Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2012-02-03, 08:55 PM
Regular User

We lived in RSS for 5 years and loved it. We moved west to Stittsville because I see my parents a min of three times a week and they live in Kanata.
Loved RSS - it was such a great community. And traffic wasn't that bad. It was about 25-30mins everywhere (family in west, family in east, work at Rideau).
Happy medium
Thank goodness I work in the west end now because Stittsville to Rideau everyday would get old real fast...
Old 2012-02-03, 09:33 PM
Regular User

I work at the airport also, and just moved into Findlay Creek. Not much traffic at all in the morning through Albion, and only minutes away... maybe you might consider looking here.
Old 2012-02-03, 09:36 PM

You've all got some valid points.

To clarify...

1. I live in Barrhaven now (Mattamy village home). I grew up here and I don't mind the area... it has loads of stuff, but Urbandale isn't building here and the prices are getting bad. Plus they keep expanding out that it actually is becoming a pain for the commute. I grew up around Woodroffe/Fallowfield, so being on that northern fringe was fantastic... very easy to get out. Now if I wanted to buy new (which I do), it'd be deep into Stonebridge/HMB. We're looking at Minto homes but the price difference is just getting too much.

2. I don't work at the actual airport. I work at the air traffic control tower which is accessed off of Limebank, so my current commute is Greenbank-Fallowfield-Prince of Wales-Hunt Club-Limebank. I would plan to commute either Stonehaven-Fallowfield-Prince of Wales, or Stonehaven-Hunt Club. I also work 7-3, but the commute info is valuable for those off-days that I don't work those hours.

---

My plan is to stick around for about 2-5 years. I'm wondering if with all the construction near Bridlewood, the price of homes will really go up? I feel like RSS is so expensive already, I can't really imagine reselling a townhome for profit there (it'd be $350K to break even, basically).
Old 2012-02-04, 02:38 PM
Regular User

If you are considering Barrhaven, I know Tartan is building semis and towns for phase I of Havencourt with closing dates for next year, the area is already serviced so the homes there, once sales begin, will be moving much faster than Havencrest. They are a great builder too with great standard options.

We used to be in Barrhaven ourselves, must say when you are the 417 I always feel like the entire back up is up to the Woodroffe exit, coming east in the morning it starts at woodroffe or pinecrest anyway the community has certainly grown..but this is another thread altogether.
Old 2012-02-04, 10:32 PM
Regular User

No brainer, RS for sure! Especially if you work off Limebank, I don't even see how it's a question.
Old 2012-02-05, 10:39 AM
Regular User

I have to agree with Springwater. RSS is the best place to go other then Findlay Creek if you want quick access to the airport. I live in RSS and absolutely love it.
Old 2012-02-05, 04:46 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by abucket9 View Post
You've all got some valid points.

To clarify...

1. I live in Barrhaven now (Mattamy village home). I grew up here and I don't mind the area... it has loads of stuff, but Urbandale isn't building here and the prices are getting bad. Plus they keep expanding out that it actually is becoming a pain for the commute. I grew up around Woodroffe/Fallowfield, so being on that northern fringe was fantastic... very easy to get out. Now if I wanted to buy new (which I do), it'd be deep into Stonebridge/HMB. We're looking at Minto homes but the price difference is just getting too much.

2. I don't work at the actual airport. I work at the air traffic control tower which is accessed off of Limebank, so my current commute is Greenbank-Fallowfield-Prince of Wales-Hunt Club-Limebank. I would plan to commute either Stonehaven-Fallowfield-Prince of Wales, or Stonehaven-Hunt Club. I also work 7-3, but the commute info is valuable for those off-days that I don't work those hours.

---

My plan is to stick around for about 2-5 years. I'm wondering if with all the construction near Bridlewood, the price of homes will really go up? I feel like RSS is so expensive already, I can't really imagine reselling a townhome for profit there (it'd be $350K to break even, basically).
We are pretty much in the same situation as you. We currently live in Barrhaven, and both work in the east end, Walkley area. We also fell in love with the Urbandale Frisco upon looking at it and ended up purchasing an Urbandale Pasadena in Bridlewood. There were a few factors that made us choose Bridlewood over Riverside South:

1. Price, the same house in Riverside South was 30K - 40K more, in our mind that was more money that we could spend on upgrades or less of a mortgage for the same home.

2. Established area, with the new Walmart, Farmboy and Loblaws Supercentre already there, everything has such close proximity for the things we need and won't be waiting for things to be built. As well as lots of schools around for resale down the road.

3. Proximity to friends and family, we have friends that have purchased in Stittsville and Richmond, so made more sense to us.

The only downfall / con was it was further from the daily commute to work, but the way that we looked at it was people commute from Carleton Place, Smiths Falls and other outside areas to various ends of the city with much longer commutes than what we would be doing on a daily basis.

So I know most of the people on here have given the thumbs up to Riverside South or Findlay Creek, but just wanted to voice our opinion and give a thumbs up for Bridlewood

3 Bedroom Urbandale Pasadena - Bridlewood
Closing Dec 2012