Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2010-08-17, 05:58 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
To the OP, do you have your furniture yet?

I found it difficult to select the stain/colour of my wooden furniture because the choices available were similar to my hardwood flooring. If I had gone with a lighter floor colour, my TV stand and coffee table probably wouldn't clash so much with my flooring.
no we dont have our furniture yet so i guess it doesnt really matter
Old 2010-08-17, 08:17 PM
Regular User

We have closed our home and have Vintage Godiva. It is a beautiful floor but as others have said, difficult to keep clean. If that bothers you, stay away, if not--go for it!!
Old 2010-08-25, 01:24 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARKMAN1 View Post
Anything but Vintage. Their product is nice but it does not hold up to normal wear and tear, i have it and it looks horrible as the finish is peeling....oh and Vintage isn't going to honor their warranty on it either, we already called them.
Vintage finish does not peel from normal wear unless there has been water damage or the floors are improperly cleaned (too wet)! If your warranty claim was denied, there must have been a reason.

We have been installing Vintage since they came on the market over 10 years ago. We had Vintage in our previous house that was installed back in 2000 & to this day, looks the same, no peeling whatsoever!!!

To OP, go with Godiva. Rembrandt is also nice but has a bit more red undertone, so if you prefer a more brown colour, Godiva is great. Have you seen Taboo? Nice dark espresso colour
Old 2010-08-25, 07:25 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrob View Post
Vintage finish does not peel from normal wear unless there has been water damage or the floors are improperly cleaned (too wet)! If your warranty claim was denied, there must have been a reason.

We have been installing Vintage since they came on the market over 10 years ago. We had Vintage in our previous house that was installed back in 2000 & to this day, looks the same, no peeling whatsoever!!!

To OP, go with Godiva. Rembrandt is also nice but has a bit more red undertone, so if you prefer a more brown colour, Godiva is great. Have you seen Taboo? Nice dark espresso colour
No water damage, and we only ever cleaned it the way the store told us with the stores products. We the Vintage rep came to our house he was also at a lost for why it looked the way it did, then denied our claim. He said he's only seen something like this once before in his 25 years of experience.

He told us to call the Hardwood Flooring Association and have one of their experts come and see it. If they (HFA) felt it was a warantee issue then Vintage would fix it. Oh and of course HFA would be at our cost. We've decided to sand and restain them instead as we are moving next year anyways.

But..I'll tell my story to everyone and I've already stopped at least 3 families from buy from the store that sold and installed ours, because they didn't come to see our floors depite numerous requests, in the end I had to call Vintage directly. Word of mouth is so important these days, 3 X 10K is a lot of business to lose!!!
Old 2010-08-25, 04:47 PM
Regular User

Quote:

I actually just saw Taboo and I really like it. But I'm not sure if they have it at the design center at Tamarack. If they do then I think I'm gonna chose Taboo. And about the wear thing that you and Sharkman we're talking about, I don't think I really think I have a choice for which company I use because Tamarack only provides 3 or 4 companies.

Anyways,
Thanks
Old 2010-08-25, 05:44 PM
Regular User

They had Taboo not long ago...
Old 2010-08-25, 09:47 PM
Regular User

Lightbulb

Quote:
No water damage, and we only ever cleaned it the way the store told us with the stores products. We the Vintage rep came to our house he was also at a lost for why it looked the way it did, then denied our claim. He said he's only seen something like this once before in his 25 years of experience.

He told us to call the Hardwood Flooring Association and have one of their experts come and see it. If they (HFA) felt it was a warantee issue then Vintage would fix it. Oh and of course HFA would be at our cost. We've decided to sand and restain them instead as we are moving next year anyways.

But..I'll tell my story to everyone and I've already stopped at least 3 families from buy from the store that sold and installed ours, because they didn't come to see our floors depite numerous requests, in the end I had to call Vintage directly. Word of mouth is so important these days, 3 X 10K is a lot of business to lose!!!
If you are confident your case is so strong, then it is worth it to spend the money for the certified inspector because you would get your money back. Vintage will not walk away form a case that is a manufacturer defect. There must be a diff. reason. Except for water damage, the finish does not peel off. That's why manufacturers give you 25-30 years warranty because they are confident the finish will not peel off. After many inspections we went through of damaged floors, the main cause is always water/liquid!!! And also mopping the floors (too much water again). This will happen to any floor from any manufacturer & to let you know Vintage is one of the best.

Since you don't want to pursue this any further, I have a feeling you might be partially to blame. What's few hundred dollars more when you spent $10K on the floor, it's just a small fraction.

Last edited by patrob; 2010-08-25 at 10:08 PM. Reason: sp
Old 2010-08-26, 08:27 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Oh and of course HFA would be at our cost. We've decided to sand and restain them instead as we are moving next year anyways.
Is the cost of sanding and restaining them cheaper that having the HFA inspector come to check them out??
I'm the type of person that will fight to the *bitter* end if I know my case is strong enough
Old 2010-08-26, 10:21 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmogrrl View Post
Is the cost of sanding and restaining them cheaper that having the HFA inspector come to check them out??
I'm the type of person that will fight to the *bitter* end if I know my case is strong enough
Cost of re-finishing will be much more than cost of certified HFA inspector. Based on SHARKMAN1's post in the hardwood thread, there is 600 sq. ft. to re-sand.
That's a min. cost of $1,600 or more vs. few hundred dollars for the inspector. If it really is a manufacturing defect, the entire cost for the HFA inspector would be
refunded as part of the warranty claim.
Old 2010-08-26, 07:32 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Cost of re-finishing will be much more than cost of certified HFA inspector. Based on SHARKMAN1's post in the hardwood thread, there is 600 sq. ft. to re-sand.
That's a min. cost of $1,600 or more vs. few hundred dollars for the inspector. If it really is a manufacturing defect, the entire cost for the HFA inspector would be
refunded as part of the warranty claim.
Do you know were I could find a HFA Inspector, I had search online but didn't really find what I thought I was looking for.

I'm also the type to fight until the bitter end but my hubby isn't. He doesn't care to much about money so to him my time and sanity isn't worth $1500.00 (a little less than 600 sq ft). Vantage told us an inpector would cost about 300.00 so in the end we'd only be out $1200.00....and have no more scrathes too...I've spent that on a night out!! lol

For pete's sakes I told my hubby I wanted to change the ceramic's in the house and add some to our kitchen...instead...we bought a new house, he said he couldn't be bothered with the work adn mess. lol so....new house for me!!!