Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2010-09-24, 11:00 PM
Regular User

Question ottawa yard bylaws?

We're planning our front yard landscaping now that we've been in over a year.

As I was contemplating, I recalled that I once heard or read that there are rules about what you can do with your front yard according to bylaw.

Does anyone have more information about this, or know where I can find more information?

Soho West - Kanata

Uh...make that Trailwest...
Old 2010-09-25, 06:56 AM
Regular User

Default Fences and drivewavs

Can't be sure about everything, but there are some bylaws about restrictions on the height of any fences in the front, as well as what percentage can be paved. Might also some about maintaining your yard, but I'm guessing that's not going to be an issue!

Old 2010-09-25, 09:01 AM
Regular User

there is normally an city easement of at least 3 metres across the front of your property. Any work you do there could legally be pulled up by the city without restitution if work was required (although, in a new housing development, this would seem unlikely).
Old 2010-09-25, 02:05 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by everbell View Post
there is normally an city easement of at least 3 metres across the front of your property. Any work you do there could legally be pulled up by the city without restitution if work was required (although, in a new housing development, this would seem unlikely).
I think that's half my front yard, lol.

Soho West - Kanata

Old 2010-09-25, 02:07 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCspecial View Post
Can't be sure about everything, but there are some bylaws about restrictions on the height of any fences in the front, as well as what percentage can be paved. Might also some about maintaining your yard, but I'm guessing that's not going to be an issue!
I'll have to look into this. We're have someone come give us a quote on interlock on Monday and I want to come up with a plan that is in line with bylaws. I hope the guy knows something about bylaw, but I know it's ultimately up to me to make sure my property complies. I have a very narrow and somewhat short front yard, but I want to widen my driveway with interlock as well as create some sort of retaining wall for a garden bed, and possibly alter our entry walkway dimensions.

Soho West - Kanata

Old 2010-09-25, 05:32 PM
Regular User

Call 3-1-1 or go to a city service centre. They can explain everything in detail.

Interlock driveways and sidewalks are put on city property. Raised flower beds are often there also.

Keep in mind that anything there could be dug up.

Also avoid structure encroaching on utility easements.