Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2015-04-28, 12:29 PM
Regular User

Just my 2-cents worth:
- on planet Earth, there will be a discernible level of background radiation due to radon gas emissions.
- in the Ottawa area, there are certain areas where the possibility exists that radon gas concentrations in homes [particularly basements] exceed currently recognized concentrations for safety. As a general guide, homes in Kanata Lakes and Stittsville may have a statistically greater chance of having radon levels above currently acceptable concentrations. Here is the "however": if not measured, it is not possible to state that radon levels in any locations can be assumed to be deemed "safe". For any home., it would be prudent to purchase a radon measurement device, with the best type being one that measures continuously and has an alarm to let you know if the radon level is exceeding safety concentration levels.

WEB: www.ackerhome.ca
PHONE: 613-447-9660
E-MAIL: phil@ackerhome.ca
Old 2015-04-28, 02:57 PM
Regular User

[QUOTE=Inspector Phil Acker;301802]Just my 2-cents worth:
- As a general guide, homes in Kanata Lakes and Stittsville may have a statistically greater chance of having radon levels above currently acceptable concentrations. QUOTE]

I wanted to add, that after all the research I did and talking with the persons who install the radon mitigation systems, and with the city's Health Dept, Morgan's Grant and Carp have high levels of radon - even greater than in Kanata Lakes and Stittsville.
I would definitely recommend to everyone in these areas to test their radon levels. I'm glad we did since our house was affected (while our next door neighbour wasn't).
Old 2015-04-29, 10:06 AM
Regular User

How did you test?
Old 2015-04-29, 01:51 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by snookers16 View Post
How did you test?
I purchased a radon monitor, the 'Safety Siren PRO series 3' (available on ebay). It has continuous monitoring.
I also purchased a kit from Health Canada on Constellation Dr to double check the results. It requires you to keep the test kit for a few days and then mail it to a lab.
Old 2015-04-29, 04:04 PM
Regular User

ok thank you for the info