Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2009-05-14, 10:53 PM
Regular User

Fingers, your cabinets look great (and not cheap). I like the even colour application.

Sometimes with real wood there is variation in the colour. The thermoplastic looks fine if the door style is more simple contemporary/modern and not traditional style.
Old 2009-05-15, 09:24 AM
Regular User

Kelly: She didn't really know too much since it was just pulled off that day (just our luck) but I gather that it has to do with the people complaining about an uneven stain? Don't quote me on that but I know it was a common problem Laurysen had with their Java stain which was then replaced by Cocoa.

*UPDATE*
I just talked to the head of Potvin kitchens and he says that they are not discontinuing the stain, they've just asked the builders to hold off on selling it until they rework the recipe. Potvin has no plans to get rid of the espresso stain as it's their only dark stain. He said that they were having problems with it because if the wood ended up with any imperfections or scratches that it was very visible.

They hope to make a new stain which is very close in color in the next two weeks. They are still honoring all espresso choices made by homebuyers thus far. He says he feels confident that we will be able to get the stain (or the new one) in our home.

Our new appointment is June 1st which is two weeks from now. I hope to be able to have an answer by then.

Last edited by homeshoppin; 2009-05-15 at 12:57 PM. Reason: New information
Old 2009-05-16, 01:01 AM
Regular User

I have the cocoa colour from Mattamy on Maple and Love them!! Real wood and it's natural grain is a beauty in itself. Its more what you prefer. I've seen thermofoil is my freinds house and again personal opnion, not for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	home 018.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	4249   Click image for larger version

Name:	home 019.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	4250  

Closing: March 26th
Old 2009-05-16, 12:44 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by suevas View Post
I have the cocoa colour from Mattamy on Maple and Love them!! Real wood and it's natural grain is a beauty in itself. Its more what you prefer. I've seen thermofoil is my freinds house and again personal opnion, not for me.
I really like your cabinetry! Do you mind sharing the model type, as well as, your countertops?

[/url]
Old 2009-05-16, 10:02 PM
Regular User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeshoppin View Post
*UPDATE*
I just talked to the head of Potvin kitchens and he says that they are not discontinuing the stain, they've just asked the builders to hold off on selling it until they rework the recipe. Potvin has no plans to get rid of the espresso stain as it's their only dark stain. He said that they were having problems with it because if the wood ended up with any imperfections or scratches that it was very visible.

They hope to make a new stain which is very close in color in the next two weeks. They are still honoring all espresso choices made by homebuyers thus far. He says he feels confident that we will be able to get the stain (or the new one) in our home.

Our new appointment is June 1st which is two weeks from now. I hope to be able to have an answer by then.
That sounds very promising! Woo hoo!

Soho West - Kanata

Uh...make that Trailwest...
Old 2009-05-19, 03:41 PM
Regular User

Damn,
It took me 2 months to choose this colour over walnut and off-white with Minto. I signed off in March and the house closes in July. Any idea what the "new" espresso looks like? I did raise the concern that the old one showed scratches like crazy.
Old 2009-05-19, 03:56 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketsana View Post
Damn,
It took me 2 months to choose this colour over walnut and off-white with Minto. I signed off in March and the house closes in July. Any idea what the "new" espresso looks like? I did raise the concern that the old one showed scratches like crazy.
ketsana: Potvin says they should have the new samples around the end of this week or next. He said that the colour will be very close if not the exact same. I will take pictures when I go back on June 1st if you like, providing that the new samples are in.
Old 2009-05-19, 04:04 PM
Regular User

Thanks,
Look forward to seeing the pictures. I can understand why they pulled it though. I was arguing with my wife about this stain and how visible scratches were on it. Hopefully Potvin injects some aluminum oxide in there like the coating that is used for hardwood stairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeshoppin View Post
ketsana: Potvin says they should have the new samples around the end of this week or next. He said that the colour will be very close if not the exact same. I will take pictures when I go back on June 1st if you like, providing that the new samples are in.