Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Basement Finishing and Renovations

Basement Finishing and Renovations Has it been 2 years already? Time to work on finishing the basement into some extra living space.

Old 2017-04-24, 02:40 PM
Regular User

Talking Finishing the Basement (project)

Thought I'd start a thread so others can follow my journey - I'll do my best to keep it updated. Hopefully it'll help/inspire others but also act as an area where folks can chime in with ideas and suggestions (I am sure to ask a question or 2, haha).

I am planning on doing most of the work myself (with help from some friends here and there) so this will be a learning experience but one that I hope will be a fun one too as my wife and I are looking to get creative along the way! We're installing a 2pc bathroom (roughed-in already) and (hopefully) turning the underside of the stairs into a small reading/sitting/play nook. We're also looking forward to adding some built-ins, picture nooks and a bunch of other "Houzz" type ideas but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it!

The Start
Begun by ripping down the builder insulation - don't know what's behind the walls, can't verify the R-value and would prefer to "start from scratch" any way. Doesn't have to be done this way, as I understand, but it's what we decided on. I'll be going with a combination of rigid panels and Roxul to get me around ~R-20 for the foundation walls. Sub-floor, as pictured, will be DMX Airflow (3/8") as it still maintained a thermal break and airflow underneath (like a Dricore, etc.) but was much thinner than 7/8" Dricore as we have a finished landing with carpet and the transition would be too tall with an OSB/panel sub-floor + flooring on top of that. Wasn't expecting to find all the wires hidden behind the insulation but I'm sure it's common...I'll have to figure out what to do with those once I get the panels in place. So far so good
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	516
Size:	275.6 KB
ID:	13873   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	448
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	13874   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	439
Size:	266.3 KB
ID:	13875   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	439
Size:	283.6 KB
ID:	13876   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	422
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	13877  

Last edited by xdarrylx; 2017-04-24 at 02:53 PM.
Old 2017-04-24, 02:47 PM
Regular User

Great project.. Good luck!
Old 2017-04-24, 04:59 PM
Regular User

Have you gotten estimates on spray foam insulation? The materials plus lots of hours gets you closer than you might think.

Foam panels on poured concrete is hard to do properly. All the limps and bumps need to be removed, and the panel fastened to the wall with glue in horizontal rows. Otherwise you have gaps and airflow and condensation problems.
Old 2017-04-25, 10:28 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
Have you gotten estimates on spray foam insulation? The materials plus lots of hours gets you closer than you might think.

Foam panels on poured concrete is hard to do properly. All the limps and bumps need to be removed, and the panel fastened to the wall with glue in horizontal rows. Otherwise you have gaps and airflow and condensation problems.
Thanks for the suggestion good2know...we didn't get a quote for spray foam because some friends had mentioned how much they spent on some projects (however I am still considering it at the rim joist as that area is quite hard to get into and seal up properly). I am currently thinking about a bead of PL around the joist and a 6mm vapour barrier but haven't quite reached that stage yet - any suggestions are welcome!

Transporting all the lumber was a fun task - luckily using the window well made it much easier but it was still a pretty solid workout, haha! It was raining when we took delivery so we left them laying out for a bit to dry quicker and you're correct good2know about the foundation walls. When the forms were lifted it left a lot of sharp and protruding edges that would make it difficult to adhere the panels so I spent probably an hour with a brick chisel to smooth out any imperfections and the panels (using PL foam 300) stuck quite nicely. Afterwards I layed some 2x4s against them while I secured the other panels to help with adhesion. I did also follow an "S pattern" and glued horizontally. Followed that up with tuck taped seams and so far we're in business!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	006.JPG
Views:	414
Size:	319.5 KB
ID:	13881   Click image for larger version

Name:	007.JPG
Views:	392
Size:	340.0 KB
ID:	13882   Click image for larger version

Name:	008.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	13883   Click image for larger version

Name:	009.JPG
Views:	419
Size:	325.6 KB
ID:	13884   Click image for larger version

Name:	010.JPG
Views:	423
Size:	276.0 KB
ID:	13885  

Last edited by xdarrylx; 2017-04-25 at 10:32 AM.
Old 2017-04-25, 10:59 AM
Regular User

Fun fun! Following! Best of luck @xdaryllx! I'll be following updates for sure!
Old 2017-04-25, 11:08 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krooner View Post
Fun fun! Following! Best of luck @xdaryllx! I'll be following updates for sure!
Thanks Krooner!
Old 2017-04-25, 01:52 PM
Regular User

When I do rim joist air sealing, I use latex caulk. Easier to work with than construction adhesive. Run a bead then squish it in with your finger.

Once it's air sealed, Fiberglas insulation works fine. It's the vapour barrier that's tricky.

When working with acoustical sealant, a helpful hint is to run the sealant bead where you need it, then let it sit for a day or so. It is sticker than when wet, but doesn't get all over everything.
Old 2017-04-25, 02:30 PM

Looking forward to following along. I am part way through doing mine. I second the spray insulation idea, had it done in my basement and I love it. I find that the temp stays the same down there all year long whether we have the furnace going in the winter or the AC in the summer.
Old 2017-04-25, 04:33 PM
Regular User

Quote:
When I do rim joist air sealing, I use latex caulk. Easier to work with than construction adhesive. Run a bead then squish it in with your finger.

Once it's air sealed, Fiberglas insulation works fine. It's the vapour barrier that's tricky.
THanks for that info, good2know. My plan is to use rigid foam (left over pieces from the wall) and seal the edges w/ spray foam. Where I can't access because of duct work, I think I'll seriously consider your advice.

Quote:
When working with acoustical sealant, a helpful hint is to run the sealant bead where you need it, then let it sit for a day or so. It is sticker than when wet, but doesn't get all over everything.
Great tip - I'll totally keep that in mind.

Last edited by xdarrylx; 2017-04-25 at 05:00 PM.
Old 2017-04-25, 04:35 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersno1 View Post
Looking forward to following along. I am part way through doing mine. I second the spray insulation idea, had it done in my basement and I love it. I find that the temp stays the same down there all year long whether we have the furnace going in the winter or the AC in the summer.
Do you mind sharing (via PM if you want) who you hired for the spray foam, Flyersno1? Since I'm going with rigid foam + roxul, I'm not too worried about temperature but am considering the rim joist (as noted above) to save time/hassle. Thanks for any info you can provide

And good luck with your project - would love to hear how it's going as well...perhaps we can exchange some ideas/pointers!