Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2018-05-06, 07:37 PM

Smile u

Hello Everyone
I would appreciate if someone can answer some or all of my questions. I just signed a purchase agreement for the marigold corner with mattamy.

1. I am looking to turn the basement to a sizeable bedroom, 3 piece and a rec room (small lounge). Is this possible giving the size?

2. Would you recommend the laundry upstairs? giving that this will delete the mirrored closet in the master bedroom
3. I have ordered the rec room ready. If I delete it, do you reckon if it is still possible (and cost effective ) to have a 3 piece bath room

4. Do you have the bath oasis? is this a better option to having a 'super shower'?

Thank you.

Last edited by jsbey; 2019-01-06 at 08:35 PM.
Old 2018-05-10, 09:08 AM
Regular User

I bought the ELM model and was my first home. I too thought of laundry in the basement, but now prefer that it is upstairs. It is about convenience. You don't have to lug clothes up and down from the basement. I think now most purchasers expect it to be upstairs. You can always have the rough in for laundry in the basement if you change your mind. I think having laundry facility upstairs is more useful than having a closet if that's the trade-off. Others may have a different opinion.
Rec room ready is better to have for future 3 piece bathroom. I think that would be difficult to do later and cost you a lot.
I chose the bath oasis as I did not have the choice of super shower. For me personally, I would have rather just had a larger glass super shower than the smaller shower and bath tub which I have ( I don't use the tub). I chose the glass enclosure for the shower which looks really nice. As well I had all the bathroom counter tops in quartz (the cheapest they offered but still looks good)
Old 2018-05-11, 02:46 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbey View Post
Hello Everyone
I would appreciate if someone can answer some or all of my questions. I just signed a purchase agreement for the marigold corner with mattamy.

1. I am looking to turn the basement to a sizeable bedroom, 3 piece and a rec room (small lounge). Is this possible giving the size?

2. Would you recommend the laundry upstairs? giving that this will delete the mirrored closet in the master bedroom
3. I have ordered the rec room ready. If I delete it, do you reckon if it is still possible (and cost effective ) to have a 3 piece bath room

4. Do you have the bath oasis? is this a better option to having a 'super shower'?

Thank you.
By curiosity, have you bought the last Marigold in Half Moon Bay with all the bonuses?

1. Go to homestyler, import the basement plan from Mattamy website. After importing, you can scale the plan with the known measures (example : You can also scale according to garage size).

Be careful, make sure the downstairs room is legal. See Ottawa city website for windows minimum size. If there is a fire, people needs to be able to escape through the windows.

2. Personally, we did not choose to get the laundry upstairs. For that, we would have to buy extra quiet appliances and we are afraid of water leak. Laundry was in the basement in our previous house and we were ok. It is really a personal choice. As my own experience, laundry location is not the first thing people think when buying a house.

3. Do! Expensive to do it later, not counting the mess!

4. It is a personal thing. In my case, I have chosen a 9FT ceiling rather than this. Super shower ..if they offer (My appointment is at the end of summer) might not look like you think. I am planning to upgrade later on with my own.
Old 2018-05-14, 09:27 AM
Regular User

I love my upstairs laundry and it was one of my 'must' for buying this house. I got an insulated door and there isn't much noise. I got a water alarm for leaks but I've never had a laundry leak.

Get the rec room ready. Even if the powder room needs to be somewhere else, the larger windows make a huge difference.
Old 2018-05-14, 11:47 AM
Regular User

A year ago I would have said to go check out the model home, but it's been sold and someone lives there now

But I will say, the model home sealed the deal for me. The first time I walked in I said "Wow! I want to live here!", and I visited it many, many times after that. I finally bought one about a year after that, and continued to visit even after I bought to get inspiration and design ideas. I think the sales center was starting to get sick of seeing me walk in

1. I'll say that the basement is smaller than you might think. Remember that the measurements on the floor plan don't include the 6-8" lost from every exterior wall by the existing blanket insulation, which you'll want to either cover up or replace with stud walls and spray foam. You also need to work around 2-3 steel posts, and a long support beam running across and below the kitchen, which may result in low ceiling areas depending on your actual grade.

Once you block off the utility areas (particularly if you leave the laundry downstairs), you've got room for a 3 piece bath, and I'd say either a sizeable bedroom or a sizeable rec room, or a small bedroom and small rec room. If you do upstairs laundry and move the laundry sink closer to the furnace and HWT (if that's possible) you could probably block off a bedroom and bathroom and then cleverly arrange the remaining open space to be a rec room.

The long "wing" under the porch is a great storage area, but not much use for anything else.

2. I have the upstairs laundry and I like (not love) it. My laundry pair is old (kept them from my first townhome in Fairwinds, so they're coming up on 10 years old now!) so they're not particularly quiet. I think I'd love it a lot more if I had a modern, new, quiet machine. The closet doors are a bit awkward and crowds the hallway right outside your bedroom. I like the idea of getting insulated doors to block out the sounds, but I also like the idea of taking those doors right off and either leaving it open or using curtains instead. I use a plastic drain pan and hope that there won't be any leakage. Get good hoses (steel braided, not rubber) and you should be fine. Even with the noise, it is far more convenient for me to have laundry upstairs than it is to constantly shuttle my laundry 3 stories up and down.

3. Get the rec room ready for the larger basement windows. They're pretty small as it is, so anything helps. You might get lucky and your grade might allow for even larger windows than what I got.

My understanding is that it's not that much work to reroute bathroom plumbing in a basement if the placement they give you doesn't coincide with where you want your eventual bathroom, so don't worry too much about that.

4. I got the glass shower enclosure and it is possibly the best upgrade I have ever bought. It's bright and roomy and relaxing. I thought all that glass might be a huge pain to keep clean but if you wipe it down even once a month with vinegar/soap mix or a water/bleach solution, you keep the scum from accumulating. I definitely recommend it.

Last edited by GreyingJay; 2018-05-14 at 11:50 AM.