Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2013-11-13, 02:14 PM
Regular User

Default Minto Erickson Model Home in Avalon

Hello All,

My wife and I are considering buying a Minto Home Erickson (Elevation C) in Avalon. It’s been three years since we saw the model showhome in Avalon and we are not sure if our memories are an accurate reflection of what the home is. We were able to see an older generation model (Elantra) but there were some subtle differences in the floor plan (kitchen size and basement layout). From what we remember, we loved the open entrance, the stairway and flow. We’d love to see a current model but apparently they are not a popular style for resale (people are tending to hold on to them.

We had some concerns about the layout and functionality of the kitchen. Is the space between the island and countertops wide enough for two people to pass and work beside? We are looking at doing some modifications to the layout (wall mounted oven, floor to ceiling cabinetry) and also considering increasing the depth of the kitchen (at the expense of the living room) by about five feet to accommodate side by side upright fridge and freezer and extra storage (this may necessitate moving or incorporating the bulk head in that wall). Further, we are considering removing the living room to make a larger dining room.

We would love to hear people’s opinions on the kitchen of the Erickson and its functionality.

Thanks in advance.

Chad2014
Old 2013-11-13, 07:10 PM
Regular User

I'm sure that Minto will let you do all these mods, typically, the track builders don't like too much structural changes. But nothing is stopping you to ask. I would ask the sale centre to visit one under constructio

Old 2013-11-19, 07:20 AM
Regular User

Smile

Thanks for the comment.

We approached Minto and spoke to one of their designers (and by association one of their archtitects) and were told that because the wall we'd like to move is a bulkhead, they cannot accommodate our changes. Minto has moved away from the custom home builds (~2-3 years now) and is instead going with selected options. The designer we met with offered some alternative suggestions to change the layout of the kitchen (making it more like a galley) but my wife and I aren't a fan of that. We're now relooking at the existing layout but changing where items (fridge, stove, sink and dishwasher) are located. We got the spacing dimensions from the designer (i.e. the distance from the island to the counter top etc) and are doing some modeling of the layouts and seeing how they "feel". The designer thinks that these types of changes would be easily acceptable to the "New" Minto. The designer also thinks that Minto would also be able to "create" a pantry next to the kitchen (in the living room area) relatively easy and is also suggesting putting a window in the pantry (which we like). If we really feel that moving the wall is a must, we've contacted renovators who said that they could do it (for a fee).

Now we're just trying to see an Erickson Model home.

Chard2014
Old 2013-11-19, 04:33 PM
Regular User

I know of a couple of Erickson models on our street and in the area so the Sales Centre staff can likely walk you through one after contacting the owners in advance to get the approval/OK for a visit...good luck!
Moved in: August 21st, 2013
Old 2013-11-21, 08:17 AM
Regular User

Thanks for the comment.

When we went to sales centre a while ago, we'd asked if there were any Erickson homes being built that we can view. They'd commented that no Ericksons are being built at that time; however, since then, I've found that there is one planned for a closing date July 2014. I'll aim to see that home as it's being constructed over the next few months.

I didn't ask the Sales Centre if they'd be willing to contact a current owner of an Erickson to see if we can view the home. I try that.

Thanks again.

Chard2014
Old 2014-01-30, 10:59 AM
Regular User

Hi everyone - Can any Minto Homeowners please post a picture of their sprayed stipple ceiling - I know what this type of ceiling looks like i just would like to see how the Minto finish is and how bumpy it is.
I would really appreciate any input.
Many thanks Nat.
Old 2014-02-03, 07:40 PM
Regular User

Default Ceiling

Hello Nat2014,

Here are some pictures of the ceiling in our spare bedroom. It was done by Minto over 12 years ago and they may have improved their process.

Hope this helps.

Chard2014
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0527.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	371.4 KB
ID:	11802   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0528.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	547.3 KB
ID:	11803  
Old 2014-02-04, 09:03 AM
Regular User

Thumbs up

Hi thanks for that - it really helps. I think we will also try and get to a model home to see it in 'the flesh' as it were.

Thanks again for taking the time to do that I appreciate it.

Nat.
Old 2014-02-04, 06:04 PM
Regular User

I think it would be advisable to pay for smooth ceiling upgrade. Stipple is a poor finish and mainly serves to hide poor plaster work. Plus it's cheaper for the builder.Another advantage to smooth ceilings is the ability to patch relatively easy should you ever get a leak or such etc... not so with stipple , you're stuck scraping the whole ceiling then re-stippling the whole thing after the patch is done.
My two cents after being in construction for 25 yrs
Old 2014-02-04, 09:10 PM
Regular User

A couple of points in defence of stipple :-)

1) the "scrape the whole ceiling" thing isn't true - you just need someone with decent skills to fix problems. We had a minor leak in our old house which came through a joint in the ceiling plasterboard and caused the paper tape to peel. We had a drywall guy come in who did a perfect fix to the tape, mud and stipple - absolutely perfect finish and done in a couple of hours for a good price.

2) having lived with both kinds of ceilings, I don't mind stipple at all and it even has an advantage - I find that flat ceilings show spots, marks and splashes way more and any kind of touch-up paint always shows up in the light. In my old house the flat kitchen ceiling was subject to a few splashes/splatters over the years and they really started to look bad.

Personally it was the last thing I would have spent money on for my current house.