Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2011-08-09, 10:58 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToBuy View Post
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I really appreciate it.

If you don't mind me asking, it this a first or second home for you guys?
Did you initially buy a town or semi before a single?
Do you believe a Bristol/Beckwith is a small house to start a family with? or that you will be upgrading to a bigger home down the road?

I know everyone is different, but I am just looking for others perspectives

BTW I do have to sincerely apologize for completely hijacking this thread - feel bad so really am sorry to everyone!!!
Second home for us.
We (well, I) lived in a row townhome before this.

I think the Bristol/Beckwith is plenty big enough to raise a family in. There are a bunch of Bristol/Beckwith's on our street, and most homes at least have parents and two kids (if not grandparents, and/or other children as well).

For us, we're just two people so we find the house a little too big right now that at times we kind of consider downsizing.

Old 2011-08-09, 11:11 PM
Regular User

House is plenty big for a growing family. We are only 3 here right now, and it is our second home (first was a end unit town).
We added extra windows in the basement (which is also a walkout), so we can finish it with an extra bedroom.
This was supposed to be our forever home - but I really want a bungalow.
Old 2011-08-09, 11:17 PM
Regular User

Hi,
I was in the same boat as you a couple years ago. We went back and forth on the Bristol and Beckwith--drove myself crazy! All of the main differences have already been spoken about in previous posts so I won't repeat them all. For us, we absolutely wanted to have a mudroom and I loved the Beckwith mudroom! I prefered the overall kitchen/family room layout in the Bristol though, but also found it a little too open-concept (i.e. you can see almost the entire first floor from the front door). In the end we went with a different model altogether--the Hartland (Tamarack). We chose it over the Beckwith because we wanted an island in the kitchen and we wanted the kitchen to overlook the family room. I am happy with my choice.

If Tartan could have removed the kitchen wall in the Beckwith, we may have gone that route but they said it was needed for support.

I totally agree on the Tartan exteriors being more attractive.

Also, I believe either model would be fine for a family. Eventually, you might want to finish the basement when the kids are older, although it would not be necessary.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 2011-08-09, 11:35 PM
Regular User

Awww the Hartland is AMAZING! I just looked at it. The ground floor reminds me of the original home I fell in love with - great choice!
Old 2011-08-10, 08:51 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToBuy View Post
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I really appreciate it.

If you don't mind me asking, it this a first or second home for you guys?
Did you initially buy a town or semi before a single?
Do you believe a Bristol/Beckwith is a small house to start a family with? or that you will be upgrading to a bigger home down the road?

I know everyone is different, but I am just looking for others perspectives

BTW I do have to sincerely apologize for completely hijacking this thread - feel bad so really am sorry to everyone!!!
Second tamarack home for us. I strongly suggest you take a drive to Jackson Trails phase 4 and check out our Bristol while you can, yes we still have 2 months to go before closing but you can see the changes we have made. The best time is in the evening to check out the homes that are being built. There is a beckwith right next door to us as well.

We are upgrading from a town in phase 2 to a single in phase 4. It is big enough house for us, we do not want a larger house that has formal living rooms and formal dining rooms, that is not us. We love the open concept and we love love love our ensuite

We deleted the shower insert in the ensuite and we have tiled walls and a custom glass door. Looks amazing.

We also added

We did some structural changes and we also selected the ioptional kithen layout as well as the family room fireplace, changed the location.

In our walk out basement we also did some changes as well. Added french doors and larger windows.

We also upgraded our cabinets in the kitchen to Cherry solid wood doors Landmark, and we will be doing the granite after possession plus we changed the island to a flat island and not a raised one. We also increased the cuboard doors depth over the fridge. We also added pots and pans drawers next to the stove and on the island as well as a corner glass door. We also deleted the back splash and we will be doing this ourselves after possession. We did remove the tiles from the kitchen fllor and we will have hardwood 3 1/4 throughout.

Because we are isntalling granite after possession we deleted the risers in the kitchen and ensuite.

In the ensuite the knee wall was removed accidentally by the builder, but we are okay with that.

The fridge wall was shortened as there were problems in the model home as it being to long and the french doors on the fridge would hit the wall.

We also added upgraded the doors and handles and added insulation to rocksul to certain rrooms. Added dedicated plugs ect cat 5 ect ect (Danny knows more about this) to family room, laundry room and basement.

We made sure we had a drain in the laundry room.

Because it is open concept we changed the railings to something similar at the design centre, 5x5 box panel posts (x2) at the bottom of the stairs on the main floor with remaing posts to be 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 square posts with 3 pc caps and Lampton handrailinghs in solid oak with upgrades solid steel spindles T010 plain and decorative cast spindles T012 - decorative spindle to be every third spindles

Our ensuite shower is simalar to the one in the design centre, the only differnce is the tiiles were changed as they are no longer available.

all I can say is you have to be happy with the Builder First and Foremost! Talk to both and see who comes back with all your questions answered in a timely matter.

This is why we chose to go back with Tamarack.