Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2011-06-10, 02:37 PM

Have an Eton, moved in June 2010...

Builder told us bad idea to put in AC after we take possession as the size of the mess the installer would make in the basement. The ceiling would have to be re-tapped, re-sanded ,re-painted and re-sprayed..blah blah blah..They made it sound like my basement would have to be redone...

Builder was telling us to go with them at a cost of 4dimes..

Took possesion had AC installed by a professional company for 1800 which incl warranty with no mess, no issue, and no hassles. They were able are to run the lines within the bulkhead to the exterior of the house. They were done in less then one day. Had it installed the day after we took possession.

If every Eton is built the same, specifically the location of the furnace and how it lines up with your bulk head I would suggest having it done after you take possession.

The builder marks up 30% for anything you get through them.
Old 2011-06-10, 02:41 PM

Thanks a lot for all your replies so far. I guess I'm still not sure either way on what to do. I suppose we will just need to do some research on both ends.

I guess my other concern as mentioned by someone else was about noise and quality of the AC unit. If having the AC done by Tamarack isn't that much more pricey than the hassle it might be to do it after, than I would rather do that, but it would be nice to have a decent unit. And as the previous poster mentioned, we would just put more down to cover the cost.
Eton Model, Option #2
Jackson Trails
Old 2011-06-10, 03:33 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerapau View Post
Your builder won't allow you to pay for it seperately but really, all you have to do is put more down and don't increase your mortgage to pay for the A/C.

As far as the appliances are concerned, sure, nothing is free, but I would hope that the builder is getting a really good bulk discount for them. Besides, the same could really be said for any part of your home that doesn't last the life of your mortgage. You are still paying for that carpet that you replaced after 10 years for the life of your mortgage. Same for a lot of stuff. Heck, people regularly move into a new home and replace the countertops/flooring as soon as they move in. Yep, they are paying for the original countertops/flooring for the life of the mortgage even though they throw them away. Part of owning a home I guess(at least for those of us who can't afford to pay cash for their homes).
I had a couple side agreements with my builder that they just billed me for directly as opposed to adding it to my sales agreement. Made it easier for both sides.

I guess the appliance thing is a personal choice. I see the counters and flooring in a home similarly to the roof of the house. They're all part of the house and will need to be replaced over the mortgage period - that's a reality of home ownership. I can't choose to exclude the roof, flooring or counters from the sales agreement. I can however choose to not include appliances and air conditioners.

Preferably, as you said, I would just like to buy the house cash and be done with it!!
Old 2011-06-14, 04:29 PM
Regular User

I asked a similar question a few weeks back regarding this as I have a friend who is also looking to purchase a Tamarack. He spoke to a future neighbour and was informed that it is possible to have an a/c installed on a midunit with little to no hassle after sale.