Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2010-12-15, 10:24 AM
Regular User

Default Question about Mattamy Townhomes

Does anyone know anything about the Mattamy townhomes that are located beside (to the west) the Home Depot in Barrhaven? They look quite nice, and I've noticed that there are usually a few for sale at any given time. A friend of mine was asking me about them as a possibility for a first home for herself. Are these homes of good quality? Do you hear a lot of noise from neighbouring units? Is there anything that I should mention to my friend to be aware of?

For that matter, what about the new Phoenix townhomes in Barrhaven - I think they're calling it Strandherd Meadows - in behind the Royal Oak? Same questions as above.

Thanks again everyone!

Last edited by newhomejen; 2010-12-15 at 10:26 AM.
Old 2010-12-15, 11:57 AM
Regular User

There's always a lot of Mattamy built homes up for sale. I don't know the real reason although I can guess based on how many threads there used to be on here about quality/service issues.

Be sure to search for any threads related to Mattamy.

I personally would not buy a Mattamy built home ever again.
Old 2010-12-15, 12:58 PM
Regular User

I just got an end-unit townhome and will be ready to move in soon. I cannot comment on the noise as I have not expereinced it myself.

In this forum i had posted several times on different issues that I have had. However, I must say that they were all resolved by Mattamy. Their design center staff is excellent and goes a long way to make sure you are happy. I have been also very pleased with my builder.

Currently, I do not have any issues with the build quality. All builders in Ottawa use te exact same material to construct the house. As far as I understand most workers are also contractors and will work for different builders. The builders that have higher standard options charge you more upfront than those that doesn't have a lot included. You will find that Mattamy does not include a lot as standards and I would say their home price is reasonable as well.

After I move in I will be able to comment on the after sales and build quaility better. But for now I am happy!
Old 2010-12-15, 02:24 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfdude View Post
There's always a lot of Mattamy built homes up for sale. I don't know the real reason although I can guess based on how many threads there used to be on here about quality/service issues.

Be sure to search for any threads related to Mattamy.

I personally would not buy a Mattamy built home ever again.
I disagree, it's probably because the demand for them and the price people are getting for them. HMB is a beautiful community and I know lots of people that would love to live there.

We will be putting Mattamy home up for sale next year and moving to another Mattay home. You can't even buy a nice town home for the price we paid for our single.

Old 2010-12-15, 02:33 PM
Regular User

I live in a Village Townhouse in HMB (which I LOVE) and I don't hear alot of noise from neighbors. I live in an end unit so I have someone beside me and someone behind me and the only real noise I hear is when they are vacuuming the adjoining room (i.e. living room to living room). But then I guess it all depends who your neighbors are...

Last edited by Shan1214; 2010-12-15 at 02:38 PM.
Old 2010-12-15, 06:30 PM
Regular User

good friend of mine lives in a 'home depot' townhouse - he backs onto the pond in the second block from strandherd

he had a few issues on his 30 day that were all dealt with properly

he has never mentioned any between unit noise issues - and he would have
Old 2010-12-16, 10:59 AM
Regular User

Thank you so much. This information is really helpful. Will have to check out an open house for one of these places soon to take a look inside. From the outside, they look super-nice (the ones beside the Home Depot in Barrhaven).
Old 2010-12-16, 11:34 AM
Regular User

We were looking at those before we settled on a new build and from the pictures, they look very nice from the inside as well. And it's a good location.

First closing date: June 30, 2011.
Old 2010-12-16, 05:19 PM
Regular User

I would buy Richcraft before Mattamy or Pheonix. You pay for what you get and I am not a fan of the plastic look of Mattamy. Looks like Barbie land I think in about 10-15 years it will look awefull. IMO
Old 2010-12-16, 06:06 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBOR View Post
I would buy Richcraft before Mattamy or Pheonix. You pay for what you get and I am not a fan of the plastic look of Mattamy. Looks like Barbie land I think in about 10-15 years it will look awefull. IMO
Plastic look? They use the same brick Monarch, Tartan, Tamarack, Minto, Urbandale, and every other builder does. What plastic look are you referring to?

But to each his own.

I don't like that most other builders don't have balconies or large porches like Mattamy does, but everyone has their own little ideas of what a home should have.