Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2011-11-17, 10:45 AM
Regular User

Default Tartan - Bayfield

Hi everyone!

This is my first posting, but definitely not the first time I've visited the website.
Everyone's posting and threads have been so useful and its so exciting reading through various progress threads!

We're considering the new Tartan Havencrest location in Barrhaven.

We originally wanted the 4 bedroom Amherst model (especially after following Nanners' progress thread), but after seeing the Carlan model home in SohoWest and the massive ensuite, we realized that the awesome ensuite would not be possible with the 4th bedroom .

So are considering the next model up "Bayfield". Unfortunately they're no model homes for it and there's not a lot of discussion regarding this model.

Can someone please shed some light on this model...
Did you get one?
What did you love about it?
What would you change about it?
Have you seen a built Bayfield before?

Its so scary going into this without seeing what the real thing would look like, so any advice would be extremely helpful!
Old 2011-11-17, 11:11 AM
Regular User

The Bayfield is a fairly new model (within their last release of models) and I think two people have that model on here.
I'm sure one will chime in on the thread.
Good luck!
Old 2011-11-17, 01:35 PM
Regular User

Let me preface this by saying that I have not personally seen a Bayfield but I have a few comments/suggestions, based purely on the floor plan:

1) The kitchen is an interior kitchen with no windows. We have a similar kitchen and the lack of natural light drives me insane. You do have good natural light in eating area, which is important. I would personally budget for a fair amount of extra lighting in the work area of this kitchen. I like the proximity of the dining room to the kitchen - works well for entertaining.

2) The two storey, open to above foyer gives me a bit of concern. I don't know if you have children, but I would be concerned about noise from the front door (guests arriving, leaving etc.) would carry upstairs to the bedrooms. Does Tartan offer the option of closing that off? That would gain you additional floor space upstairs for a loft area and perhaps an extra closet (see #3). We have a two-storey living room, which looks very grand, but is completely impractical

3) The linen closet upstairs looks really small to me. If you close off the open to below area, I would suggest adding another linen closet in that area.

I love the great room and the dining room. The house seems to have a good flow. Good luck with your decision!
Old 2011-11-17, 04:39 PM
Regular User

If you do a search for "Bayfield", you may get some more info...but as Cosmo says its a pretty new model!

We just moved into our second Tartan home and have been very happy with them. Good Luck!
Old 2011-11-17, 06:46 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmogrrl View Post
The Bayfield is a fairly new model (within their last release of models) and I think two people have that model on here.
I'm sure one will chime in on the thread.
Good luck!
LOL, I'm surprised that the two Bayfield owners are noticed on here at all! Well, I'm one of those, and probably will be the first one living in it come Jan 2012. Our PDI is going to be just before the holidays, we are so excited!
Old 2011-11-17, 06:54 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindybear View Post
Hi everyone!

This is my first posting, but definitely not the first time I've visited the website.
Everyone's posting and threads have been so useful and its so exciting reading through various progress threads!

We're considering the new Tartan Havencrest location in Barrhaven.

We originally wanted the 4 bedroom Amherst model (especially after following Nanners' progress thread), but after seeing the Carlan model home in SohoWest and the massive ensuite, we realized that the awesome ensuite would not be possible with the 4th bedroom .

So are considering the next model up "Bayfield". Unfortunately they're no model homes for it and there's not a lot of discussion regarding this model.

Can someone please shed some light on this model...
Did you get one?
What did you love about it?
What would you change about it?
Have you seen a built Bayfield before?

Its so scary going into this without seeing what the real thing would look like, so any advice would be extremely helpful!
We purchased a Bayfield, and it will be ready in Jan. They are building a model home at FC, and unfortunately the doors are locked but I suggest you drive by to take a peek. You can see through the sidelights at the main entrance.

We love the light at the front entrance because it's so opened, and the rest of the house has a good flow. We made some changes and turned one of the bedroom into a loft so it looks over the front entrance. We also moved the laundry area to the mud room, that made the built-in a little small. I don't mind that since I really didn't like the laundry upstairs.

We are our PDI next month and will keep you posted! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!
Old 2011-11-18, 10:00 AM
Regular User

Thank you for the info!

We're planning to relocate the washer n dryer as well, but to the basement, because we need space for a drying rack and place to hang clothes. We were thinking to have the builder finish the 2/f laundry as is and we will just put in shelves after closing for use as large linen closet So come resale, that feature is still available.

We thought the idea for the open front foyer was really nice n will help light up the area with the second floor window. We don't have any children yet, but when we do, we'll just need to make sure they can sleep through anything! Lol

JNMT: were there anything you were worried about since u had to purchase this house from the floor plan only?
Did the floorplan reflect how u felt when u had the framed walk through?
Any pics from ur frame walkthrough or pdi would be greatly appreciated!
(if u rather answer these in private, we can pm. Just thought it maybe beneficial to others that may be considering this model as well)

Thanks for letting us know! Would u happen to know when the bayfield model at fc may be open?

If we decide to go with havencrest we may be in their first phase. They were hoping the closing would be in early 2013. But would my assumptions of a couple months delay be more accurate?

I'm getting anxious because they will be releasing their first lots second week of dec and I still have a million questions!
Old 2011-11-18, 11:44 PM
Regular User

[QUOTE=Sindybear;209387]Thank you for the info!

JNMT: were there anything you were worried about since u had to purchase this house from the floor plan only?
Any pics from ur frame walkthrough or pdi would be greatly appreciated!
(if u rather answer these in private, we can pm. Just thought it maybe beneficial to others that may be considering this model as well)

/QUOTE]

Our worries were that maybe we had missed something on the floor plan and not quite what we had envision in our minds. But everything came out as expected. We were also a little worried because it was going to be the first one being built, the construction may run in the problems that they didn't see and might end up winging it as they go. That I have no control over, and have to trust Tartan for that. We did run into problems here and there, but we manage to work them out. I'm pretty sure but the time they build yours, all the kinks would have been worked out by then.
Old 2011-11-19, 02:22 AM
Regular User

Thanks JNMT! I feel much better knowing we're not the only ones feeling this nervousness. We'll definitely try to swing by the fc community to catch a glimpse of the bayfield if possible.

How has everyone's experiences been with tartan? Has there been lots of delays?
Based on what I've read up to now, there has been nothing but good reviews for all communities by tartan.

This is our first new build and it may be the last (for the next 20+ years we hope), so we hope to get it as perfect as possible, or at least have the basics n space to do renos in future if necessary.
Old 2011-11-29, 04:49 PM
Regular User

[QUOTE=Sindybear;209387]Thank you for the info!

We're planning to relocate the washer n dryer as well, but to the basement, because we need space for a drying rack and place to hang clothes. We were thinking to have the builder finish the 2/f laundry as is and we will just put in shelves after closing for use as large linen closet So come resale, that feature is still available.

QUOTE]

Hey there-- as the other Bayfield person here- we did the exact same thing for the washer/dryer, moved it to basement and kept the original for linen closet . We are a month behind JNMT so you'll be hopefully able to see her PDI pics before the model opens!

I love the floorplan, and we were nervous without the model too, but it looks as we expected and we like it a lot. We did add another window in the basement, moved the door of the master closet and other minor changes. We'll also be using the dining room as a study and add french doors there..

All the best with your selection!