Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2011-03-01, 10:36 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippet0 View Post
I only wish they had more options for the pre-finished hardwood floor. I wanted maple but all they have is red oak.
Sorry to jump in your thread, but which builder is this? Do they allow you to go to their supplier to check out the other hardwood options?
I'm with Tartan, and they use Continental on Colonade. I simply went there, picked what I wanted, and then went back and told Tartan. Because it was in a 3 1/4" Red Oak, it was the same price as what they had at the design centre - only we weren't limited to their painfully limited selection! I'd ask them if you could go to their supplier...
FWIW
Old 2011-03-01, 11:04 PM
Regular User

That's a really good point cosmogrrl, you can find out the supplier and go visit them. My cousin bought in the same development and wasn't thrilled at the brick selection, especially when he found out his two favourites were already taken by the neighbours and had to choose something else. He was able to pick out something else from the supplier with no extra charge.

What are some of the differences in maple vs red oak hardwood? I had done some preliminary research but didn't find anything to dissuade me, but I didn't look too hard as the choices were limited to red oak.

As for the central-vac, you can probably get a better deal if you buy it afterwards. I think he quotes 1000$. The rough in is already and place and its' not too hard to instal it into the garage. The only thing is that he is less willing to negotiate on his other prices if you don't get the vaccum. I went with the vac pan and speaker wires and a couple conduits but didn't go with the central vac through him.

have you been inside some of the series 3 models? the way they have dug the garage is strange and so there needs to be 4-6 steps to enter the house from the garage. THis giant platform takes up a huge amount of space. I'm worried my car won't fit in the garage anymore!
Old 2011-03-02, 11:39 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmogrrl View Post
Sorry to jump in your thread, but which builder is this? Do they allow you to go to their supplier to check out the other hardwood options?
I'm with Tartan, and they use Continental on Colonade. I simply went there, picked what I wanted, and then went back and told Tartan. Because it was in a 3 1/4" Red Oak, it was the same price as what they had at the design centre - only we weren't limited to their painfully limited selection! I'd ask them if you could go to their supplier...
FWIW
The builder is Claridge. Today I was more persistent about getting a different type of hardwood so they told me I could in fact go to their supplier and see what they have. Unfortunately, they said it would cost another 30% more, but at east I still have the option of making changes if I really want to.
Old 2011-03-02, 11:59 PM
Regular User

Hi sensfan.

I've attached couple examples of what oak (walnut and brandy colour) vs. maple(walnut and brandy colour) looks like. I find oak floors have an antique look because of the dark lines lines in the wood while maple floors look more modern. The differences are more noticeable with lighter stains.

Yeah, I wasn't intending on buying a central vacuum right away.I just want to make sure there's a central vac rough-in in the garage.

I really hope my garage isn't like that! I visited one model home that had the garage steps in the middle of the garage, which basically meant the garage was useless. The stairs are usually put in the corner to minimize the impact of them.

By the way, I checked out block 10 today and they started putting down the main floor! So far they only have the cross beams done, but at least it's a start. One thing I'm wondering about is what happens when the wood is left out in the snow and rain. Won't that result in water damage to the wood? It's supposed to rain on Saturday/Sunday. Plus, the basement is filled with snow. I really hope they are doing the right thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oak_walnut.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	7900   Click image for larger version

Name:	maple_walnut.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	7901   Click image for larger version

Name:	oak_brandy.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	7902   Click image for larger version

Name:	maple_brandy.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	7903  

Last edited by whippet0; 2011-03-03 at 12:03 AM.
Old 2011-03-03, 01:03 PM
Regular User

I see what you mean. When I was looking at the samples they had there, I felt that the prefinished ones had less of grain visible compared to the site finished ones. That was a big part of why I went with prefinished. It might be worth checking out what the supplier has to offer, they may not charge you as much as the builder is saying...

I have major doubts that my car will fit in the garage. Especially with that giant platform taking up so much space at the end.... we'll see I guess.

I haven't gone by the site since monday, will probably go tomorrow. They hadn't done anything in a while on my block but all the other units are coming along quite nicely. I would assume that the wood is treated so that it doesn't warp or rot or anything. I would hope it's not a problem!
Old 2011-06-05, 08:10 AM

Check out tennis Wimbledon matches and information here

Wimbledon 2011 Schedule
Old 2011-08-23, 01:59 PM
Regular User

Anyone have a town with a retaining wall? What's with the chain link fence they're putting up around it? I thought they'd put in something nicer.
Old 2011-08-25, 10:16 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by daboss999 View Post
Anyone have a town with a retaining wall? What's with the chain link fence they're putting up around it? I thought they'd put in something nicer.
I agree. It's a big disappointment. We're below the retaining wall and that fence is going to offer zero privacy. The people above us will be able to look straight into our house.
Old 2011-08-25, 10:53 AM
Regular User

I suppose we can get privacy slats:

http://www.sentinelfence.ca/Gallery/390resslats1.jpg

but still... just the look of it is not very nice at all. Considering King's Pointe got these huge nice wood privacy fences put in, I thought we would get the same. I suppose there is nothing we can do about this now?
Old 2011-11-17, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daboss999 View Post
I agree the fence is ugly. I imagine I'll be adding dense plants to hide it.