Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Stouffville > Stouffville - Mattamy On Main and Wheler’S Mill

Stouffville - Mattamy On Main and Wheler’S Mill For residents and soon-to-be residents of Mattamys On Main and Wheler's Mill.

Old 2007-12-02, 11:55 PM
Regular User

Default garage door condensation

Hey now!

Does anyone have any info on why there is so much condensation on my garage door windows?
I understand the science side of condensation....what I want to know is if the condensation will be an just an annoyance or more of a problem - ie rust.

Should I start to think about insulating the doors?

Thanks in advance.
Old 2007-12-03, 08:48 AM
Regular User

We have a lot of condensation on our windows too. We park both of our cars in the garage so that is the main source of water. If you're doing the same thing putting insulation on the door will do nothing but make the problem worse.

Warmer air has a greater capacity for water. You don't necessarily want your garage to be air tight. If you are parking your cars in the garage you want a place for the mositure to escape and you don't want the escape route to be into your house.
MOVED IN!
Old 2007-12-11, 10:48 AM
Regular User

My garage door has the condensation as well. I don't have the insulated garage door and don't know if that would help for sure.

However, I did have an insulated garage door installed in my previous house and never experience the condensation or dripping when I opened the door, so I am only assuming the upgraded door might eliminate the problem.
Affordable Web Design by In Front Media in York Region
Old 2007-12-12, 08:28 PM
Regular User

we are having the same problem with the condensation. It was quite alarming at first. It seems to happen even if we don't park a car in there.
Old 2007-12-15, 07:39 AM
Regular User

I ordered insulated doors from the builder (mattamy) I have wood with glass doors where i am now and 6 years later I had to replace the bottom panel closets to the ground due to the wood rotting away. So the doors I'm getting aren't wood.

If you have two single doors on your garage you're looking at a cost of $250 per pannel to replace times that by two if you have a single large door.

Just a FYI... But I'm staying away from wood (wood rots)

Quote:
Originally Posted by level 204 View Post
Hey now!

Does anyone have any info on why there is so much condensation on my garage door windows?
I understand the science side of condensation....what I want to know is if the condensation will be an just an annoyance or more of a problem - ie rust.

Should I start to think about insulating the doors?

Thanks in advance.

Old 2007-12-15, 09:03 AM
Regular User

Has anyone called Mattamy?
Affordable Web Design by In Front Media in York Region
Old 2007-12-15, 11:42 AM
Regular User

we have the insulated doors and not only do we have condensation on the doors, but the first 4 ft of ceiling at the front of the garage... LOTS of condensation.

i am wondering if blowing some insulation into the garage ceiling would stop this? it would then be more like the ceiling on the 2nd floor. Mattamy spray foamed the floor of the room above the garage. so the top side of the garage ceiling drywall is exposed to the cold air that comes in from the little bit of roof overhanging the front of the garage. the insulated doors help keep the warm air from parking 2 cars in there in the garage and voila... wet ceiling.

(didn't help that we had at least 2 different leaks in the garage ceiling this year)

Sean & Laurie
Bassett Elev \'B\'
Wheler's Mill
MOVED IN!
Old 2007-12-16, 09:53 AM
Regular User

I suppose the only real way to get the condensation out would be to exhaust it out. If you put an intake at the bottom of your garage above the foundation line and an exhaust at the top then I think this would solve the problem.

I can't believe some peoples garage ceilings are showing the condensation.
Old 2008-01-13, 09:41 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenD View Post
Has anyone called Mattamy?
i'm calling them tomorrow. have a slight growth of mould on the wood slats that run up and down the garage doors.
Old 2008-01-13, 10:24 PM
Regular User

If you wouldn't mind posting back what there response is. By the sounds of it, there are many of us that are in the same boat (or will be)

Thx