Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2010-09-09, 04:54 PM
Regular User

What's a connected single?
Old 2010-09-09, 04:58 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerapau View Post
I see from another post of yours that you are building a silverbell. I think that you will find that that model is very similar to Monarch's Mahogany model.
You're right, they are close, but the Monarch home is on a 50' lot and looks much more spacious. I also find the floor plans easier to read - Tartan just seems to have jumbled layouts and interesting choice of text in their PDF files.

I'm just nitpicking, as both bungalows are nice, but given the choice, I'd spend the $495k on the Monarch vs. the $435k Tartan.
Old 2010-09-09, 05:36 PM
Regular User

Quote:
What's a connected single?
A connected single is sort of between a town and a single - it's 3 homes connected only by the garage (so no shared walls on the second floor)
Old 2010-09-09, 07:29 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natasha View Post
The base price of Monarch's Mahogany is close to 500K! Wow! It makes me pretty happy with my Silverbell. Plus Findlay Creek is much more desirable area for us. I still think my house will be a very nice one.
I'm sure your home will be beautiful. As I already mentioned, we lived in a Tartan home, a bungalow also, for 16 years and have no regrets. It was well built and we had absolutely no problems. It was just starting to get a bit small for us.
Old 2010-09-09, 09:02 PM
Regular User

Another satisfied Tartan customer here. We moved into our semi in late June and have been very pleased with the process: during the build of the house and now dealing with after-sales service. There were a few hiccups along the way which I am sure could be expected of any builder.

We would definitely consider buying with them again.
Old 2010-09-09, 10:01 PM
Regular User

I built a home with Tartan earlier this year. It was a very enjoyable experience, and the girls at the sales office helped me get out of a REAL bad bind. I have nothing but good things to say about them.

The after sales service was pathetic though. The guy was fighting me on fixing everything (bulge in the countertop seam, potlights were not placed where they were supposed to be, as stipulated in the contract, stain mismatch between railings and hardwood, etc etc etc).

I would definitely buy again, hopefully next time i will luck into a foreman/site supervisor who cares about the finished product and customer satisfaction.

Old 2010-09-09, 10:41 PM
Regular User

We've purchased our second Tartan home in Findlay Creek. We are currently in a semi and have purchased a single. We have been very pleased with our current home and expect to be just as happy in our new home.

As mentioned, after sales service is a bit of a pain, but things will eventually get fixed if you keep after them.

I have previously purchased from Claridge as well. Tartan is far better according to my experience.
Old 2010-09-10, 11:19 AM
Regular User

This is great feedback, thanks! Honestly compared to the comments I've seen about other builders, this is practically a rave review!

I am looking in Findlay Creek (for lack of a better choice, unfortunately) but when I visited the models in SohoWest was loving the amenities right around the corner - Superstore, Goodlife, and Starbucks, oh my! I wish FC had those (I'm very disappointed about the Food Basics thing).

For those of you in FC - what's the commute to downtown like? Do you have buses running through the neighbourhood yet, or do you have to get yourself out to Bank St. or to the park/ride at Greenboro?
Old 2010-09-10, 01:13 PM
Regular User

Default FC Commute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyR View Post
This is great feedback, thanks! Honestly compared to the comments I've seen about other builders, this is practically a rave review!

I am looking in Findlay Creek (for lack of a better choice, unfortunately) but when I visited the models in SohoWest was loving the amenities right around the corner - Superstore, Goodlife, and Starbucks, oh my! I wish FC had those (I'm very disappointed about the Food Basics thing).

For those of you in FC - what's the commute to downtown like? Do you have buses running through the neighbourhood yet, or do you have to get yourself out to Bank St. or to the park/ride at Greenboro?
We live in FC now and are moving to Jackson Trails. Went that way for a bigger lot and a little touch of country in the city.

The commute from FC to Hull is generally ok, but timing is everything. I (the husband of the duo) posted a good overview here:

http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...ommute+findlay

I've tested the drive to JT from Hull during rush hour this week and I'm happy that the ride was about 35 mins. as opposed to my 45 mins. to FC around rush hour. Bottle necks all the way south vs. heavy traffic and lots of lanes going West.

Can't comment on buses other than them trying to run over me while I get out of my car when parking on Kelly Farm!

Old 2010-09-10, 01:14 PM
Regular User

Nice to see the positives reviews!

We are considering moving to Jackson Trails, and so far I am very impressed with Tartan!

I am also considering the connected singles, but am slightly worried about resale and how far it is from the 417.