Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2009-07-26, 08:39 AM
Regular User

Default Flooding in West Ottawa

Anyone here affected by the recent flooding in the west end?

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Ow...877/story.html

Do Ottawa area builders install back-flow valves in their new homes? Seems like a big "to do" when we move in if it's not already done .

Last edited by Mike83; 2009-07-26 at 08:47 AM.
Old 2009-07-26, 09:14 AM
Regular User

Last week on cambrian they had guys out flushing out the sewers with a high pressure water, the force was so high that air was coming out of all of our sinks and the toilets where blowing water out of them, thankfully the lines where clean(fecal free) as we all just closed here last week..... Scared my 5 years old though.....

No effects from flooding though Except my mood has been low with all of this rain!!!!!
Old 2009-07-26, 09:19 AM
Regular User

It seems to be in the older portion older portion of Kanata that this is happening (Glen Cairn area). I was over at my Uncles on Friday night because of their basement being under 6 inches of water. The sewers just couldn't handle that much water.
Old 2009-07-26, 02:33 PM
Regular User

We checked on our our place in Brookside this morning, looks like a bit of water came in near the window in the basement, from the looks of it the drainage stone in the window well was covered in mud, and I'm thinking with all of the rain the water probably built up like a pool by the window and then it came into the basement. Getting them to tear the walls off and fix the issue before the put any finishings in the basement.

Glad we went to snoop this morning, then played stupid and brought the saleslady with us in the afternoon.
Old 2009-07-26, 08:42 PM
Regular User

SoHo West was surprisingly unscathed. We're close to Glen Cairn, and at low ground, but the drainage systems did their thing because even though I saw a car submerged up to the windshield on Terry Fox near our house, there was no pooling anywhere on our street, even with the storm drain being in my backyard (i.e. we're lowest ground of all). However, one of our living room windows was cracked open during the storm .

Soho West - Kanata

Uh...make that Trailwest...
Old 2009-07-26, 09:11 PM
Regular User

I also took a drive around Sohowest to see if it had been affected by the rain, and was impressed that only a few areas had filled with water, (but nowhere near house are currently being built).

Although, I do question how much more rain water the area could have handled.. the bike path leading from Cope Rd to Terry Fox was completely submerged!
Old 2009-07-26, 09:59 PM
Regular User

Parts of Moodie Drive was also submerged under water based on other news reports. I also heard from a stranger that some homes in Findlay Creek also had their basements flooded - based on his relative who lives there (who had a couple inches of water in their basement). Not sure if this has been reported yet or how valid is this.

I feel sorry for the residents in Glen Cairn that have been affected by this storm. The city needs to do more that what they have already done to make sure this doesn't happen anymore.
Old 2009-07-26, 10:07 PM
Regular User

Glen Cairn has been this way for 20years plus. At work we get flooded(pardon the pun) with no hot water calls from flooded basements in that area...
Old 2009-07-26, 10:45 PM

Deer Run in Stittsville was hit badly, 5 of 7 houses closest to mine were effected. 3 different Builders were involved and it seemed to be random. In all cases the backwater valve failed, as there was 3 ft high fountain of water gushing out of it.

I and another neighbor were able to limit the damage buy standing on the lid for 15 min! Still a wrecked basement, but not 24in of water like the other houses.

Spoken to builder, insurance and City, who currently claim that the city is not responsible as this part of the subdivision has not been taken over yet. (But then saw a lot of City workers poking about in the drains today???)

From what I can work out and to be confirmed by plumber tomorrow I think the back water valve gave way, will want to get to the bottom of this.
Old 2009-07-28, 10:50 AM
Regular User

Yup, Deer Run here, and my backflow valve thing blew right off. The cap wasn't even screwed on properly. What's strange, and I will be getting an answer on this tomorrow morning, is the orientation of the flapper valve. I swear when I reached in there to screw the lid on after the water had slowed down a bit, the valve was flapping INWARDS. All diagrams I can find online show the valve opening towards the street side, so that when the street water presses towards the house, the valve closes and does its job. Either I have some weird different valve, or it was installed incorrectly. I'm not sure who will take responsibility. If it was a bad install, the builder warranty (or city since they signed off the plumbing inspection?) might kick in. Insurance has been cooperating so far, but my damage was minimal (unfinished basement). But they said they would be contacting me to arrange cleanup, etc. The flyer from the city says that insurance handles it, and then often seeks compensation from the city on your behalf. So in the end, I have no idea how it will all work out in the end.