Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2012-01-27, 01:17 PM
Regular User

All a homeowner can do is keep the humidity in the desired range, and keep some airflow above and below the floor.

From what I have seen the majority of problems are caused by the initial installation by the builder.

The house is very damp from propane heaters, drying framing, dryawall compound and/or painting. The subfloor has absorbed a lot of moisture.

The wood goes from warehouse to truck and is installed all the same day. It may get installed too tight.

All this causes the wood to swell and you get the cupping, splits, cracks when it dries out later.

What I'm not sure of, is how long it takes. But I've seen floors that looked ok at the pdi but then all this happens after possession as the house humidity and temperatures stabilize.

So the symptoms of the install problem may not appear until after you own the house and then its 'all the buyers fault'.

Last edited by good2know; 2012-01-27 at 01:57 PM.
Old 2012-01-27, 03:22 PM
Regular User

Oh no...

So when you mean wider planks, how wide do you mean. I just upgraded my hardwood to 3 1/4" maple dark stain (oxford grey)... Am I crazy?!

Also, you think it would help by getting a humidifier (added $450) hooked up to the furnace?

I'm living in a house right now that has 2 1/4" oak, dark stain (oxford grey as well) and it's still in perfect condition, 1.5 years old...

What do you think? Should I reconsider?

Thanks for this post! - couldn't be better timing
Old 2012-01-27, 03:47 PM
Regular User

One other thing to keep in mind is that engineered hardwood is much better at keeping humidity issues at check. I am not sure why so many people frown at engineered hardwood (I am not talking about laminate here) because once installed the better brands look exactly like solid hardwood and the better brands can be refinished at a later date.

If you want to reduce (but not eliminate completely) some of the issues with humidity then engineered hardwood is an option, especially for wider plank sizes.
Old 2012-01-27, 03:50 PM
Regular User

Based on our experiences, the 3 1/4 maple dark stain has been a big problem and we would never use it again

Sorry to say that based on our neighbourhood discussions, that floor without problems is a rare exception.

That seems pricey for a humidifier but depends on what it is. It would be cheaper after possession in any case, but yes get one. And a dehumidifer.

A few people on here have the oxford grey and hopefully they will chime in.

Again, based on our experiences and friends / neighbours, I recomend you reconsider.

Better choice is the dark oak in 3 1/4, or even narrower.

I've never had one and would be afraid to go wider than 3 1/4 through a builder.
Old 2012-01-27, 03:54 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerapau View Post
One other thing to keep in mind is that engineered hardwood is much better at keeping humidity issues at check. I am not sure why so many people frown at engineered hardwood (I am not talking about laminate here) because once installed the better brands look exactly like solid hardwood and the better brands can be refinished at a later date.

If you want to reduce (but not eliminate completely) some of the issues with humidity then engineered hardwood is an option, especially for wider plank sizes.
+1 to that

To my knowledge they look identical. The only difference is it can only be refinished (sanded off completely) just once whereas hardwood can be done a few times. But who does that ever?

It is more more stable and should be considered.
Old 2012-01-27, 04:35 PM
Regular User

I have 3 1/4" Red Oak Oxford Grey and I hate it. Probably the most regrettable discussion in my whole house (and I got Cloud White lacquer birch cabinets - clearly it was fashion over function for me ).
The width of the wood is very vulnerable - we got an a/c in May and a dehumidifier mid-summer but the damage was done. Cupped boards that only uncupped to a certain degree.
Happy with the oak because it does camoflague the zillions of dings - I'd never get maple because it will show everything because of the smooth surface. Also, cupping in maple I can imagine would be crazy noticeable.
Not to mention I consider my Oxford Grey defective because the sides of the planks/boards don't appear stained consistently. All they want to do to fix it is chase around with a stain marker that keeps washing off when we wash the floor.
/end rant
Old 2012-01-27, 04:55 PM
Regular User

oh man..

Thanks alot everyone for all the info!

I'll have to talk to the wife hehe
Old 2012-01-27, 05:02 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmogrrl View Post
The width of the wood is very vulnerable - we got an a/c in May and a dehumidifier mid-summer but the damage was done. Cupped boards that only uncupped to a certain degree.
Happy with the oak because it does camoflague the zillions of dings - I'd never get maple because it will show everything because of the smooth surface. Also, cupping in maple I can imagine would be crazy noticeable.
Hey Cosmogrrl, can you show me a picture of how cupped they are?

I just can't imagine them being that bad? My sister has the red oak (oxford grey) in the smaller 2 1/4" planks and they look amazing, no cupping, no stain problems... etc. hmmmmm

Thanks!!
Old 2012-01-27, 06:07 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
+1 to that

To my knowledge they look identical. The only difference is it can only be refinished (sanded off completely) just once whereas hardwood can be done a few times. But who does that ever?

It is more more stable and should be considered.
Some of the better brands claim their engineered floors can be sanded more than once. Mirage, for example, claims that their engineered flooring can be sanded 3 to 5 times. Vintage solid sawn, which is a type of engineered hardwood can also be refinished a number of times and is probably one of the best hardwood floors at resisting problems due to humidity. Both of these manufacturers sell engineered hardwood that is impossible for the average person to differentiate from solid hardwood.
Old 2012-01-27, 06:35 PM
Regular User

We have Tartan standard Red Oak Vogue. Honestly, I have no complains. The floor in whole looks much better then the sample in the design centre. Do not see any cupping and color is beautiful. I have to use my swiffer more often then in previous house with the honey oak. Long story short, we did not spend a dime on our floors and they look very nice.