Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Stouffville > Stouffville - Mattamy On Main and Wheler’S Mill

Stouffville - Mattamy On Main and Wheler’S Mill For residents and soon-to-be residents of Mattamys On Main and Wheler's Mill.

Old 2008-02-21, 12:54 PM
Regular User

Default Farnham with Alternate Downstairs Layout

After reading the post where someone asked to see someone's Sunnylea model I was inspired to ask a similar question of my own. Does anyone have the alternate layout of the Farnham downstairs? I'm interested in seeing the alternate kitchen. Pictures would be ok too, if a tour wouldn't work.
I know it's a lot to ask, but it's worth a shot!
Thanks in advance!
Old 2008-02-21, 01:18 PM
Regular User

Hi Sarah,

Which alternate were you looking at? We too have bought the farnham and have gotten the alternate kitchen that is in the model home in Stouffville. You can see it on the Mattamy website, under model homes.

If it is this one you are looking at, I can also try and post some pictures.

Shelby
Old 2008-02-21, 01:21 PM
Regular User

We were originally considering the Chef's Kitchen (like the model home) and we still are, but we are also looking at the alternate kitchen that is offered with the alternate main floor (with the den instead of the living room). That's the kitchen I would like to see because it's the only one that I haven't seen in person.
Thanks for your response
Old 2008-02-21, 01:30 PM
Regular User

I believe you are talking about the kitchen that is in the middle? I liked that kitchen too!

Are you in Stouffville? I know when we bought in Aurora, we had to decide whether or not we wanted that kitchen at time of purchase. So about a month ago when we started crunching numbers and nearly fainted at our upgrade costs, we tried to backtrack (we always planned on the model home kitchen) to go to the other kitchen and they wouldn't let us because we had to have made that decision at time of purchase and they had already applied for building permits due to the fact that the windows etc. are different in the back. So now we were stuck, we either had to get the standard kitchen or go to the heavy duty kitchen...so we are doing the heavy duty kitchen.

Ugh...did that make sense?
Old 2008-02-21, 01:34 PM
Regular User

Yep, that's the kitchen I mean. And we haven't signed our purchase agreement yet, so I believe we can still make a change. I like the pantries that the chef's kitchen has, but I like the layout of the "middle" kitchen. Also, the chef's kitchen has the breakfast bar that borders the great room, which makes it harder to arrange furniture. How are you going to position your furniture in the great room with the chef's kitchen?

Thanks!
Old 2008-02-21, 01:43 PM
Regular User

Funny...we had the same though patterns as you, but we actually like the layout of the chefs kitchen (aurora doesn't call it that, just alternate B) because we thought it was better for entertaining. I can be cooking and have people sitting on the banquette, the island, the breakfast bar and the great room, but yet I am in the middle of everyone. My in-laws have a layout similar to the "middle kitchen" and my father in law is always walking into his family room to be part of the conversation. Having said that...it is easier to place furniture and it is nice to have a large table there.

For furniture placement, I think we are doing it exactly like the model home, couch on one wall, 2 club chairs on either side of the window and tv over the fireplace. I need to see it though, for they upgraded the model home so much, its hard to picture what reality is like.
Old 2008-02-21, 02:26 PM
Regular User

Hmm...see I'm personally not a fan of the tv over the fireplace (too high) and my fiance says it's not a good set-up for surround sound (which is a must for him) so the way they have the furniture laid out in the model home doesn't work for us.
Such a tough decision! I agree with you about the entertaining aspect of the breakfast bar overlooking the great room. Though, the big island in the centre is good for that as well.
Decisions, decisions....

If anyone does have that layout, I would love to see it!
Old 2008-02-21, 03:20 PM
Regular User

I agree with you about the tv over the fireplace, but I don't really know where to put it? Don't you still have that issue regardless of which kitchen you do?...Oh I guess you could have a floater couch if you did the other kitchen.

I have been debating on trying to make our couch wall a tv wall, but then the couch would have to go in front of the window. I have actually been trying to figure this out all week....decisions decisions is right...especially when we have to finalize our options in 2 weeks!
Old 2008-02-21, 08:11 PM
Regular User

If we went with the chef's kitchen, we would have the couch against the window with the tv on the opposite wall. We would also probably have a love seat or a chair or two in lieu of the bar stools at the breakfast bar.
With the other kitchen layout, it's a lot easier to have that love seat bordering the kitchen because there isn't the restriction because the breakfast bar isn't there.
Decisions, decisions is right!
Old 2008-02-22, 08:52 AM
Regular User

We have the Farnham B with the (model home kitchen) whatever it is called kitchen and found that the oversized (on two sides) island got in the way of the chairs at the table at the banquette. Also, having people at the island and at the table and at the stools at the kitchen counter just didn't work. Looks good on paper, but its not practical. What we did is when we got the granite done after closing we had the island countertop made the size of the island with a 2" overhand all round. It vastly improved the traffic flow in the kitchen.