Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Halton Region > Milton

Milton For residents of and soon to be residents of Milton communities. Starlane, Century Grove, Beaverhall, Greenpark, Falconcrest, Tiffany Park Homes, Heathwood Homes, Country Homes, Harkin, North Star and more.

Old 2011-01-24, 03:05 PM
Regular User

SPW,

Thanks for the advice. When we went by the decor centre this weekend to pick up our price book. We picked out a few of the upgades that we wanted and wrote them down mostly for tier 2. One of which is the water line for the ice maker-good to know the water line is extra lol. I can't believe how fast things add up! I think right now we are at our max and that doesn't even include hardwood stairs or staining. As we went with a semi (the Randall) hardwood stairs didn't come with it. How long do they give you to finalize your choices?

Also, I was a bit confused with the payment schedule. For both tiers we pay upfront, but if you spend over $15,000 you can put half of it towards the purchase price? Is this correct? Also, where do the decor dollars fit in? Do they take that into account first before they start to charge you upfront? Sorry about all the questions!!!!
Old 2011-01-24, 06:37 PM
Regular User

The Baker - we also got the Randall though we luckily had the builder include the hardwood stairs and stain as part of our package as we bought just before the holidays. Are you keeping the half wall dividing the great room and family room? I believe they take the decor dollars into account, though I'm not 100% sure of this...
Old 2011-01-24, 08:01 PM
Regular User

Foxyjo - Oh wow, I wish i had known we can negotiate upgrades with the sales reps! MAN - i didn't get anything 'thrown in' Sucks. But that's fantastic for you - way to go!!!!!

As for decor dollars... they definitely take it into account at your Tier I appointment. The 'wish list' is essentially a spreadsheet and there are columns for Incentives and Discounts and this is where decor dollars are accounted for. I'm not sure about deferring a portion of the payment to Closing..sorry (it never came up). But as for paying upfront... I know i didn't have to do that (even thou we're all told to bring our cheque books with us). I think I'll be expected to pay once my wish list is somewhat more finalized. As of right now, there wasn't much on it (<3K) as i didn't do too many electrical/plumbing/structural changes - and i wasn't even asked to pay. To be quite frank, the topic of payment didn't even come up. We just agreed that we'd go in a second time to finalize our Tier I changes once i know the final pricing and confirmation on items such as the Stairs staining; sump pump and whether the grading permits a garage entrance from inside the house.
As for the fridge water line - the wording is as follows: "Supply and install valve for ice maker at fridge (does not include connection to fridge). Valve and water line to be located below fridge location in basement. It is the clients responsibility to connect from the valve to the fridge." ($278 + HST)

I hope this helped

Last edited by spw2373; 2011-01-24 at 08:03 PM.
Old 2011-01-24, 09:43 PM
Regular User

you guys know that you can buy the ice maker hose kits from HomeDepot for $14 right?

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber

not where I'd spend my upgrade dollars
Old 2011-01-24, 11:49 PM
Regular User

I guess my ramblings are good for something
Thanks for the GREAT advice DanTheMan!!

$278+HST is pretty steep compared to $14 at the home depot! Did a quick search - the installation part looks pretty doable too...

Old 2011-01-25, 01:56 AM
Regular User

Thanks SPW2373! We got lucky right before Christmas =) We close April 2012 and can't wait.
Old 2011-01-25, 12:31 PM
Regular User

Hey Foxyjo...you guys are really lucky!!! I wish we thought of that before...lol! We got the airconditioner but I think they had to give it to us as we are right on Tremaine. We are going to go with the 3 sided fireplace as the divider instead...although we still don't know how much it's going to cost through the builder. We also close April 2012...can't wait!!!

Thanks SPW....I'm looking more forward to tier 2 than tier 1. Did they say when they will start booking tier 2 apts? The girl on the phone said they have to be done by June, not 100% sure though.

Out of curiousity when you guys signed did you cap your closing costs? We didn't, and are afraid to be paying WAY more than what was on that sheet they gave to us when we signed.

Thanks DanTheMan...you just saved me $300 for the ice maker kit!
Old 2011-01-25, 05:48 PM
Regular User

I know =) We also got the air conditioner too as we are right next to another Randall that is right next to Tremaine. we're on narin circle... We haven't booked our Tier 1, they said they'd call us. I heard the fireplace could be almost $5000. The decor center does not have one on display but they will send you a pic.

Our lawyer capped our closing costs though. I can't wait till closing either and am excited. That's great that we have the forum and can keep each other aware of the happenings as we go along!
Old 2011-01-25, 06:14 PM
Regular User

Hi Guys - how was the AC unit 'thrown in'...? was this an incentive of some sort...? humm...

As for Tier II appointment... i don't actually know when it will be as i haven't scheduled it yet. But i was told that the complete Tier II prices will become available within the next two months. So based on that, i assume my tier II will be sometime after April 1st. I hope that helps.

I capped my closing costs during the 5 day review period...even thou my lawyer insisted that i didn't 'need to' as Arista is a great builder and has never charged the homeowner some crazy amount. Having said that; i think my lawyer is a retard. So - Take that with a grain of salt.

(you can never be too careful)

spw

Last edited by spw2373; 2011-01-25 at 06:18 PM.
Old 2011-01-25, 06:17 PM
Regular User

Quick question - could i get some feedback on crown moulding for the kitchen cabinets... I'm considering adding this as an upgrade. Oak crown moulding ($1830) without stain. Staining will be extra...but i don't know the price of the staining yet (wasn't available).

Please keep in mind this is my first house; and i have no experience in the 'handy-man' ways..lol. BUT, i totally intend to make this purchase a learning experience!

thanks!

spw