Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Hamilton-Wentworth > Waterdown

Waterdown Mountainview Heights, Starlane Homes and more!

Old 2011-10-28, 12:11 PM
Regular User

We went with some pot lights inside/out- not upstairs though, that can be done pretty easily afterwards as you can go thru the attic. We also did the upgraded walk in shower, has seamless glass surround and bench, they have an example of it in the showroom - it is $3800. Went with a couple of other things like french doors off of kitchen to backyard - $1500, gas line for stove,larger windows in basement, smooth ceilings on main floor etc. You don't have to sign off on anything after your first appointment but do have to go back again within a few weeks to sign off and pay your 50%. Yup, you have to pay 50% up front for your upgrades, the remaining goes onto your mortgage. They do the same set up for your decor upgrades. So save your pennies!!
Old 2011-10-28, 04:18 PM
Regular User

Thanks for the info. I was hoping the $7500 in upgrades would cover everything. lol
Old 2011-10-28, 04:32 PM
Regular User

Lol, so did I! doesn't even put a dent in it! oh one more thing, if you want to upgrade kitchen cabinets they have upgrade ranges from 1-5, even to go to a level 2 upgrade is about $8000!
Old 2011-11-04, 08:44 AM

we are going on Monday for the appointment. Just wondering if anyone has requrested any layout changes?? Cost?? We bought the Cliffview 5 and wanted to change the downstairs layout..... any info would be great!
Old 2011-11-07, 11:54 AM
Regular User

Anyone know when they start digging basements? Drove by on the weekend not much going on
Old 2011-11-09, 09:06 AM
Regular User

They are still placing the hydro at this point, once that is done they will start foundations.
Old 2011-11-10, 07:33 AM

went for our first visit and we are not all that happy. Bought teh Cliffview 5 and the island in the kitchen (if you can call it that) is only 2'5"x2'5".......that is a joke!!!! we are totally pissed and plan on sending a letter to Starlane and Selba. I didnt buy a 450k house to have a tiny useless Island!!!
There were a few other irritating things about the appointment. They want $1200 to paint the trim in the house white....it comes in either Oyster or Birch white.....seriously?!!
We were disappointed in the selection of kitchen cabinets. We wanted the Mission cabinet in White, they dont have it. to get a decent cabinet is a $7000 upgrade....and I dont think that even includes like a bank of drawers or any other types of cabinets....
we are not impressed at the moment. Has anyone else been to the decor centre??
Old 2011-11-10, 01:48 PM
Regular User

Thats horrible Sheena. I find it funny they give us a $7500 credit in upgrades but they make the standard kitchen cabinets so cheap that you have to use the entire amount to upgrade the cabinets to something that looks decent. Regarding the trim issue, builders paint is normally soooo watered down I would repaint it yourself. My appointment isn't until Nov 28 but my buddy went through the entire process in Oakville about a year ago and had the same complaints. I guess they didn't do anything about it. Good luck with your email, let us know what they say.

I'm still excited about our appointment for some reason.

What other upgrades did you go with?
Old 2011-11-15, 09:21 PM
Regular User

I am getting a little concerned. I think we bought Cliffview 5 and we were very excited about the island in the middle. Are you able to make it larger, but obviously pay a lot more for it? 2.5x2.5 is not big at all, and I will be very disappointed.
Our closing is November, but we have not been contacted for anything yet....I am dying to find out prices, but I know I don't want to pay them!!!!
Keep your comments coming, I love it.

Tara
Old 2011-11-20, 10:24 PM

Angry Appointment for Structural Changes

I went to Starlane Homes for my structural changes appointment. It was a disappointment. I bought Greenville 6 and was quite surprised to know many things would require to be unavoidably upgraded. We were given some prices: $16,000 to upgrade tiles on main floor to Grade 5 or $6,000 to 7000 to Grade 3; over $3,000 to upgrade second floor carpet to Grade 3; $7,700 to upgrade kitchen cabinets by 2 grades (a basic rather than a luxury), very few choices and colours for standard and the first upgrade, therefore, buyers have little chance of not upgrading by 2 grades, the CS rep said it was the most common choice; overall, I was quite unhappy about this builder. This is my third new home. My previous new home builder did much better to service home buyers. In particular, they provided a lot more choices. Prices for upgrades were much fairer than Starlane.