Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Halton Region > Milton

Milton For residents of and soon to be residents of Milton communities. Starlane, Century Grove, Beaverhall, Greenpark, Falconcrest, Tiffany Park Homes, Heathwood Homes, Country Homes, Harkin, North Star and more.

Old 2011-06-20, 07:05 PM
Regular User

Default Wet insulation and mold spots

Hello All,

I am in Milton Phase 3 area on Savoline and I am in search for some advice.

We just moved into our house at the end of March, this is a newly built home. About 2 weeks ago I noticed about an inch of water inside our vapor barrier due to condensation forming on the inside. So the bottom of the pink insulation was soaked. At that point I purchased a 70 pint dehumidifier, which is overkill for our size house but I figured it is better than to big than not big enough. I didn't see much difference and I also noticed very small black dots forming around the wet areas (mold).

So at that point I cut very small vertical lines down the plastic barrier around the wet areas and after about a week the insulation is drying up.

During this time I have been trying to get the builder here to look at the damage and they arrived today. They said it is drying up nicely and to wait until my 120 day inspection to place this on the form (end of July). They said it was minor.

My concern is the mold, there is not much but I have heard nightmares about this type of thing and I am pretty paranoid about it. Should I be waiting until August before someone looks at this again or should I be going to Tarion about this now?

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated.
Pictures are attached of 3 areas, it is pretty much everywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	8638   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	8639   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	8640  
Old 2011-06-20, 09:35 PM
Regular User

It is very common to see wet insulation in newly built homes. You will probably notice your walls sweating more when you run your a/c. I was going to suggest cutting the vapour barrier, but you did that already. You should actually cut it into a cross shape and you should also cut the insulation to exposed the concrete. The builder cut my insulation open When I complained about moisture. I don't have any sweating walls this year (I have been in my house 1 year). Just make sure you tuck tape (red tape) in the heating season.
Old 2011-06-20, 10:13 PM
Regular User

That is a bit of a relief. thanks for the info.
Like I said though, I am concern about the possible mold growth. Any advice there?
Old 2011-07-17, 04:56 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by and2582 View Post
That is a bit of a relief. thanks for the info.
Like I said though, I am concern about the possible mold growth. Any advice there?
Don't worry about mold growth right now. Mold will not grow on the fiberglass. It will, after a long time, grow on dust and dirt that is on the fiberglass, but it will not grow there now.

Run your dehumidifier and drain it into the floor drain or sump pit so that it stays running.

Many people in the summer close the supply registers in basements but when there are humidity issues then leave one or two open. This will keep the air moving.

I would suggest you NOT cut right through the insulation or cut cross shapes in the vapour barrier. If you want a path for humidity to escape from behind the barrier then cut large upside down V's into the barrier only every 12 feet or so. Pull the plastic down to expose the insulation.

In the fall you will need to repair the cuts in the vapour barrier with red "Tuck Tape". The V shape will make that easy.

AC also removes humidity from homes.

Andy Shaw - Halton Home Inspection Service - 905 876 4761 - www.haltoninspections.com

Last edited by Halton Home Inspector; 2011-07-17 at 04:59 PM.