Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2011-07-14, 02:24 PM
Regular User

Default Bad Mattamy

I would not recommend Mattamy if you have other comparable options in that area.

Let alone the potential more quality issues in their houses, unethical pratice directed from their bad management to its customers is another thing you have to be aware of if you get problems. Stay away.
Old 2011-07-14, 03:33 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost_Home View Post
Mattamy got stuck with alot of crappy leftover trades in Ottawa when they moved here.
I'm going to have to partially contest that. Most Fairwinds Phase 1 and alot of phase 2 homeowners were dealt decent houses - the issues came in the end of Phase 2, 3, 4 and well, 5 never happened (when it was supposed). So I wouldn't say they "got stuck" with crappy trades, because the started off here good. I would say - you get what you pay for.
There have been many lawsuits with regards to Mattamy not paying their trades.
My cousin has had major structural issues with her town in Kanata.
That being said, HMB homeowners seem to have had a better experience.

Last edited by Cosmogrrl; 2011-07-14 at 03:36 PM.
Old 2011-07-14, 03:49 PM
Regular User

I'd say if you like the house go for it. We love our Mattamy home and had nothing but a pleasent experiencing from the get go, from moving in 2 months earlier than expected to having any warranty issues dealt with in a professional, timely manner.

Good luck!
Old 2011-07-14, 04:18 PM
Regular User

We have a Mattamy home in HMB and have been really happy with the house. We were delayed almost 4 months, however. If closing date is critical for you, then Mattamy may be a poor choice since they frequently seem to have problems with closing dates. But as for the quality of the house, no complaints. We have had only minor issues and everything was fixed quickly and properly the first time. Every issue was dealt with easily and they never tried to get out of fixing anything. They also fixed some stuff that was not under warrenty which they said was "just to be nice". I would say, their warrenty service is their strong point, at least from my experience. I know others haven't been so lucky. It probably really depends on what team you get.
Old 2011-07-14, 06:47 PM
Regular User

It seems alot of people who don't live in a mattamy home are saying DONT go with them..... But the people who do live there seems to like it and dont have a problem.... Does that seem right............ What to do?

THanks everyone for the reply
Old 2011-07-14, 07:39 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenaan View Post
It seems alot of people who don't live in a mattamy home are saying DONT go with them..... But the people who do live there seems to like it and dont have a problem.... Does that seem right............ What to do?

Take a drive in a Mattamy neighbourhood at HMB and talk to some current owners and see what their responses are like and go from there.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2011-07-14, 10:19 PM
Regular User

Quote:

Maybe there is a reason for that...we would NEVER buy a Mattamy because I know someone who did and has had nothing but issues with their place (and i am not talking little problems but larger ones) why would i want to waste my time and money with that?
IMO you get what you pay for...
Old 2011-07-15, 12:19 AM
Regular User

The problem with asking advice on questions like this is you'll probably won't find much help in the answers.
I know people who have purchased a 600,000 + Phoenix home and regret it everyday. And it started when they showed up with their moving van and saw they had no carpets in the entire house.
I know people that would never buy Minto again, Ashbury, Richcraft, Urbandale and on and on and on. And they have all spent a lot more money on their houses then me.
People who are unhappy are generally louder then people who are living happily in their homes.
Old 2011-07-15, 12:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
You may as well disregard those without first hand knowledge of owning one of the homes.

There are differences all over. Mattamy builds a thousand of houses a year in the GTA, and the results have them tend to end up in the top 3, if not number 1 (according to the JD Powers Surveys)

Remember people love to complain and/or gossip about problems. Very rarely will you have anyone actually talk about the good stuff.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2011-07-15, 01:01 AM
Regular User

I did quite a bit of research on different builders before choosing one, as Greg said you will hear mostly the negetive especially on a forum. Some things I did were to talk to people who are in homes all over the city and are familular with the quality and the end result a few of these people are home inspectors, HVAC guys, appliance installers, Home automation, Central vac installers, phone/cable guy, realtors, window coverings etc. Most will give you a personal opinion and some will even tell you how pleased or not pleased they are when they show up in the morning at a new house and find out its "that" builder. I stayed away from bigger companies who may have contracts with builders.