Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 2010-03-19, 02:27 PM
Mr. D's Avatar
Mr. D Mr. D is offline
Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Jackson Trails
Posts: 92
Default

CapitalBoo I feel your pain. Unfortunately the only one that may lose is you.

The prices of homes are going up, up and away.

We were going to wait and see, however, after the meeting and after looking around we thought it wise to move on and look into other homes.

If your closing date comes and the PA expires you are looking at even higher prices for new homes than todays prices.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 2010-03-19, 02:38 PM
Ottawa2011 Ottawa2011 is offline
Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 42
Default

With this kind of attitude and treatement towards its customers, will Mattamy really be willing to honour your original price even if phase 5 is allowed to proceed? Yes, phase 5 will be built eventually; however,look at what options you have at current situation,especially the price you will get from HMB (after discount,its price is even higher than other builders regardless of its poor house quaulity and features), I am sure you won't be happy either to the new offer Mattamy gives you once phase 5 continues. Let alone mattamy could easilly delay the whole project to let your contract die on purpose even if they could build your home within the timeframe in your contract.

Last edited by Ottawa2011; 2010-03-19 at 02:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 2010-03-19, 02:44 PM
TKG26 TKG26 is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: HMB
Posts: 1,860
Default

CapitalBoo. I can see how you would want to wait it out.... Its sick to think about being held hostage as you have been. Luckily your in a position that you can wait.. luckily your new homes price is fixed and your current home if in ottawa is going up in value... I personally would have been screwed. We sold in kemptville and rented for a year waiting for our HMB home... if we had been delayed i would have been sick to my stomach thinking about the lost money we could have made holding on to our kemptville home as the prices out there 2 years later have gone right up!!

I had heard MAttamy was offering same home relocated to HMB?? would this be a good option? are the home values in HMB more then kanata?

Good luck.....

Last edited by TKG26; 2010-03-19 at 02:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 2010-03-19, 02:49 PM
CapitalBoo CapitalBoo is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 231
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. D View Post
The prices of homes are going up, up and away.
We already have our contingency plan in place, which is to build up, up, and away onto our Fairwinds Phase 1 home much like they do in Manhattan

All kidding aside, we are aware of the risk of waiting, and have decided we will stay put if the PA dies. Barrhaven is not an option and there aren't any other new developments in Stittsville that meet our needs at this moment...

As an aside does anyone know how to get a hold of Peter Gilgan? Frank indicated that this has been an unprecedented delay never seen before in the history of Mattamy Homes as a Builder. That is a very large statement from Canada's Largest builder so I am curious as to what the Presidents take is on the whole situation

CB
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 2010-03-19, 02:58 PM
New Orleans New Orleans is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Notting Hill South
Posts: 655
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBoo View Post
PS : Yeah yeah I know, just grab my money and walk, it's not worth it, but why should everyone win but the little guy?
Wow...never saw this one coming! {sarcasm}

This is a situation where the little guy has no chance of winning. None.

That's the thing about those new purchase agreements and amendments that you signed. They are full of "outs" for the builder. There is a 0.00000001% chance (never say never) that your house will ever be built at the price you paid.

Anyone who stays at this point really isn't too concerned about buying a new home and can do without it. If, by some miracle, you get your home then that's a bonus but when it falls apart you take your deposit back and shrug your shoulders and stay where you are or buy another place at 2013 prices.

There's being reasonable and hoping and then there's being in major denial.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 2010-03-19, 03:25 PM
CapitalBoo CapitalBoo is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 231
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKG26 View Post
I had heard MAttamy was offering same home relocated to HMB?? would this be a good option? are the home values in HMB more then kanata?
The options presented on March 9, 2010 were:
1) Release from your PA and get your deposit back (without any interest I might add)

2) *Transfer* to HMB with a $20K reduction on the current list price at HMB, plus $10K Design Credit, plus the option to choose from a lot in HMB Phase 6 prior to release on March 26.

I use the term *transfer* loosely since really it's a whole new agreement with just those added incentives for bargaining, the one condition was that the lot had to be the same. ie. you could not go from a 43" lot down to a 36", 34" or a Townhome.

For some HMB was/is an option and the incentives were designed to be just within reach, for others, especially those who purchased back in 2008 it was simply just not financially viable at the market rates today.

Mattamy removed Fairwinds pricing from their site in February when they closed the sales office, I can tell you that the difference in our PA base price (ie. no lot premium or upgrades) compared to what the last known base list price was at HMB is $84K. HMB has always been roughly $20K higher then the equivalent Fairwinds model, which is probably where they got the $20K chop off the top from.

I'd wager that on March 26, when HMB Phase 6 is released the base price on our model will be even higher. (If anyone has a recent HMB Price List PM me)

CB

Last edited by CapitalBoo; 2010-03-19 at 03:29 PM. Reason: HMB Pricing is back up, it wasn't a few days ago
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 2010-03-19, 11:21 PM
Cosmogrrl Cosmogrrl is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBoo View Post
The options presented on March 9, 2010 were:
1) Release from your PA and get your deposit back (without any interest I might add)
well, they would give you interest if the rates were higher. They are (I believe) to give you 2% interest (through Tarion or something), but since interest rates are 1.5%, you would owe them 0.5% . Or so we were told when we released...
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 2010-03-20, 01:02 PM
GregS's Avatar
GregS GregS is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,193
Default

The little guy may not win, but the big guy isn't entirely winning either.. They now have a large piece of land that they have to sit on until it can be properly developed. They are paying taxes on that and will most likely have to renogotiate the contracts for development and trades whenever the land is ready to go.
__________________
--
We do everything for
Audio - Video - Data - Security
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 2010-03-20, 01:51 PM
4sail 4sail is offline
Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 69
Default Haha! Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBoo View Post
As an aside does anyone know how to get a hold of Peter Gilgan?
I asked for his contact info in one of my Better Business Bureau complaints. I was given his personal assistant's email address and after sending an email, I got an out of office reply promising an answer to all emails by a certain date. Long after that date came and went I sent another email and it "bounced." Go figure! I'm sure someone got in trouble for allowing a lowly paying customer to "get so close."
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 2010-03-20, 02:02 PM
Fingers Fingers is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 1,133
Default

I feel for you guys. Best of luck!
__________________


Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
delay, fairwinds, kanata, mattamy, phase5

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
sorry! My inbox is now NOT full... noordinaryotter Ottawa 0 2010-01-29 02:18 PM
Is it normal that it takes a full minute to get warm water after I open the faucet? HappyLife Ottawa 19 2009-08-28 09:36 AM
Calculating Full Lot Size john55 Building and Construction 1 2009-07-22 10:10 PM
Melnyk plans "entertainment village" for kanata west Mike83 Ottawa 22 2009-02-18 09:40 PM
Kanata West put on hold.... BiggieG Ottawa 33 2008-02-07 12:43 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:19 PM.



Copyright © PHAND Corporation
This document may not be used elsewhere without the expressed written consent of PHAND Corporation.
*** There is no association between this website and any builder. ***

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.