Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2013-09-18, 10:19 AM
Regular User

All good considerations! Thanks, foxborough.
Old 2013-09-18, 10:43 PM
Regular User

I bought a Thornbury in Monahan Landing (South Kanata) and have a design book, but the dimensions of the islands/counters etc. are not in there.

I did a lot of price comparison shopping too, and some items Mattamy was cheaper, or at least on par. Others they were def over priced. When looking at after-move-in upgrades, you need to take in to account the cost/time/energy to remove what's there, and possibly have someone install the new items for you, adding to the overall expense (not to mention the inconvenience of renos on a new house).

Note that when you choose a solid surface counter, it comes with an stainless undermount sink from Mattamy. So you should be able to reuse the sink, just need to cut the stone to fit the sink I would think. Unless you want a different sink.

I don't move in till end of January and I can hardly wait!
Old 2013-09-19, 06:00 AM
Regular User

@foxborough: Thanks for the details.
@SandyS: How much is the price of the Thornbury with hardwood and tiles included? Could you give us a few examples of upgrades overpriced? Thanks a lot for the infos.
Old 2013-09-20, 06:47 PM
Regular User

I didn't have to price hardwood and tiles too a great extent as I purchased my house during a construction special and received free granite in the kitchen, free hardwood on the main living level and free tile in the bathroom and hall areas. The cost to have Mattamy install hardwood on the upper bedroom level was $6,000 - ouch! To have them upgrade the 12 doors to five panel from the standard builder issued was around $200 total - way less than replacing them yourself. The automatic garage door was around $600. I'll watch for a sale at Sears and have them install for far less. If there is anything specific you're looking for, just PM me.
Old 2013-09-20, 07:17 PM
Regular User

Thanks a lot SandyS. You are so lucky to get your home when it was on sale. Good luck in everything.
Old 2013-09-21, 09:49 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimbaBegin View Post
Thanks a lot SandyS. You are so lucky to get your home when it was on sale. Good luck in everything.
The homes are still *on sale*. If you check out Mattamy home page for Special Inventory homes, there are multiple Thornbury models in Fairwinds available for $239K and they come with appliances, granite counters and $5K at design centre.

http://www.mattamyhomes.com/Ottawa/C...very-Homes.php
Old 2013-09-30, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimbaBegin View Post
@foxborough: Thanks for the details.
@SandyS: How much is the price of the Thornbury with hardwood and tiles included? Could you give us a few examples of upgrades overpriced? Thanks a lot for the infos.
Prices are a little old. This was from a quick move-in model Thornberry that the builder had already picked/installed the cabinets, paint, tiles and hardwood December 2011 and the prices they had listed.

Banff Cream Ceramic Tile (standard tile); Riviera Coffee Red Oak Hardwood;
Ascona Expresso Thermo Foil Cabinetry; Light Beige #00102 Carpet; Sand Crystal Laminate Counters;
Paint – European White

Thornbury Upgrade Prices (approx $8100 – $8400)
Riviera red oak in Living/Dining $3900 - $4200 depending on direction
Ceramic TOTAL $2310 (rounded up) includes:
Foyer – 560; Powder room 125; Kitchen 1150; Laundry 245; Main bath 230
Stain railings to match hardwood $300; Upgraded Kitchen cabinets $1045; Upgraded bath cabinets $170; Kitchen backsplash $565
Old 2013-10-03, 08:38 PM
Regular User

@Jessey, thanks a lot for all the details. SandS just bought a Thornbury in Barrhaven and got the book as well. She is very kind to give me a lot of details. The price of upgrade was definitely a bit higher now.