Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2010-06-17, 03:32 AM

Smile Any advice on buying Claridge Home at Hunt Club site?

Me and my fiance we are about to purchase the Stirling home from Claridge at the Hunt Club location, our closing date will be in March of 2011. We're going this Saturday to make our deposits and sign our contract, negotiate...

So I wanted to know if you guys had any advice, insight into what can be negotiated, what we should ask...For me this is my first home purchase but my fiance had purchased a Claridge home before but he was the second home owner at the time so being first home owners is a new experience for both of us.

We love the location and though the prices are good 40 thousand more than their Orleans or Sundance location we thought it would be worth it with the earlier closing and the convenience of the location.
Old 2010-06-17, 10:17 AM
Regular User

I found there prices a little higher then most builders for the square footage they offer. Check out Tamarack or Tartan at findlay Creek down a little on Bank St. Location was also very important to us, but was told by someone who did a little work on Hunt Club not to go there.
Old 2010-06-17, 10:23 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saikadelic View Post
Me and my fiance we are about to purchase the Stirling home from Claridge at the Hunt Club location, our closing date will be in March of 2011. We're going this Saturday to make our deposits and sign our contract, negotiate...

So I wanted to know if you guys had any advice, insight into what can be negotiated, what we should ask...For me this is my first home purchase but my fiance had purchased a Claridge home before but he was the second home owner at the time so being first home owners is a new experience for both of us.

We love the location and though the prices are good 40 thousand more than their Orleans or Sundance location we thought it would be worth it with the earlier closing and the convenience of the location.
Congratulations! I would do a lot of research about the lands around that area and the potential threats of severe flooding or shifting of the house.

I grew up in that neighbourhood, and used to drive by it every day to get to the Park and Ride. During the months of April and May, that place looked like a full-out pond with the amount of water that is there.

If the builder has addressed your concerns adequately about the land and your foundation, that's great.

As for the Stirling itself, I would see if it would be possible to ask the builder to move the "mechanical area" in the basement. It seems like it is in an odd space and wastes 1/2 your basement as it sits in the middle section of the basement.

As for negotiating with the builder, I am not sure how much Claridge would budge. Maybe someone who's bought in the area would be able to tell you more about that.
Old 2010-06-17, 07:21 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_ottawa View Post
Congratulations! I would do a lot of research about the lands around that area and the potential threats of severe flooding or shifting of the house.

I grew up in that neighbourhood, and used to drive by it every day to get to the Park and Ride. During the months of April and May, that place looked like a full-out pond with the amount of water that is there.

If the builder has addressed your concerns adequately about the land and your foundation, that's great.

As for the Stirling itself, I would see if it would be possible to ask the builder to move the "mechanical area" in the basement. It seems like it is in an odd space and wastes 1/2 your basement as it sits in the middle section of the basement.

As for negotiating with the builder, I am not sure how much Claridge would budge. Maybe someone who's bought in the area would be able to tell you more about that.
Please do your research!!! Our first home was in that area, and yes it was a Claridge and we had major foundation problems.
Old 2010-06-17, 08:01 PM
Regular User

Do you know there are rail roads come very close to the location, were there are building right now?
We wanted to build there, but then decided against it. You actually can smell them there.
Old 2010-06-17, 08:19 PM

Default Don't do it

I bought a townhome from Claridge in Hunt Club in 2002. The garages in our area actually moved away from the houses and there was major work to fix them. I also had three large cracks in the foundation, two on the outside which leaked.
Claridge was very difficult to deal with as well. Once they have your money, they're not interested in fixing your problems. The last item on my one year list was finally fixed 3 years after I took possession. It was also the same week I listed the house for sale!
Old 2010-06-17, 10:43 PM
Regular User

We bought a townhouse from Claridge last year and moved in over the winter/spring. Our advice - use a real estate agent. Ours got us quite a bit off the price after we had agreed on the upgrades we wanted. The agent still gets a commission from the builder - not from you, so it won't cost you anything. Claridge was NOT happy to have to deal with an agent, but we were so pleased with our decision in the end. So far, dealing with Claridge hasn't been too bad - they have responded relatively well. There have been a few issues, but they are mostly being addressed.
Old 2010-06-17, 10:46 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monquibot View Post
I bought a townhome from Claridge in Hunt Club in 2002. The garages in our area actually moved away from the houses and there was major work to fix them. I also had three large cracks in the foundation, two on the outside which leaked.
Claridge was very difficult to deal with as well. Once they have your money, they're not interested in fixing your problems. The last item on my one year list was finally fixed 3 years after I took possession. It was also the same week I listed the house for sale!
same here!!
Old 2010-06-18, 01:15 AM

hmmm ok will definitely look into getting a real estate agent and I'll have more questions for Claridge this weekend! I won't be so quick to hand over our money, let's see what they say and what the details are.

I did look at Tartan and Tamarack at Findley Creek but fet their Master bedrooms weren't nearly as big as we would like them to be but we'll give them second look-see.
Old 2010-06-18, 09:33 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saikadelic View Post
hmmm ok will definitely look into getting a real estate agent and I'll have more questions for Claridge this weekend! I won't be so quick to hand over our money, let's see what they say and what the details are.
They'll say whatever is needed for you to sign. Do your homework yourself, don't believe the builder. (note: This applies to all of them).

As for real estate agents...