Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2011-09-26, 12:15 PM
Regular User

Red face Fireplace fan kit

Hi everyone, I'm looking for opinions on whether or not I should add a fireplace fan kit ($560) and/or fireplace thermostat control ($67)to my fireplace (via builder upgrades). I've never had a fireplace before, so I don't have any experience at all on how important it is (or isn't) to have one.

The fireplace will be in a family room (12' 4" x 12') which opens up into the dining room and breakfast nook/kitchen. Would adding a ceiling fan be another option (to help circulate the warm air). Which do you think would be better? Or should I do both?

My husband and I aren't exactly the "handy" types, so if we got it done afterwards, we would need to hire someone to do it, and I'm a little worried that the builder might not connect the electrical plug that I assume will be under the fireplace.

All thoughts welcome, thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	floorplan.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	9050  
Old 2011-09-26, 02:48 PM
Regular User

ildara the fan is useful in pushing more air from around the firebox

These are always a bit noisy even at low speed and I find they are not needed for heating up a single room.

I suggest you wait and see - thats a crazy high price - because it can always be installed later. You can get a fan for about $150.

You could do a test with a small fan to see.

Ceiling fan is good idea to move the heat around.

The thermostat is good idea because it turns it off when too hot and turns it on if there is a no furnace heat situation. These cost $35 - $40 so thats not a bad builder price.
Old 2011-09-26, 03:53 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta_Danny View Post
Hi

It really depends on what FP you have? If its a Napoleon they are awesome for fans ect, if its a CFM / Majestic...DON'T...The Blot fan SUCKS!!!!!!

I am not sure your location or what FP you have so I cant helps you as much as i would like to.
Builder is Mattamy in Kanata Fairwinds. I didn't think to ask what brand fireplace the standard is, and it doesn't say in the design catalogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
The thermostat is good idea because it turns it off when too hot and turns it on if there is a no furnace heat situation. These cost $35 - $40 so thats not a bad builder price.
Thanks, we had opted for a double-car garage opener installed for approximately the same price ($600 with 1 extra remote), and now I'm looking for something of approximate equivalent price because we decided it would be cheaper to buy and install that afterwards. (Just saw a 3/4 hp belt drive at Sears for $400 installed, or 1/2 hp for $250.)
Old 2011-09-26, 04:06 PM
Regular User

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta_Danny View Post
Hi

Harding did the fireplaces there and they are CFM Fireplaces. You do not want to get a fan..it is extremely noisy (the BLOT Fan) and the noise will take away from your enjoyment. A fan is not necessary, it is nice but it really does not add to the warmth of your home, the Furnace does that. Call Harding The Fireplace if you need more info..Kim is the contact there.

http://www.teamharding.net/fireplace.html
+1, I think ceiling fans are old fashioned.
Old 2011-09-26, 04:41 PM
Regular User

Is Harding doing the 'new' phase?
Old 2011-09-26, 06:16 PM
Regular User

your room is too small for a fan anyway - just the heat from the fireplace will make it very hot after a short period of time. you'll probably end up turning the flame setting down.
Old 2011-09-27, 10:16 AM
Regular User

Mattamy Fairwinds Phase 5 - I think thats where OP's purchase is.
Old 2011-09-29, 08:23 PM
Regular User

If you want a fan, do it after closing. We had one installed by a local HVAC contractor. $280 for the fan installed. Our builder wanted $600 as an upgrade
Old 2011-09-30, 02:55 PM
Regular User

Thanks everyone for the feedback, decided not to go with the fireplace fan kit. (I sure hope the soft close drawer slides on my pot and pan drawer is worth it ($650)!