Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2010-08-10, 12:58 PM
Regular User

I can see you wanting the 2nd floor pots on photocell. I'm surprised they didn't do that automatically or at least offer it. With regards to the front porch light, I'm glad its not on photocell as it already seems to be a call to moths and mosquitoes alike to party at my front door.
Old 2010-08-10, 08:20 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by twist View Post
With regards to the front porch light, I'm glad its not on photocell as it already seems to be a call to moths and mosquitoes alike to party at my front door.
So true and I prefer to be able to turn this light off because when you leave it on I find that more people ring your door bell.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2010-08-10, 08:46 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by twist View Post
I can see you wanting the 2nd floor pots on photocell. I'm surprised they didn't do that automatically or at least offer it. With regards to the front porch light, I'm glad its not on photocell as it already seems to be a call to moths and mosquitoes alike to party at my front door.
Couldn't agree more with the latter part of your post. They seem to be attracted to it like flies to you know what
Old 2010-08-10, 10:09 PM
Regular User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmogrrl View Post
Depends on your model. For the Beckwith, it's 3 total (2 over garage).
Thanks Cosmogrrl I don't know if I knew that there was 2 over the garage, plus we are adding 2 or 3 more for the 2 nd level.
Old 2010-08-11, 06:35 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
So true and I prefer to be able to turn this light off because when you leave it on I find that more people ring your door bell.
On the other hand, it seems like there's always someone home..
Old 2010-08-11, 12:53 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart242 View Post
On the other hand, it seems like there's always someone home..
I find with the light on, they ring the doorbell and if I don't answer, they knock which I find really annoying.

One time, I asked the guy to clean off the hand print he left. He definetley wasn't expecting this as he couldn't make it through his sales pitch being all flustered and I kept looking at my door to make sure it was clean.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2010-08-11, 01:05 PM
Regular User

Can I ask a question about outdoor pot lights? What is the point of 2nd floor pot lights? I know they make the house look really nice, but don't people like their house dark when they sleep? Isn't it a constant glare on your windows? We have a street light in front of our house and I love it when it's not working. It doesn't aim at the house or even offer that much light, but the dull glow outside my window is irritating. Wouldn't the pot lights be the same?

Just a question, not a shot at anyone who likes pot lights.

Old 2010-08-11, 01:14 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodmeister7 View Post
Can I ask a question about outdoor pot lights? What is the point of 2nd floor pot lights? I know they make the house look really nice, but don't people like their house dark when they sleep? Isn't it a constant glare on your windows? We have a street light in front of our house and I love it when it's not working. It doesn't aim at the house or even offer that much light, but the dull glow outside my window is irritating. Wouldn't the pot lights be the same?

For me, it was purely for looks.

I envision that I'd have the blinds closed when I sleep. If my dear fiancée decides on other window treatments that don't completely block out the light, I'll probably just shut the potlights off before I go to bed.
Old 2010-08-11, 01:25 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodmeister7 View Post

Why not treat the street light as a free night lamp.
Old 2010-08-11, 01:26 PM
Regular User

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by minto_home View Post
Why not treat the street light as a free night lamp.
That's kinda what we do now, but sadly it has been burned out for about 4 months now but I'm not complaining.

We have horizontal blinds that are dark for the most part but sometimes light still sneaks in through the cracks.