Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2010-03-19, 02:27 PM
Regular User

CapitalBoo I feel your pain. Unfortunately the only one that may lose is you.

The prices of homes are going up, up and away.

We were going to wait and see, however, after the meeting and after looking around we thought it wise to move on and look into other homes.

If your closing date comes and the PA expires you are looking at even higher prices for new homes than todays prices.
Old 2010-03-19, 02:38 PM
Regular User

With this kind of attitude and treatement towards its customers, will Mattamy really be willing to honour your original price even if phase 5 is allowed to proceed? Yes, phase 5 will be built eventually; however,look at what options you have at current situation,especially the price you will get from HMB (after discount,its price is even higher than other builders regardless of its poor house quaulity and features), I am sure you won't be happy either to the new offer Mattamy gives you once phase 5 continues. Let alone mattamy could easilly delay the whole project to let your contract die on purpose even if they could build your home within the timeframe in your contract.

Last edited by Ottawa2011; 2010-03-19 at 02:44 PM.
Old 2010-03-19, 02:44 PM
Regular User

CapitalBoo. I can see how you would want to wait it out.... Its sick to think about being held hostage as you have been. Luckily your in a position that you can wait.. luckily your new homes price is fixed and your current home if in ottawa is going up in value... I personally would have been screwed. We sold in kemptville and rented for a year waiting for our HMB home... if we had been delayed i would have been sick to my stomach thinking about the lost money we could have made holding on to our kemptville home as the prices out there 2 years later have gone right up!!

I had heard MAttamy was offering same home relocated to HMB?? would this be a good option? are the home values in HMB more then kanata?

Good luck.....

Last edited by TKG26; 2010-03-19 at 02:47 PM.
Old 2010-03-19, 02:49 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. D View Post
The prices of homes are going up, up and away.
We already have our contingency plan in place, which is to build up, up, and away onto our Fairwinds Phase 1 home much like they do in Manhattan

All kidding aside, we are aware of the risk of waiting, and have decided we will stay put if the PA dies. Barrhaven is not an option and there aren't any other new developments in Stittsville that meet our needs at this moment...

As an aside does anyone know how to get a hold of Peter Gilgan? Frank indicated that this has been an unprecedented delay never seen before in the history of Mattamy Homes as a Builder. That is a very large statement from Canada's Largest builder so I am curious as to what the Presidents take is on the whole situation

CB
Old 2010-03-19, 02:58 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBoo View Post
PS : Yeah yeah I know, just grab my money and walk, it's not worth it, but why should everyone win but the little guy?
Wow...never saw this one coming! {sarcasm}

This is a situation where the little guy has no chance of winning. None.

That's the thing about those new purchase agreements and amendments that you signed. They are full of "outs" for the builder. There is a 0.00000001% chance (never say never) that your house will ever be built at the price you paid.

Anyone who stays at this point really isn't too concerned about buying a new home and can do without it. If, by some miracle, you get your home then that's a bonus but when it falls apart you take your deposit back and shrug your shoulders and stay where you are or buy another place at 2013 prices.

There's being reasonable and hoping and then there's being in major denial.
Old 2010-03-19, 03:25 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKG26 View Post
I had heard MAttamy was offering same home relocated to HMB?? would this be a good option? are the home values in HMB more then kanata?
The options presented on March 9, 2010 were:
1) Release from your PA and get your deposit back (without any interest I might add)

2) *Transfer* to HMB with a $20K reduction on the current list price at HMB, plus $10K Design Credit, plus the option to choose from a lot in HMB Phase 6 prior to release on March 26.

I use the term *transfer* loosely since really it's a whole new agreement with just those added incentives for bargaining, the one condition was that the lot had to be the same. ie. you could not go from a 43" lot down to a 36", 34" or a Townhome.

For some HMB was/is an option and the incentives were designed to be just within reach, for others, especially those who purchased back in 2008 it was simply just not financially viable at the market rates today.

Mattamy removed Fairwinds pricing from their site in February when they closed the sales office, I can tell you that the difference in our PA base price (ie. no lot premium or upgrades) compared to what the last known base list price was at HMB is $84K. HMB has always been roughly $20K higher then the equivalent Fairwinds model, which is probably where they got the $20K chop off the top from.

I'd wager that on March 26, when HMB Phase 6 is released the base price on our model will be even higher. (If anyone has a recent HMB Price List PM me)

CB

Last edited by CapitalBoo; 2010-03-19 at 03:29 PM. Reason: HMB Pricing is back up, it wasn't a few days ago
Old 2010-03-19, 11:21 PM
Regular User

Quote:
The options presented on March 9, 2010 were:
1) Release from your PA and get your deposit back (without any interest I might add)
well, they would give you interest if the rates were higher. They are (I believe) to give you 2% interest (through Tarion or something), but since interest rates are 1.5%, you would owe them 0.5% . Or so we were told when we released...
Old 2010-03-20, 01:02 PM
Administrator

The little guy may not win, but the big guy isn't entirely winning either.. They now have a large piece of land that they have to sit on until it can be properly developed. They are paying taxes on that and will most likely have to renogotiate the contracts for development and trades whenever the land is ready to go.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2010-03-20, 01:51 PM
Regular User

Default Haha! Good Luck!

Quote:
As an aside does anyone know how to get a hold of Peter Gilgan?
I asked for his contact info in one of my Better Business Bureau complaints. I was given his personal assistant's email address and after sending an email, I got an out of office reply promising an answer to all emails by a certain date. Long after that date came and went I sent another email and it "bounced." Go figure! I'm sure someone got in trouble for allowing a lowly paying customer to "get so close."
Old 2010-03-20, 02:02 PM
Regular User

I feel for you guys. Best of luck!