Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2011-02-15, 12:48 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_ottawa View Post
Pot lights are used as ambiance lighting as well, to add to other fixtures or what not.

As well, I think a lot of the appeal to potlighting is due to personal preference.

Pot lights for small areas are great too (ie. above a stand-up shower, for displaying pieces of art or something on the wall, etc.)
We were told by the builder, they can not put pot light above the stand-up shower, something about the building code, not that I was going to.
Probably, because most of our house will have vaulted ceiling I did not give too much thought to it. Thinking now, I would place this free pot light somewhere in the foyer area.
Old 2011-02-15, 12:51 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natasha View Post
We were told by the builder, they can not put pot light above the stand-up shower, something about the building code, not that I was going to.
Probably, because most of our house will have vaulted ceiling I did not give too much thought to it. Thinking now, I would place this free pot light somewhere in the foyer area.
Not a standard potlight no, but there are potlights specifically for stand-up showers.

Odd that that is what your builder told you...

And they should be able to easily do potlights in vaulted spaces. There are sloped ceiling pot lights for that reason.

Old 2011-02-15, 12:56 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Not a standard potlight no, but there are potlights specifically for stand-up showers.

Odd that that is what your builder told you...

And they should be able to easily do potlights in vaulted spaces. There are sloped ceiling pot lights for that reason.
Yep, this is what they told us. They wanted to delete it without giving us anything back. I insisted they will credit us for something they can not deliver or give us something instead. They gave us free pot light in any area with flat ceiling.
To be fair, their customer service is very good, I am very pleased with the builder.

Last edited by Natasha; 2011-02-15 at 01:03 PM.
Old 2011-02-15, 01:08 PM
Regular User

There are different bulbs available also. I am currently using a mix of 'spot' and 'flood' in my basement depending on which application and the look am am going for. LED's are also available should you wish.
Yes they do hide a poor drywall job as the light doesn't reflect onto the ceiling like a conventional light also known as a builders special (dome light with a ugly cover).
Mixing in digital dimmers which are a nice touch...combined with a tablet remote will give you control of all the lights from your chair. Digital dimmers are not all that expensive ($40 each or so) but will actually cut the wattage being supplied to the bulb...thus making your house a little more green

Back to my question...has anyone taken the builders option to have the wires run and boxes covered with a decorative plate? Assuming they aren't using a octagonal box I would remove the cover, remove the screws and wire. i would leave the disconnected box in the ceiling after as removing it completely would mean a heck of a mess.

b
Old 2011-02-15, 01:09 PM
Regular User

Quote:
There is a great difference between what builders should be able to do and are willing to do.
I am surprised about what "cannot be done" all the time - even if someone is more than willing to pay to have it done.

Last edited by bcpl; 2011-02-15 at 01:11 PM.
Old 2011-02-15, 01:17 PM
Regular User

Hey bcpl,
If its a simple request, or the builder can make a ton of $$ then its a YES, if the change requires a thinking then they are more than likely to say 'it can't be done' as there is a good opportunity to screw it up.
Also, today's construction is much like a assembly line and modifications slow production
b
Old 2011-02-15, 01:32 PM
Regular User

We are not in the construction or even near it. So, whatever our builder tells us we tend to believe most of the time.
Old 2011-02-15, 01:55 PM
Regular User

You don't even have to know anything about construction.

All you need is to want the extra rear windows that the model home has, the pretty valences under the cabinets in the design centre or HW radiant heating because you read about it in a magazine.

Then your surprise at what is doable mounts...
Old 2011-02-15, 02:09 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcpl View Post
You don't even have to know anything about construction.

All you need is to want the extra rear windows that the model home has, the pretty valences under the cabinets in the design centre or HW radiant heating because you read about it in a magazine.

Then your surprise at what is doable mounts...
As does the cost
Old 2011-02-15, 04:01 PM
Regular User

The shower pot lights are handy if you kept the standard frosted shower doors as they do block a certain amount of light from coming into the shower. It helps to determine in figuring out if you're scrubbing grime or your own shadow.
Moved In: April 10th 2010