Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2011-03-07, 10:17 AM

Default xxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Alta_Danny; 2011-10-03 at 03:35 PM.
Old 2011-03-07, 10:48 AM
Regular User

We did this in the Holitzner in Deer Run. Makes a huge visual difference and worth every penny imo. With a walkout this would be even better.

Suggest you upsize the windows, and even add 1 or 2 depending on the planned use.
Old 2011-03-07, 03:59 PM
Regular User

Ceiling height from what to what? 8' to 9'? What is the builder charging?

Keep in mind that the builder probably won't be able to dig deeper, both because of the water table and because you are getting a walkout. A friend of mine had their basement upgraded to 9' because she built an in-law suite down there. The downside was that the driveway has a steeper slope and they can't park their camper there.

I'm not sure that made sense.

First closing date: June 30, 2011.
Old 2011-03-07, 04:47 PM
Regular User

Do it if you can.
I moved into my Bristol a few months ago and wish that we had spent the extra money to put towards increasing the height in the basement.

We (okay, my fiancée) opted to spend that money in the kitchen instead, so we left our basement height standard.

Whenever I got downstairs, I try visualizing the basement being done and the extra foot of ceiling height would have been SO much better. There are a couple big I beams that are in the middle of the basement which would create two significant bulkheads in the main basement area.

Old 2011-03-07, 06:28 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume View Post
Ceiling height from what to what? 8' to 9'? What is the builder charging?

Keep in mind that the builder probably won't be able to dig deeper, both because of the water table and because you are getting a walkout. A friend of mine had their basement upgraded to 9' because she built an in-law suite down there. The downside was that the driveway has a steeper slope and they can't park their camper there.

I'm not sure that made sense.
Yume is correct. With a walkout they may not be able to dig any deeper. This means that your home may sit higher. Sometimes the garage will also be higher (and the driveway like Yume said) but many times the garage and driveway will not be higher and it will result in more steps being required up to the front door and in a few cases I have seen it resulting in too many steps being required in the garage to go up into the house so the door between the home and garage was not allowed (by code).
Old 2011-03-07, 07:00 PM
Regular User

keep in mind guys that this house is being built on a sloped lot so there will be a step down foundation and a frost wall at the rear

the depth in the ground will be determined by the depth of the sewer systems - a minimum slope must be maintained

so the footings will be as deep as that allows (which could be deeper than 8 ft foundations) and the extra foot goes up from there

they are unlikely to raise the garage, so the only issue is how many steps

in deer run (lots of 9 ft basements there) there no issues with steps (they add 2)

I don't know of any code requirement limiting the height of a stairway, so losing your door is remote - it certainly won't happen with that plan in that location imo

I would get the builder to confirm what the design implications are up front in writing - ie number of garage and front steps.

The thing that sells this is to go see a model with it, then one without it - the difference is huge. I don't know anyone that regrets doing it (thats about 25 people), but many with regrets they didn't (once they see the neighbours higher one )

if someone isn't really going to use the basement, probably not worth it. In your case for sure. A high ceiling walk out backing onto greenspace? Priceless.

Hope this helps ...

Last edited by good2know; 2011-03-07 at 07:06 PM.
Old 2011-03-07, 07:11 PM
Regular User

I upgraded to 9 foot ceilings in my basement and am glad I did. Neighbours who did not regret not going for it. This is a structural upgrade that you will never be able to do later, unless you jack up the house (assuming it is single) for tens of thousands of dollars. The upside is that your foundation will be higher allowing you to properly grade soil sloping down and away from the house better than if your foundation is too close to the existing finished grade. This has the added bonus of reducing the likelihood of water penetration in your basement. The bonus is that your basement will feel more like liveable space, and not just a basement.
You state that your son right now is 6'6" and he will have a bedroom in the basement. Unless you want him to limbo underneath the bulkheads, you should go for the upgrade.