Theresa Elliot (on Kohilio) I think it is used to work for one called PIN (used to be National Home Inspection) I think that could be the "George" mart242 mentioned...(?)
http://www.propertyinspection.ca/about_us/bios.html
George Masserey.. that's who I had. I referred him to someone who was super satisfied as well.
Old 2008-03-07, 10:08 AM
Regular User

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

I've tentatively booked a Tuesday appointment with David Glennie with that firm. They quoted me $400 + GST. Even if they find 'nothing' then at least it gives me piece of mind...considering my house was built in such a rush, I think it's necessary to have someone inspect their work.
Old 2008-03-07, 10:43 AM
Regular User

Yay! I actually have a friend who specializes in home inspection too and he offered to do it for me for way cheaper than the quote I got! Right on! I'm glad I remembered what he did for a living...
Old 2008-03-07, 11:14 AM
Regular User

Good luck with it! I'd love to hear how it goes. (I guess we probably will!) LOL

Moved in finally September 25th '08!!