Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2010-11-16, 10:28 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrayCat View Post

My cat barfed on the basement carpet 3 times since we moved in and so did my daughter the first weekend we were here and I cannot get the stains out completely!
I seriously had to laugh at this - maybe its the way its written?! I don't know
Your house seems to be quite similar to how ours will be - do you have pics or a progress thread?
Old 2010-11-16, 10:51 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
If you do the soffit plug, have them add a switch on the inside of the house so that you can turn your Christmas lights on and off at your leisure.
On our upgrade list, it does say "Soffit plug w/ switch", so his might have that too.

First closing date: June 30, 2011.
Old 2010-11-17, 07:19 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume View Post
On our upgrade list, it does say "Soffit plug w/ switch", so his might have that too.
I had the soffit plug with switch at our last home and we never used it. Having to remember to turn off the lights before you go to bed is a pain. We prefer using automatic timers and having that thing plugged in the soffit looks stupid.

We just did a layout of where our lights would be and put in an extra exterior plug where ever we thought we'd need it.
Old 2010-11-17, 08:37 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2philip View Post
I had the soffit plug with switch at our last home and we never used it. Having to remember to turn off the lights before you go to bed is a pain. We prefer using automatic timers and having that thing plugged in the soffit looks stupid.

We just did a layout of where our lights would be and put in an extra exterior plug where ever we thought we'd need it.
On your previous house, did the soffit plug look like an indoor plug? My current neighbour has a soffit plug and I found it surprising that it doesn't look like the one by the front door.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2010-11-17, 01:09 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmogrrl View Post
I seriously had to laugh at this - maybe its the way its written?! I don't know
Your house seems to be quite similar to how ours will be - do you have pics or a progress thread?

Hi Cosmogrrl,

It is indeed funny after the fact ....and anyway, I have a baby on the way so I might as well accept that fact that this carpet will look like crap in the next 5 years and I will just have to change it once our newest addition is a little less messy.

I didn't have a progress thread but if you go to the link below you can see pics of my place on pages 55 and 64. Those on page 64 were taken upon moving in so it was very bare and there are still lots of things that need to be changed. My goal (eventually) is to change all main floor and basement furniture and of course add some accent decor (wallpaper, photo collage and such) all in keeping with a somewhat minimalist style. Funny thing is we are already discussing a bigger place...who knows what might happen in the next couple of years!

http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...+creek&page=64

Tartan Royal Edward
Findlay Creek
Closing: November 28th, 2013

Old 2010-11-17, 01:31 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by findlaycreek101 View Post
Thanks for the reply. We are very excited.
So these are a few questions that pop up in my mind. First off, how many pot lights did you get done in your home? Also should we get air conditioning and central vac from the builder or wait until we move in? Third question is if you got your alarm system from alarm bridge, do you think they're good and if not where would you recommend getting one. My last question is what are upgrades that you think are popular, and which upgrades do you find really important.

I appreciate your help!
Thanks
I think you will get general upgrade stuff on the forum and this thread. So i will just stick to Bradbury specific changes that I think would be a good idea. Some may sound trivial, but trust me they are not:

1. in the master bedroom, the light switch is located "behind the half door". This would be extremely annoying to have to walk into the bedroom, turn around, close the door, just to aceess the switch. We had it moved opposite the door, just left of the closet door. $0.00 - best $0 we ever spent

2. Kitchen walk-in pantry: if you plan on doing your own shelving or cabinets, request them not to install the wire shelves and leave in basement (for future use). $0.00

3. Kitchen: hard to tell you what to do. it's personal preference. we spent a lot of effort/upgrades on modifying the kitchen. Muskoka can show you designs of what they have done in other bradbury's if you ask.

4. Master Ensuite: the standard shower is 3x4. we enlarged it to 3x5. this eats into the guest bedroom closet. we also had to remove the toilet room door due to clearance issues, and then we made the wall into a half wall. this also makes the bathroom appear much large while still giving privacy to the toilet area. Note: we also tiled the shower and did a glass door. however we left the glass door off and did it afterwards (less $)

5. 9' ceiling in basement. expensive, but remember, you can never do this afterwards.

6. if you have a corner lot, add some basement windows. if you do not, you cannot add side windows.

7. laundry room - extend the cabinets over the sink/laundy machines. not expensive, but give lots more space

8. laundry room - the sink is in the middle of the counter. this gives you a little wasted space on left and right. move it to the far right, and you get usable counter space.

9. mudroom - we didn't do this, but another bradbury did. in the mudroom, move the closets to the back wall (i.e. backing the family room). we saw it after and it looks pretty good and makes the mudroom bigger. this may be structural though.

10. linen closet - we didn't do this, but the model has it (built after ours). moved the door into the laundry room. again, might be structural.

IF I THINK OF MORE, I'LL POST.
Old 2010-11-17, 02:02 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by findlaycreek01 View Post
5. 9' ceiling in basement. expensive, but remember, you can never do this afterwards.
I'm trying to imagine how huge having a finished basement would make the Bradbury...

You could have a family of 12.

First closing date: June 30, 2011.
Old 2010-11-17, 03:51 PM
Regular User

Default suggestion - side door

quick mental break...

If you decide to go with hardwood throughout the main, I would recommend three things for the mudroom.

1. put the closet or built in along the wall that backs out onto the family room.

2. add a side door if you can/are allowed to

3. tile out to the mudroom past the entrance of the powderroom.

if you get a pool or a hot tub, you will be thankful! also good for kids with snow boots coming from the back yard!

Old 2010-11-17, 06:50 PM
Regular User

thanks for all the great advice. i really appreciate it. i fell more confident going into our appointment and i am considering a lot of the great ideas. if you think of any think else please mention it.
Thanks!
Old 2010-11-17, 08:09 PM
Regular User

I forgot my BEST and most important upgrade of all: the SONOS system!! I will never do without it...so far I only have it on the main floor (cost me $1400 and that included the system, the in-ceiling speakers and a free iPod Touch 3G) but I will be adding it to the nursery and my daughtger's room asap and next will be the master bedroom/ensuite....

Tartan Royal Edward
Findlay Creek
Closing: November 28th, 2013