Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2018-05-23, 03:24 PM
Regular User

Default Mattamy Honeybell

Hey all,

Just curious if anyone has purchased this model, with or without the loft.

If so, do you happen to have a price guide of the upgrades that Mattamy offers with the house.

How do you find the layout etc

Thank you
Vanessa
---------------------------------------------------
Valecraft: Marseilles II End - Trailwest
June 12, 2014

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
Caivan: Series 1, Plan 2
June 4, 2020

Old 2018-05-24, 01:30 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessiesens View Post
Hey all,

If so, do you happen to have a price guide of the upgrades that Mattamy offers with the house.

How do you find the layout etc

Thank you
Vanessa
LAYOUT

Price guide...not such a thing with Mattamy. They give themselves the honor to change prices until you get your appointment with the deco centre. Do like me, snick in the deco centre and ask buyers with similar house type for their price list. When you buy a house, we should have the right to get the total cost before signing any agreements.
Old 2018-05-24, 05:30 PM
Regular User

Ive never met a aingle builder who shares all their upgrades, Cardel is the closest with general upgrades. But i dont know why these builders hidenit from us. I want to make a conscious decision to buy a house lnpwing all my budget. Who cares if the buyer wsnts to dp it with you or after market. At least gove them prices.

When i boughtt my first mattamy home i eas so naive but thankfilly it was a popular model and others cohld share the price plans. Now no one biys bungalows so hard to get an idea of costs.
---------------------------------------------------
Valecraft: Marseilles II End - Trailwest
June 12, 2014

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
Caivan: Series 1, Plan 2
June 4, 2020

Old 2018-05-25, 11:04 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Ive never met a aingle builder who shares all their upgrades, Cardel is the closest with general upgrades. But i dont know why these builders hidenit from us. I want to make a conscious decision to buy a house lnpwing all my budget. Who cares if the buyer wsnts to dp it with you or after market. At least gove them prices.
Could be a number of reasons. I have no industry insights here, just two previous Mattamy builds and some experience with marketing and business.

Contractors and vendors change, which can affect prices. It's possible that the builder keeps such careful control over their costs and margins that every time their hardwood flooring or tile or cabinet suppliers report a change in parts pricing, they can press a button and recalculate all the price guides for all the upgrade options for all the houses. (Or pay some intern somewhere to change the numbers... *shudder*)

Related to above, we often sign the paperwork for our houses many months before construction is slated to start. It might not make sense to quote you the cost of the hardwood upgrade at today's prices if your house won't be built until 2020. So they say let's wait 6-10 months and talk about it then.

Some costs are based more on labour than materials, and this can take into account all kinds of factors including how much trouble it is to change the plans, set up variances in the work orders, flag things differently for inspections, etc. I think that's why they sometimes charge you money to actually not do work, like delete doors or bulkheads or fixtures. I would not be surprised if some things are priced expensively, not because they cost a lot to do, but because they're so much trouble that they don't want to do it.

From a sales point of view, they want you to sign, and they don't want you to back out. It's possible that they are intentionally coy about prices, with vague promises that "oh it'll only be around $X" in order to not give you any excuses to say "upgrades are going to cost me HOW much? Forget it!" Notice that by the time you actually get your prices in writing, it's too late to change your mind. You're already getting the house, so might as well buy the upgrades.... right?

Some builders' sales model is to show you a low, low price to hook you in, knowing that you'll be forking out another 5-20% of that price in upgrades. Other builders charge more up front but give you more stuff as standard. You have to expect this going in and budget accordingly.

On the bright side, at least we get comprehensive price catalogs in advance, and access to the design center for ideas and inspiration. My parents dealt with a builder that you had to email or call separately every time you wanted something. How much for this? How much for that? How much to upgrade that? Then they were called into a meeting, given a price list and some tile/cabinet/hardwood swatches, and expected to make all the color decisions right on the spot.

Last edited by GreyingJay; 2018-05-25 at 11:07 AM.
Old 2018-05-29, 10:05 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Ive never met a aingle builder who shares all their upgrades, Cardel is the closest with general upgrades.
Tartan did offer to let us look at their current general upgrade book while in their sales office before we signed. It was not all of the model-specific pricing for things like hardwood and tile but it did give prices the generic stuff (sinks, wiring, A/C, extra drawers, etc)