Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Hamilton-Wentworth > Waterdown

Waterdown Mountainview Heights, Starlane Homes and more!

Old 2012-08-22, 07:31 AM
Regular User

Default Country Green Homes - Certificate of Electrical Inspection

This thread will be about how to obtain a Certificate of Electrical Inspection from the Electrical Safety Authority.

I'm posting it separate from my "Country Green Homes - ParkPlace Ph.2 Things to Know" thread because this applies to anyone in Ontario and not just people in Country Green Homes Development.

ESA has what's called an Accredited Contractor Program. When an eletrical contractor meets certain criteria (and is in good standing with ESA) it allows them to inspect their own electrical work as opposed to having an inspector look at every single home in a new development. BUT even though your home may not have been inspected by an ESA inspector it will still be issued a Certificate of Electrical Inspection by them.

Under the Freedom of Information Act you can fill out this document (Request for Information) on ESA's website and mail or electronically submit it to them. A FEE MAY BE APPLIED but typically isn't for home owners.

A few weeks later you will receive a Certificate of Electrical Inspection stating that your home has passed inspection and is ESA approved.

This can be handy to have for re-sale of a home.
Old 2012-08-22, 09:37 AM
Administrator

There would also be an ESA sticker on the electrical panel.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2012-08-22, 07:06 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
There would also be an ESA sticker on the electrical panel.
Actually, having an ESA sticker on your panel or any other electrical equipment does not always mean it has passed an electrical inspection. It can simply mean that an electrical inspector has visited. Usually the sticker will have a 3-digit number on it that indicates the region/inspector and does not reference any kind of permit relating to the electrical work.

Also, because of the Approved Contractor Program where the contractor self inspects work, they do not have stickers to put on the electrical equipment.

Myself, for example, have a certificate for electrical inspection that my house has passed but do not have any stickers on my equipment.