Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Stouffville > Stouffville - Mattamy On Main and WheleríS Mill

Stouffville - Mattamy On Main and WheleríS Mill For residents and soon-to-be residents of Mattamys On Main and Wheler's Mill.

Old 2008-02-22, 08:56 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsk8s View Post
Hmm...see I'm personally not a fan of the tv over the fireplace (too high) and my fiance says it's not a good set-up for surround sound (which is a must for him) so the way they have the furniture laid out in the model home doesn't work for us.
Such a tough decision! I agree with you about the entertaining aspect of the breakfast bar overlooking the great room. Though, the big island in the centre is good for that as well.
Decisions, decisions....

If anyone does have that layout, I would love to see it!
Another great tip, is with respect to the TV over the fireplace it does work if you get a tilting mount. I have ours mounted with a 15 degree tilt and it works well and doesn't cause a problem with respect to viewing angle. Also, I agree with your husband surround sound in the great room is so impractical for so many reasons, I have no idea why people do it.

Surround sound is really only for home theatres in the basement where there is some sound insulation, otherwise if you have kids who go to sleep on time, you will never be able to enjoy it as the sound will carry throughout the house via the open concept.
Old 2008-02-22, 09:39 AM
Regular User

Oh my goodness Dexter...tell me more! I never would have thought that about the banquette and the island being oversized! I am so doing the granite afterwards now!!!

With regards to the tv, we thought we would get the tilting arm, so that we could bring it away from the wall, but it sounds like yours works fine. Do you have your couch on that one wall?

Which 2nd floor plan do you have? We are doing the 4 bed, 3 bath and I am concerned about 1) how the master doors have you walk into a closet and 2) the bathroom doors on the spare bath's. It looks like they all smash together??

Any other advice...this is great!!!
Old 2008-02-22, 09:50 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby View Post
Oh my goodness Dexter...tell me more! I never would have thought that about the banquette and the island being oversized! I am so doing the granite afterwards now!!!

With regards to the tv, we thought we would get the tilting arm, so that we could bring it away from the wall, but it sounds like yours works fine. Do you have your couch on that one wall?

Which 2nd floor plan do you have? We are doing the 4 bed, 3 bath and I am concerned about 1) how the master doors have you walk into a closet and 2) the bathroom doors on the spare bath's. It looks like they all smash together??

Any other advice...this is great!!!
Doing the granite after was painless, we used Eva Granite and they did a good job for a very reasonable price. We bought the sink and faucet from a guy on ebay that is located in Scarborough (torefem sp?). Massive savings on the sink and faucet.

With respect to the tv mount, we used promount (again on ebay) located in Richmond Hill and bought their flat tilting mount. It sticks out from the wall about 4" but the tilting feature is worth it. Also remember that the lower you mount the TV the better it is, especially if you have a smaller (i.e. 42 inch or smaller). Don't get an arm as I don't see a need for pulling the TV from the wall and it will unnecessarliy complicate your mount and make it stick out further. If you have a conduit you will also want to make sure that you shave it flush with the wall (I still have to do this), to make sure that it doesn't interfere with the mounts.

Yes, we have our couch against the wall and a chair in the other corner by the window and counter. ALso, please note that the cold air return in the great room is loud, as the furnance is directly below it. Just thought I would point that out as well.

Upstairs, we went with the standard layout. We saw no need for an additional bathroom and had the same concerns about the Master Bedroom entry. We have a main bath and the ensuite. Also, we did not add a door for the main bath as it would present the problem of too many doors.

We like our layout and have very few complaints so far.
Old 2008-02-22, 10:06 AM
Regular User

We have put a conduit from the tv to the basement and we are debating on putting one from the audio locaation to the basement. DH doesn't think we need to spend the money, for he can just drill through the floor (he did that in our old house). I am glad the tilting is just okay, for it is a lot less money and I was worried about how much more it would stick out from the wall. I am an avid ebayer and have already been looking at that stuff, so I will try to find your person....so much better if they are local!

Where do you have your audio stuff located? to the right of the fireplace or the left? (across from couch or beside it)

I know you mentioned about the surround sound, did you not do it in the end? That is another thing that we are trying to find locations for.

Do you mind if I ask how much your granite was? How much sq.ft. it was?

AHHHH....I just wish they did the model home like a regular house!!!

Thanks Dexter for all your help!
Old 2008-02-22, 10:09 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
We have the Farnham B with the (model home kitchen) whatever it is called kitchen and found that the oversized (on two sides) island got in the way of the chairs at the table at the banquette. Also, having people at the island and at the table and at the stools at the kitchen counter just didn't work. Looks good on paper, but its not practical. What we did is when we got the granite done after closing we had the island countertop made the size of the island with a 2" overhand all round. It vastly improved the traffic flow in the kitchen.
I don't really understand what you mean in the part where I bolded. You made the countertop of the island smaller? Do you also have stools at the island as well as the breakfast bar?
Would you recommend the alternate kitchen? (The one that comes with the alternate first floor). It seems to look good on paper, and is much cheaper!
Thanks for your input, Dexter!
Old 2008-02-22, 10:13 AM
Regular User

I have been in four Farnhams and they all have the alternate kitchen layout (not the one in the model home) with slight variations. Everyone seems to like it. There is a Farnham on the MLS that I think has the kitchen layout that you are referring to (check out the photos):

MLS # N1260507

Hope this helps

Laurie

Sean & Laurie
Bassett Elev \'B\'
Wheler's Mill
MOVED IN!
Old 2008-02-22, 10:28 AM
Regular User

Quote:
I am glad the tilting is just okay, for it is a lot less money and I was worried about how much more it would stick out from the wall.
Please note that it does stick out from the wall quite a bit. If you want low profile it will be closer, but it will be tougher to view the monitor. IMHO, the tilting is worth the extra space away from the wall

Quote:
I am an avid ebayer and have already been looking at that stuff, so I will try to find your person....so much better if they are local!
http://stores.ebay.ca/PRO-MOUNTS_W0Q...Q3amesstQQtZkm

http://stores.ebay.ca/TORENFONDER-FA...Q3amesstQQtZkm

The above are the two ebayers I dealt with. The faucet is not currently listed as he gave me an early sample, but you can ask James when the larger faucets are coming in from China.

Quote:

Where do you have your audio stuff located? to the right of the fireplace or the left? (across from couch or beside it)
I didn't do the audio stuff and am relying on the TV speakers. I may change my mind in the future, but it is fine for now.

Quote:

Do you mind if I ask how much your granite was? How much sq.ft. it was?
Granite was $50 a square foot. The sink guy (cited above) has a connection to get you granite for $45 a square foot but there is very limited selection (i.e. mostly dark colours). Eva did a good job for the money.

Last edited by Dexter; 2008-02-22 at 10:30 AM.
Old 2008-02-22, 10:35 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsk8s View Post
I don't really understand what you mean in the part where I bolded. You made the countertop of the island smaller? Do you also have stools at the island as well as the breakfast bar?
Would you recommend the alternate kitchen? (The one that comes with the alternate first floor). It seems to look good on paper, and is much cheaper!
Thanks for your input, Dexter!
What I mean is that the Granite is only 2" larger than the island on all sides, rather than hanging over by 18" on two sides as done by Mattamy.

The large overhang doesn't work if you have a table at the banquet with chairs around it. It is simply non-functional. I am sure that others will disagree, but I would rather have a big kitchen table at the banquet rather than stools all over the place.
Old 2008-02-22, 10:46 AM
Regular User

Thanks Dexter for the ebay site! I am actually going to buy a faucet from there in a few minutes. James has some great stuff! With regards to audio stuff...I mean things like cable box etc. Also do you remember how much sq.ft. you had? I think I counted 71 or something, but it is hard to tell on paper.

Laurie - I think (I didn't have a chance to look but looked yesterday) the house you are refering to has the standard kitchen, the one that doesn't give you any cabinets or counter space? I too have heard of some people in your area really customizing the alternate kitchen (one not in model home) and they have had some great ideas! Unfortunately we can't make any structural changes anymore...otherwise I would have gone with that kitchen too. Your area is so nice btw!

Sarah - I don't think you can lose with either kitchen. I personally wanted all the extra pantry space etc. for storage etc. and we entertain a lot, so we have a lot of extra stuff for that too. But you are right, it is A LOT of extra money. Like I mentioned before...we tried to backtrack to go to that kitchen but were not able, so I think either one is good. Note too however, that if you do choose to do that kitchen and pay the $3000?? if you decide to upgrade to the other kitchen later (model home kitchen) you have to pay another $9300?? (whatever it costs in your area) I had a huge fight with Mattamy over this, for they are charging you twice for 1 kitchen! I got nowhere with it and they told me it is what it is...so just make sure you are confident in your decision when you make it.
Old 2008-02-22, 10:54 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Thanks Dexter for the ebay site! I am actually going to buy a faucet from there in a few minutes. James has some great stuff! .
Shelby, before you buy drop James an e-mail to set up an appointment for you to go to showroom. Like I said, he didn't have my faucet online and the one he does have online is too short IMHO.