Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Appliances and Furniture

Appliances and Furniture What fits? Where to get it? How will it look?

Old 2010-01-10, 12:33 AM
Regular User

Default Has anyone purchased appliances from the US?

Normally I wouldnt bother cross-border shopping, but the price difference is almost 50%!

Naturally, I'd have difficulty fitting a fridge into my car, but I think I can manage both a stove and DW.

I don't really care about warranty. Are there any precautions i should be taking? Are gas stoves certified independently for US and Canadian markets? Most appliances are certified for both, as Canadian building code accepts both UL and CSA stamps... Just not sure about gas.

Old 2010-01-18, 08:36 PM
Regular User

I've seriously thought about it! When we moved from Texas to Canada (and brought our appliances with us) they didn't ask about any stamps on our fridge or stove. Our car had to have bilingual stickers though (go figure).

How on earth are you going to fit a stove and a dishwasher in your car? I don't even think I could get that in my SUV?
Old 2010-01-18, 08:41 PM
Regular User

I have fit some ridiculously large objects in my car, like a full dining set, full size snowblowers, motorcycles, its bananas.

Anyways, i'm pretty serious about this. I'm going to try to find a company that will rent me a cube van that I can take cross-border. If you want in, lemme know, we can split it I'll be basically doing a run to the closest C&B and Sears. I've also got family in Jersey and Cincinnati who wouldn't mind storing stuff that needs to be ordered.

Old 2010-01-19, 09:55 AM
Regular User

Hey Fingers. Just a heads up abouting buying stuff in the US. A friend of mine bought a LED LCD TV in the US and when he was at the best buy, they said that although the warranty was not valid in Canada, if he bought the service plan, that warranty is valid across North America. You may want to consider asking Sears whether their extended service plan is valid in Canada. I know with TV's you could also purchase 3rd party warranty (basically as long as the model is sold in Canada, they can fix it here) and its cheaper. I picked up a 50" Panny in the states a few months back and it was the 1/2 the cost after factoring in the taxes/duty(picked it up in Potsdam). Good luck.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Old 2010-01-21, 11:47 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
I have fit some ridiculously large objects in my car, like a full dining set, full size snowblowers, motorcycles, its bananas.

Anyways, i'm pretty serious about this. I'm going to try to find a company that will rent me a cube van that I can take cross-border. If you want in, lemme know, we can split it I'll be basically doing a run to the closest C&B and Sears. I've also got family in Jersey and Cincinnati who wouldn't mind storing stuff that needs to be ordered.
My mom has a home in Florida and she's there right now You should see the amount of stuff I've already had shipped or made her go pick-up.

I have to sign off on all my choices by next Friday or my house will be delayed so I just bit the bullet and bought my appliances here. It was expensive but what can you do. I don't even know where they sell Jenn-Air appliances over there. In Ottawa you can only get the new ones (euro style) at Universal and Corbeil.
Old 2010-01-21, 11:50 PM
Regular User

BTW...I've never had any issues with warranties. As long as they sold the items in both Canada and the US the manufacturers just fixed what ever it was.