Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2009-09-18, 03:16 PM

Question tarton homes prices/upgrades

I am thinking about to buy a tarton home in stittsville. I would like to hear your opinion on the following topics:

1. Price -- Do you have to pay them the asking price or you can negotiate.
-- on top of house price, they are also asking 25000 lot premium.

2. Upgrades -- how are their pricing on upgrades. Are they reasonable? I am thinking to get 1 foot extra basement ceiling height, 1 foot extra 2nd floor ceiling height, upgraded hardwood, upgraded carpets, 8 feet high all doors with thick moldings... similar to what they have in their royal edward model home in stittsville.

3. Any good/bad experience you had dealing with them..

Thanks.
Old 2009-09-18, 03:40 PM
Regular User

1) All of these home building companies have the upper hand when it comes to selling their homes. Someone will buy eventually, and the prices go up alarmingly quickly (the demand is there for them to raise them). So I don't think you will be able to negotiate a price. I've bought new twice and never bothered; it was made clear from the start that they don't do that sort of thing. However, if you have a lot of gumption.. might as well try I suppose. I'm the type that doesn't even negotiate on new cars so perhaps I missed out.

2) I haven't bought from Tartan so I don't know anything about their pricing, however, you should ask their sales person in Stittsville if the higher ceilings are possible. The basement should be fine, but they may have restrictions on the 2nd floor. I assume 9" ceilings are standard on the ground floor.

Last edited by Enarra; 2009-09-18 at 05:12 PM.
Old 2009-09-18, 04:45 PM
Regular User

You can negotiate design centre credit, but not discounted home price.

You can't get extra ft on the upper floor due to the design of the new elevations. You could with the 2008 models, but not with the 2009s.

The royal edward model in jackson trails has about $250,000 in upgrades. So you have to be realistic.

Tartan homes come with red oak hardwood on the ground floor, ceramic in entry/powder room/kitchen/bathrooms.

Our experience so far has been wonderful, although they could be a little faster with responding to quotes for upgrades, it takes days if not weeks!
Old 2009-09-18, 04:46 PM
Regular User

Hi cd2009:

I cannot comment on negotiating the price but I can tell you of my past experience.

I owned a Semi in Findlay Creek and loved it. We had no problems in dealing with Tartan, in fact I am planning on purchasing a condo from them within the next year.
I found the staff very helpful every step of the way. We did not do too many upgrades however the few that we did I found the prices to be reasonable.
I would not hesitate to recommend them.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 2009-09-18, 04:59 PM
Regular User

cd2009, here's a list of our upgrades (some are quotes, some are ballpark, some are what we paid, but they should give you a very good idea on how much things cost)

http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...ead.php?t=9665