Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Building and Construction

Building and Construction General topics of building a home and the home construction industry.

Old 2009-07-21, 08:04 PM

Default Quick Question about Basement renovation

Hello All,

My father and I recently started working on renovating the basement in his house. I have a question regarding insulation in the basement. My uncle (who is a builder) maintains that you only need a certain amount of insulation (i.e., you don't need to put any below a certain point and you need to allow for breathing).

My father thinks that he needs to stuff the entire space between studs with insulation. We have Tyvek on the concrete wall and have just finished putting up the framing. Now we're getting ready for insulation I was hoping to resolve this issue. If anyone has any tips, that would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Old 2009-07-21, 08:58 PM
Regular User

I found out later that you don't need to insulate all the way to the bottom. It's best to leave a space for airflow. Seen it on Holmes on Holmes. I did the entire thing not realizing. Not certain how much difference it makes though. I lived there for 3 years and it never showed any signs of mold or mildew from it. Most builders will only insulate that way as well, probably for the same reason of airflow. Just my two cents though.
Old 2009-07-22, 01:08 AM
Regular User

If you're closing up the wall to finish the basement then I believe code requires that you insulate and VB to the floor. I have never seen Mike Holmes insulate half way on a finished basement project. Leaving air space so the wall can breath will cause a convection loop.

Read this.
http://www.joneakes.com/cgi-bin/getd...als.cgi?id=743
Old 2011-06-08, 12:13 PM
Regular User

I don't get where homeowners get the leave room to breathe stuff and I can guarantee that Mike Holmes nor any other "TV" contractor would recommend that. I have only found that old school contractors recommend this...

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe that new building code, atleast in Ontario may already or will require insulation to the floor.

I just did a basement reno (permitted) and there was to be NO gaps anywhere, even to the extent that the inspector wanted the corners filled and to do my best to fill the gaps behind the studs where it was required due to walls not being straight.

Bottom line, insulate throughout, mitigate air movement, don't forget the headers, vapour barrier top to bottom and tuck tape thoroughly.

Just like a previous poster provided link to Jon Eakes, I believe that also links to CMHC website where they did a study about "breathing" it only promotes mold growth especially if a good portion of your basement is below grade.
Old 2011-06-08, 12:15 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnxiouslyWaiting View Post
I found out later that you don't need to insulate all the way to the bottom. It's best to leave a space for airflow. Seen it on Holmes on Holmes. I did the entire thing not realizing. Not certain how much difference it makes though. I lived there for 3 years and it never showed any signs of mold or mildew from it. Most builders will only insulate that way as well, probably for the same reason of airflow. Just my two cents though.
Yes they only insulate 2 ft below grade however they do not close it up.