Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Markham / Thornhill / Vaughan

Markham / Thornhill / Vaughan Arista, Aspen Ridge, Avant, Ballantry, BurOak, Sierra Homes, CastleSquare, H&R, Lakeview, Cathedraltown, Mattamy, Country Wide, Starlane, Esquire Homes, Fieldgate, Forest Hill, Royal Park Homes, Great West, Greenpark, Kylemore, Remington Homes, Silver Valley, Laurier, Madison, Monarch, Liberty, Rosehaven, Sky Homes, Touchstone, Kylemore

Old 2010-03-30, 10:07 PM

Default Greenpark Mackenzie Chase

I just purchased a Greenpark detached home in the Mackenzie Chase area (Dufferin & Major Mackenzie), approx. 2700 sq ft. I was wondering if anyone has visited the Decor Centre yet and if they have any idea what the upgrade costs are like? I hear that they do not give you pricing for the upgrades upfront - so I'm worried that for a similar model house, they can price the upgrades differently. Also, they are giving me $15,000 in free upgrades; however, could this mean that they may price my upgrades more than someone else who did not get this $15K?

If anyone has any idea of what the following upgrades cost, I'd greatly appreciate the information! Thank you in advance!
- 3 1/4" dark hardwood flooring on main floor
- staining of the staircase
- upgrade to berber carpet on upper floor
- potlights
- upgrading upstairs bathroom tiles to 12"x12"
- frameless shower stall
- extended height kitchen cabinets
- valence lighting in kitchen
- upgraded kitchen hardware
- upgrading electrical box to 200amp
- gas line for stove
- granite countertop in kitchen with undermount sink
- granite countertops in bathrooms
- "upgrade 2" kitchen cabinets
- stair runner
- adding more cable and telephone jacks
- upgraded door knobs
- decora switches throughout

Last edited by doidoi77; 2010-03-30 at 10:18 PM.
Old 2010-03-31, 05:37 AM
Regular User

If you look at this thread I posted the upgrade prices I got from Greenpark at the end of last summer/fall. Though, my house is just over 2000 Sq Ft and in Stouffville so less expensive than yours. I had $10K in upgrade $$. So your prices will likely be higher but it will give you an idea. Indeed, some of us neighbours got some different prices for the same thing. It was frustrating. Oh, and you will have to have a LOT of patience because they take FOREVER to get back to you with pricing.

http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...=10895&page=10

As for things like potlights, countertops, hardwood, decora switches and door handles etc. I would do that afterwards if I were you. It is way too expensive through the builder and a waste of your money. As well, I am of the opinion that if you have your floors done afterwards you have more control as you can be present during the installation, you talk to the installers, choose the company, can assess the state of your subfloors etc.

For the countertops, Greenpark only uses Quarella quartz, and obtain their granite from the same conpany. I have found their selection limited and there is a LOT more selection if you do it on your own after closing. Not to mention that it is less expensive.

Good luck and Congrats!
Old 2010-03-31, 10:53 AM

Thanks so much for the info. By the way, will they give you pricing on a multiple selection of flooring (e.g. hardwood, upgraded laminate, etc.) for the same space - or are you obligated to only choose one for the price quote? Also, do you think it is a good idea to ask for quotes for every upgrade that you are thinking of - ie even ones that you mostly likely won't be getting?
Old 2010-03-31, 10:02 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by doidoi77 View Post
Thanks so much for the info. By the way, will they give you pricing on a multiple selection of flooring (e.g. hardwood, upgraded laminate, etc.) for the same space - or are you obligated to only choose one for the price quote? Also, do you think it is a good idea to ask for quotes for every upgrade that you are thinking of - ie even ones that you mostly likely won't be getting?
I am sure they will give you pricing for more than one type of flooring i.e. maple, oak, laminate etc., but I would not suggest asking for too many either. Same goes for the rest of your pricing but the best thing is to go browse on a few Saturdays and make yourself familiar with what they have and what you like. This will help you decide what is important for you to upgrade and narrow down your list, i.e. you may decide tiles are important for you to upgrade etc. I am not sure if this is your first time but you will see that they have upgrade #s and the higher the #, the more money it will be. The best is to only upgrade through them the things that really matter to you and that can't be easily done after i.e. tiles, stairs + staining, cabinets, stuff like that. You will see how expensive it is and likely reach the same conclusion yourself.

As you could see from my list I asked a lot, but be careful not to overdo it so they don't start limiting you. You don't want them to think you are wasting their time either. What I found frustrating was browsing and seeing the upgrade # and having no idea what it meant in terms of $$. I mean I could fall in love with something but not know if it was too far out of my budget. I really wish they gave us a pricelist like other builders or a per SqFt price or something like that.

I would advise choosing a floor from the companies that they have even if you have it done on your own after closing. That way the stain on your stairs will match your floors.
Old 2010-03-31, 10:22 PM
Regular User

What street did you buy on? I'm with RP but we could still be neighbours
Old 2010-04-03, 10:19 PM
Regular User

hi, i bought from greenpark at muret cr., which street are you?
Old 2010-04-05, 12:14 PM

i'm on muret cres too!
Old 2010-04-05, 08:26 PM
Regular User

Smile

We are neighbours then , my lot # is 74 which lot you bought? did you buy Glenmore or Westbury?
Old 2010-04-05, 09:38 PM
Regular User

Just up the street on Riverhill drive.
Old 2010-04-05, 10:03 PM
Regular User

Greenpark sold out temporarily, how about RP?
Greenpark's prices went up significantly (60 K) since we bought on preview day.