Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2008-10-25, 09:59 AM
Regular User

Default Barrhaven townhall meeting (traffic, community development etc)

Folks, I attended a Barrhaven townhall meeting this past Wednesday at the Berrigan Elementary School and I thought I'd post a few noteworthy items here for some discussions.

First and foremost, I have to say Jan Harder is quite a go-getter, i am pleased to have her representing our ward (I emailed her last year to ask about living in Barrhaven and she responded right away). She was the chair of the meeting and there were representatives from the City of Ottawa (traffic divisions, road maintenance), school board trustees, police officers, OC Transpo etc so it was quite a crowd.

Most of the discussions were about traffic around the school zones but there were a couple of interesting points. From what I can remember...

- They want to see more roundabouts in Barrhaven and possibly speed humps. I think roundabouts are a fantastic idea, numerous advantages to mention.

- Parents want to see more officers patrolling in the area to enforce traffic laws. Also more posted speed signs and school signs will help as well as more *crossing guards* for the kids to cross the street.

- There will be more developments along Longfields and Woodroffe (by the Kelly Funeral home and across from the Farm Boy). There will be singles, semi, towns, buildings for seniors etc, mixed-use, basically the population and traffic in Barrhaven is expected to increase significantly in the near future...

- Our zone will have new equipment for snow removal this year and the crew is getting ready for another run, good to know they are well-prepared. I mean we did pay a good chunk of change to the City for tax, the least you can expect is to have good services in return.

All in all, it was quite an informative meeting.
Old 2008-10-25, 10:38 AM
Regular User

Excellent Biz - thanks for posting!

Was there any talk of public transit?
Old 2008-10-25, 11:14 AM
Regular User

While traffic control near school zones is always important, did they talk about plans to alleviate traffic congestion into and out of Barrhaven during rush hour at all?
Old 2008-10-25, 11:22 AM
Regular User

Biggie and tle, I didn't stick around until the end because things were getting a bit out of hand (i.e. parents kept asking what the City would do for their neck of the woods instead of focusing on the ward as a whole) but I do recommend you guys bookmarking and checking out Jan's site every now and then

http://janharder.com//index.php?opti...=715&Itemid=43

There is a wealth of information there. I saw a young lady taking many pictures throughout the meeting so I assume the minutes and other details will be posted on either her site or the City of Ottawa site soon.

tle, we usually don't have any problems getting home during rush hour through Cedarview or even Greenbank straight down to Strandherd. And there are other avenues for people who want to come to Barrhaven (Merivale, Prince of Wales, Woodroffe, Fallowfield, the 416)...but I know what you mean, with the increased in population and traffic, I hope to see a good solution in place.