Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2017-05-15, 11:23 AM
Regular User

Default Ever considered NOT going with builder upgrades?

After touring the design centre for my new home, I was left feeling a little worried about being able to achieve the look I want. I was coincidentally walking through Ikea and noticed how gorgeous their Sektion kitchens are.
There's nothing wrong with the kitchens that come with my builder (Minto), but none of them really come with the cool extra features that the Ikea kitchen does.

My biggest issue is the kitchen island that comes with my floor plan. It's just too small, and doesn't come with any special features. I don't love any of the upgrade options, which mostly consist of turning the island 90 degrees. The kitchen island in Ikea is phenomenal - drawers within drawers, four-bin pull-out garbage/recycling, enormous cabinets.

I'm now considering the unusual option of only upgrading to hardwood floors and leaving everything else builder grade, and then just popping in an Ikea kitchen after.

Has anyone else ever done this or considered it? Or is there a magic trick to getting the Minto kitchen of your dreams?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Old 2017-05-15, 01:12 PM
Regular User

Strange. Did you have a design consultation? I didn't buy Minto so I do not know their policies. I do know that with my builder I could do anything I wanted in terms of layout. I just had to pay for it.

I have a colleague that recently renovated and used Ikea as their cabinet supplier. They were very pleased with the result and the contractors who installed them.

My understanding is there is never any loophole that gets you more that what others have already obtained. You pay one way or another.

So the real question is can you tolerate contractors coming into your home after you moved in?
Old 2017-05-15, 07:47 PM
Regular User

I recently bought a Minto home, closing late this year. I already went through the design appointments, and personally found their upgrade options very overpriced for the quality you get (typical with a new build I guess). I'm doing something similar to what you're thinking.

I wanted a certain colour/width of hardwood flooring for the entire main floor, kitchen included. Minto had something close but the cost was crazy. Same with the quartz countertop selections. I went with the basic hardwood for the kitchen and laminate countertop. I'll wait after the 30 day inspection period before I rip anything out.

I found the hardwood I like at another place, and am looking at a quartz store now. Both of which will cost thousands less than what Minto would have charged. I went with the builder for cabinets since I found one I liked.

I found that Minto is very inflexible with any changes, but hopefully you have better luck than I did. It's a shame I'll have to rip out brand new floors/cabinets, but it's for the best in the long run.

I have the same issue with the kitchen island as you do, mine's small as well. What I'm doing is installing an extra long quartz island countertop (one piece). It'll extend past the edge of the island and continue onward for ~4 feet, then I'll put table legs at the end. You can reach out to custom cabinet makers to get quotes on something you'll love, but I'm sure it would be more expensive than Ikea.

Just a tip, if you find a particular style of cabinet you like at the design center, you can contact their supplier Potvin directly. You can ask them to design something more to your liking and install after you move in

Last edited by hawk25; 2017-05-15 at 07:52 PM.
Old 2017-05-16, 09:15 AM
Regular User

I guess you can do that but it sounds like a waste of money in a new build. You are still paying a lot for that basic unupgraded kitchen in your new home.
Old 2017-05-16, 09:52 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvg View Post
I guess you can do that but it sounds like a waste of money in a new build. You are still paying a lot for that basic unupgraded kitchen in your new home.
Agreed. Hope you find an alternative as that sounds like a lot of $$$ down the drain
Old 2017-05-16, 11:58 AM
Regular User

x3. The kitchen being the most expensive part of the house. Even at a big discount expensive is still just that. I find it hard to understand that the design center cannot accommodate your design requirement. Is it actually a big deal to offer you all the styles and dimensions of cabinets available in the current market? I can understand installing your upgraded countertop later.
Old 2017-05-17, 12:22 PM
Regular User

I would recommend having your design centre person at Minto design the kitchen you want. Maybe just the layout and cabinets; leave the counters for post-closing. At the same time, pop onto Ikea's website and design your same kitchen there with everything you want. The estimates for both might change your mind...or not!

Side note: we were able to buy the Ikea soft-closers for all of our doors and several of our cabinets were able to accommodate their pull-out shelves.
Old 2017-05-17, 01:59 PM
Regular User

I haven't had my design centre appointment yet, but the more research I can do prepares me to ask the right questions. I met with a consultant for an introductory session at the design centre, and she did tell me outright that many things on my wish list were not offered. She also provided me the entire upgrade options list (which is helpful, although difficult to read). I would love to see some kind of catalogue so that I can peruse my options at home, but that so far doesn't exist as far as I know.

I agree that it is a waste of money to have to change out your kitchen immediately, but are there other options if I cannot get the kitchen I want? It also seems like a waste of money to upgrade through the design centre to options that I do not enjoy. Even the most basic upgrades quickly add up.

The money concerns me less than the wastefulness of taking down cabinetry that was just put up. Ikea is pretty affordable, and likely would cost no more than upgrading some kitchen features, and possibly the overhaul would cost less than an upgraded kitchen from the design centre.

It's definitely possible that the design centre will be able to accommodate some of these requests, but they definitely do not have satisfactory options for the kitchen island.

I'd love to hear more stories about the design centre process, if anyone has any to share
Old 2017-05-17, 03:29 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanandLaura View Post
I haven't had my design centre appointment yet, but the more research I can do prepares me to ask the right questions. I met with a consultant for an introductory session at the design centre, and she did tell me outright that many things on my wish list were not offered. She also provided me the entire upgrade options list (which is helpful, although difficult to read). I would love to see some kind of catalogue so that I can peruse my options at home, but that so far doesn't exist as far as I know.

I agree that it is a waste of money to have to change out your kitchen immediately, but are there other options if I cannot get the kitchen I want? It also seems like a waste of money to upgrade through the design centre to options that I do not enjoy. Even the most basic upgrades quickly add up.

The money concerns me less than the wastefulness of taking down cabinetry that was just put up. Ikea is pretty affordable, and likely would cost no more than upgrading some kitchen features, and possibly the overhaul would cost less than an upgraded kitchen from the design centre.

It's definitely possible that the design centre will be able to accommodate some of these requests, but they definitely do not have satisfactory options for the kitchen island.

I'd love to hear more stories about the design centre process, if anyone has any to share
What features specifically are you looking for? There are a lot of universal organization addins you can get. My entire house has slow close everything now for example.

Have you priced out the entire kitchen from ikea? It is affordable in the realm of a complete kitchen renovations, I guess. Its a hefty price if you just want some led lights or extra dividers.

Look at rev-a-shelf accessories, there are tons of solutions available there.
Old 2017-05-17, 03:43 PM
Regular User

The original kitchen is not a waste.

Fancy up the laundry room and mudroom, create a wet bar in the lower level with them, cabinets for the kids playroom - all are good options which save spending more for those things later.

Doing what you suggest also gives you lots of time to get the design and the materials right.

When you spend $000s in kitchen upgrades, you really are not getting any compensation for the original kitchen anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanandLaura View Post