Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Building and Construction

Building and Construction General topics of building a home and the home construction industry.

Old 2012-04-12, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartBandy View Post
Load bearing wall. To frame it any other way would be madness.

Do you want to get rid of that whole ~18' long wall? It'll need to be posted down to grade in the middle to be more rigid and prevent the upstairs floor from bouncing like a trampoline. Otherwise, that's a biiiig LVL (and bulkhead) you're introducing, and you're probably making the HVAC guy's life miserable.
If that's the case then, when removing the wall, can they not use columns to support the house? You mean even the half wall is aslo a load bearing wall?
Old 2012-04-12, 07:21 PM
Regular User

Lets back up a step .... if I'm understanding all this, the builder is saying they can do it, and are willing to do it.

Based on what builders charge for much simpler changes, the $12,000 price isn't that bad imo. Many builders here would not do this at any price.
Old 2012-04-12, 08:13 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by catherine View Post
If that's the case then, when removing the wall, can they not use columns to support the house? You mean even the half wall is aslo a load bearing wall?
That wall will be over a beam in the basement, posted down to concrete footings every 15' or so. The wall built above is load bearing, supporting the second floor joists. The roof trusses will typically span the entire width of the home.

Even the half wall will have a beam above it, otherwise your bathtub could end up in your kitchen.

If you want to open up that whole 18' wall, and you haven't confirmed that yet, I would probably prefer to see a post in the middle of where the wall used to be, or you'll end up with a larger bulkhead, and by moving the loads to the end of that 18' span, you're messing with the steel beam in the basement, so the steel posts and footings supporting it would have to be moved as well.

All doable. Not exactly easy, and not cheap. You're re-engineering your home.
Old 2012-04-12, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartBandy View Post
That wall will be over a beam in the basement, posted down to concrete footings every 15' or so. The wall built above is load bearing, supporting the second floor joists. The roof trusses will typically span the entire width of the home.

Even the half wall will have a beam above it, otherwise your bathtub could end up in your kitchen.

If you want to open up that whole 18' wall, and you haven't confirmed that yet, I would probably prefer to see a post in the middle of where the wall used to be, or you'll end up with a larger bulkhead, and by moving the loads to the end of that 18' span, you're messing with the steel beam in the basement, so the steel posts and footings supporting it would have to be moved as well.

All doable. Not exactly easy, and not cheap. You're re-engineering your
home.
Ok, I understand now! reading all the posts here was very educational! I will now not give the builder a hard time. I'm going to asks them to do what you stated and hope they charge a little less than 12 grand. Or if possible ask for an insert in the house offer. Is that even possible now?
Old 2012-04-12, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by catherine View Post
Or if possible ask for an insert in the house offer. Is that even possible now?
Have you signed your Purchase Agreement? Then you are waaay past an offer.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2012-04-13, 05:23 PM

I found out that, to take one one wall is 12 grand, to take out half the wall is 6 grand, to put in columns is 1 grand each. On top of that, i have to pay hst. And not including the extended cabinet's price. For i wanted to add more cabinet since I'm removing the wall with the extra cabinet. Now I feel like I am being ripped off. Damn Fung shei! Damn desperation!!!
Old 2012-04-13, 05:27 PM
Regular User

yes that seems excessive