Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2017-01-11, 04:10 PM
Regular User

Default Minto Sales Agreement - What's Your Experience?

Hi everyone, I had a few posts before but they were lost when the site broke down a while ago. I'm waiting for a lot to open up in Quinn's Pointe by Minto, but in the meantime I have a question about the sales agreement. They provided me a blank copy a few months ago.

For those who have already bought/signed the agreement, were the any clauses your lawyers successfully got changed or removed? I understand that these contracts are 95% for protecting the builder, but I was under the impression that the builders wouldn't want to change much, if anything at all.

Is there anything you would do differently? Is a lawyer at this stage worth the extra cost at all?
Old 2017-01-13, 06:00 PM
Regular User

I don't know what you mean by "at this stage" but from my understanding you need a real estate lawyer for this transaction... This cannot be avoided in Ontario and since I don't live on the Quebec side I can't speak for the quebecers.

Our experience with the sales agreement has been pretty routine to be honest but I did ask the lawyer about the Water heater rental clause and he said it does not constitute a direct contract with any rental company so if you wanna rip that sucker out and buy a cheaper one go right ahead, they got nothing on you They will try though.

Last edited by pabloottawa; 2017-01-13 at 06:03 PM.
Old 2017-01-14, 03:20 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloottawa View Post
I don't know what you mean by "at this stage" but from my understanding you need a real estate lawyer for this transaction... This cannot be avoided in Ontario and since I don't live on the Quebec side I can't speak for the quebecers.

Our experience with the sales agreement has been pretty routine to be honest but I did ask the lawyer about the Water heater rental clause and he said it does not constitute a direct contract with any rental company so if you wanna rip that sucker out and buy a cheaper one go right ahead, they got nothing on you They will try though.
There is no requirement for a lawyer when signing the purchase paperwork. You do however require a lawyer for closing. Our first new build, our lawyer when over the paperwork with us, we chose to forego this cost with out second new build.
Old 2017-01-17, 09:18 PM
Regular User

When we hired a lawyer, it was an all-inclusive fee that includes reading over the sales agreement. I would recommend it for peace of mind. We didn't get anything changed within the contract, but he just flagged things for us to be aware of.
Old 2017-01-21, 06:00 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk25 View Post
Hi everyone, I had a few posts before but they were lost when the site broke down a while ago. I'm waiting for a lot to open up in Quinn's Pointe by Minto, but in the meantime I have a question about the sales agreement. They provided me a blank copy a few months ago.

For those who have already bought/signed the agreement, were the any clauses your lawyers successfully got changed or removed? I understand that these contracts are 95% for protecting the builder, but I was under the impression that the builders wouldn't want to change much, if anything at all.

Is there anything you would do differently? Is a lawyer at this stage worth the extra cost at all?
Hi hawk25, we bought from Mint recently. The sales agreement was standard. We ran it by the lawyer just to play it safe. No surprises & nothing unusual. Thanks