Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2012-05-18, 06:53 PM

Question Chain Link Fence - Recomendations?

I'm looking for someone reputable with a fair price, I have about 200-250 feet of chain link to get done along with 3 or 4 gates. I'm concerned about quality and would like to work with someone who actually cares.

Any recommendations? I'm looking at Al's Fencing right now (http://www.alsfencing.com) but haven't been able to find many reviews.

I've searched this site extensively, but haven't been able to come up with one company that has consistent reviews.

Thanks for all your help! This site is an amazing resource for home owners!
Old 2012-05-18, 11:15 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisv View Post
I'm looking for someone reputable with a fair price, I have about 200-250 feet of chain link to get done along with 3 or 4 gates. I'm concerned about quality and would like to work with someone who actually cares.

Any recommendations? I'm looking at Al's Fencing right now (http://www.alsfencing.com) but haven't been able to find many reviews.

I've searched this site extensively, but haven't been able to come up with one company that has consistent reviews.

Thanks for all your help! This site is an amazing resource for home owners!
We did ours with this company. Very reliable and did a good job.
http://www.capitalfence.ca/
They can also do a custom gate. I got what they call a fancy gate with the design on top instead of square.

--------------------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/funrabbits

http://sunburstmirror.blogspot.com

Pictures from Model Homes:
http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...ead.php?t=6930

CBC Marketplace show on Spray Foam
http://www.cbc.ca/news/spray-foam-in...able-1.2224287
Old 2012-05-20, 09:19 PM

Thank you Waikiki!

I'm going to try to send out an email to various companies and see what kind of response I get. I miscalculated and I'm actually going to need around 300 feet of fence
Old 2012-08-29, 02:46 PM

Just thought I'd follow up on this thread.

I ended up going with Capital Fence. If anyone is interested, I can post details of the materials and photos, but here's a general summary/review.

- Approximately 300 linear feet of fence
- 1 four foot gate
- 1 double gate (7 feet total width)
- Approximate cost: $5200

Initial Call
Talked to Annie on the phone/email who answered my questions and was overall pleasant to deal with. Was told she would call back about a week before my installation date to confirm.

Confirmation
Annie called back, but it was a month early as they had me scheduled for the wrong date. Reconfirmed the correct date. In my initial emails, I stressed that having the fence done on time was a priority as we have dogs and our new home is located close to a main road. I didn't hear back from anyone, so I called a week before the installation date and confirmed that we were good to go.

Timeliness
Setting the posts was scheduled for a Wednesday morning. No one showed up. I had the week off work and it turns out that Annie had called my work number and left a message, even though I had left alternate contact numbers. I wasn't too impressed

Talked to her the next day and was informed that the crew was still at another job and wouldn't be able to make it out until next Tuesday (apparently, they don't sink posts on Fridays and they don't work on weekends and Monday was a holiday).

The crew showed up on Tuesday, 15 minutes late (no big deal) and got to work setting the posts.

Crew
They've obviously done this before and I walked around with them to confirm the location of the posts/fence. I explained my concern about one of the posts being too close to our septic tank and was assured that they dig by hand if they hit something (not sure why they didn't just adjust the position of the post or come up with some other options).

They worked hard and had the posts sunk in a day. I was then told they'd be back on Friday to finish the job (3 days later?).

they ended up coming back on Thursday and finishing it in about half a day.

Workmanship
Overall, the fence looks good and seems sturdy. I had asked that they leave minimal clearance underneath to help keep the dogs in. By doing this the fence isn't level, but that's what I wanted.

They did end up hitting the corner of the septic but assured me it was fine and dug by hand for the rest (no charge).

Gates are sturdy and work like they're supposed to. Most post holes were fine, but some had excess cement on the grass, which we didn't notice until it hardened, which was annoying to remove and fix the grass.

Cleanliness
I might be too picky, but we found about 6 or 7 cigarette butts in our backyard and 1 cellophane wrapper from a cigarette pack. Found another 2 cigarette butts on our driveway (where they mixed the cement). I had also offered the crew some water bottles, which we found on the ground by our deck (wind probably took them, so no big deal). Again, not a huge deal, but I don't think it's very professional to leave garbage around your job site.

Overall
I'm generally happy with the end product. The price was good compared to other companies. I'd give them a rating of 7/10.

I would have liked more suggestions from them about how to have the fence laid out or different options during the planning phase.

Hope this helps