Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2010-06-01, 10:27 AM
Regular User

I am not a fans of laminate, I think it is even worse than carpet. (personal option)

If you are living in Condo and you plan to hire someone to do the installation for you. I suggest you to get a better quality hardwood instead.
Old 2010-06-01, 02:49 PM
Regular User

I also wouldn't do laminate (unless the room is a basement). I honestly think it reduces the value of a property.

92% of buyers prefer or want hardwood in their homes, that's a pretty big incentive to install that above anything else.
Old 2010-06-01, 04:42 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2philip View Post
I also wouldn't do laminate (unless the room is a basement). I honestly think it reduces the value of a property.

92% of buyers prefer or want hardwood in their homes, that's a pretty big incentive to install that above anything else.
We should probably qualify that with "at this time" buyers prefer hardwood. Fifteen years ago hardwood wasn't as in demand and if you go back a bit further people were covering hardwood with carpet. No one really knows what people will like 15 years from now. Hardwood may still be the "in" thing but the colors you choose now may not be in fashion. Maybe hardwood will not be in demand at all. Who knows.

If you are considering selling in the next year or two though, then hardwood is the way to go. Either solid hardwood or a good engineered hardwood. Stay away from laminates simply because they look like laminates. Buyers will not pay extra for laminate flooring and I agree with what the others have said, I would rather have good carpet than laminate in my home.

If you are not going to be selling for quite a while then get whatever you like the most. As I said, who knows what will be in demand down the road and there is no use spending more money than you have to today when you don't know if you will get any benefit down the road.
Old 2010-06-01, 04:47 PM
Regular User

What I've found is that there's a small and somewhat specific market for those who like laminate. Seems like those who see it instead of hardwood will usually ask why not hardwood. As opposed to those who see carpet and just think that they will replace it with hardwood later (at least, that's the plan).
What I see interesting is that builders don't offer laminate as standard for floor on main/2nd level (never asked about basement). It's either carpet or hardwood.
Old 2010-06-02, 10:01 AM
Regular User

I've heard a lot about bamboo flooring lately - does anyone know what the pluses (or negatives) of bamboo are, vs. regular hardwood?
Old 2010-06-02, 11:18 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhomejen View Post
I've heard a lot about bamboo flooring lately - does anyone know what the pluses (or negatives) of bamboo are, vs. regular hardwood?
Environmentally friendly, grow fast, rugged and look good
Old 2010-06-03, 01:14 PM
Regular User

Next question (and hopefully my last on this topic...). There are so many flooring stores in Ottawa. Any recommendations on where to start?